Fishtank for Snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yea i was thinking about 3 foot. Would it matter with a 4 footer? and ninapeas, howd ya seel the fishtank lids? and... how have you setup your ventilation? cheers.

Ok, I think the tank is about 76cm long, 33 cm deep, and about 40cm high. The wooden lid was just nocked up out of necessity, as I only had the glass lids the tank came with (probably what you have Bonus). ON the inside of the lid, there is a lip that sits flush witht eh inside of the glass the whole way round, so there is no gap where snakey can get out.

The top is just wire fly-wire I had laying around, lots of ventolation, and the fluro light can get though alot easier.

When I get home tonight, I will take some pics from the top and inside the lid to give you a better idea.

If you want to spend the money, some reptile/pet shops sell ready made lids to fit fishtanks (if it's a regular size) that have vents and are all wired up.

I haven't included a heat light yet, there is a heat mat under the hollow log, when she gets bigger I will either include a heat light or move her to a larger tank.

hope this helps!! PM me if you have any other question :)

Alright thanks ninapeas, yea those pics will be great, i would rather build the lid thing, then buy it.
Now... if i get a childrens python hatchling, will it be ok to put it straight in the big tank? (with lots of hiding places)
Thanks ninapeas.

A lot of people put them into little containers with a toilet paper roll, but in my opinion, I think this is wrong. I think a more natural setting is much better for the snake, and looks a lot better as well.

Even if it is sometimes harder to clean :)

Yea ill just a have heaps of hideouts for the snake, i reckon it'll be fine. It would be good to get those pics off you still, if its not too much trouble. cheers

Thats fine, I will do it tonight for you, so you want me to PM them to you?

just post them here,if its not a problem. then others can see, if they wanna make the same thing. thanks heaps.

Ninapeas, i think that you should be careful with the advice you are giving to a virgin keeper. Your bredli would have been 40cm + when it arrived, half the length of the tank, a hatchy childreni will be about 15cms, one eighth of the lenght of the tank. There is a little bit of a difference.

Bonustoken, read some books. If you are going to put a hatchy into a 4 x 2 x 2 for your aesthetic leasure then dont buy python. Read some books, learn from them, then do what you thinkis right in regards to having the best interests of your animal at heart.

I know the whole thing about putting a small python in a big tank, but if you provide lots of hiding places it should be fine.

My tank is set up more for the python. There is stuff to climb and hide in, not just some newspaper that has no traction.

Even if i put the snake in a smaller container, and then put that in the tank, with only 1/3 of the small containers bottom on the heatpad, untill it grows up or climbs out of the small container. I would still like to know how to seel my lids on my fishtank though please, ninapeas.

ihaveherps said:
Ninapeas, i think that you should be careful with the advice you are giving to a virgin keeper. Your bredli would have been 40cm + when it arrived, half the length of the tank, a hatchy childreni will be about 15cms, one eighth of the lenght of the tank. There is a little bit of a difference.

Bonustoken, read some books. If you are going to put a hatchy into a 4 x 2 x 2 for your aesthetic leasure then dont buy python. Read some books, learn from them, then do what you thinkis right in regards to having the best interests of your animal at heart.

Why dont ya just tell me why i shouldnt, dude?

Well for what it's worth (and it's just my opion) I don't think there is really a problem in putting a small snake in a large enclosure.

I've done it for all mine, and I've never had a problem with them. As long as they have small hides where they can hide away, I think it shouldn't be a problem.

I have found, however, that fishtanks or similar can be a problem for a "skittish" snake in that they feel a bit exposed, particularly younger snakes. They are also very inefficient heat-wise. I prefer enclosures that only have glass at the front. But hey, that's just my opinion, and I wouldn't claim to be an authority on anything! ;-)

yea well the fish tank is still full of water and its 28 degrees C. (without heating) So once i empty it, ill put the thermo in there again and see what the temp is....

Because, there is a lot more valuable information to be learnt about husbandry, and by the questions you are raising you dont seem to know very much. This is not to be taken as a personal attack, but I honestly think that the information you learn from reading a few husbandry books will be invaluable. Ninapeas advice may be ok if you have a relaxed little hatchy, but alot of childrens can be highly-strung and by the time you notice you have a problem on your hands it may be too late for your snake, as food refusal (and overzealous attempts to offer food to get them feeding again) and respiratory infection can both be signs of stress, stress which can be reduced by keeping a python in cozy conditions.

IMO Go back to the start of the thread and read posts by Rennie (first and last time i will refer back to one of your posts Rennie. lol)

That looks wicked chameleon!

And ihaveherps, I really dont like books mate, i signed up with this forum so i could learn about snakes, and your telling me to go and read books... hahaha.
You're correct that i dont know much about snakes, i am keen to learn man, but in a social way, not by reading books. thanks for ya opinion.

And Ninapeas, im not pushing you or anything, but are ya still going to post them pics? no hurry, just wondering. Cheers.

OK dont worry guys, im not gunna use the fishtank. Ive got a 50cmx50cmx50cm wooden box which should do for a while. ill post some pics soon and let me know what ya think.. cheers guys, ya've all been a huge help, thankyou.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back