Diamond Pythons In Blue Mountains?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MrBredli

I was just reminiscing about some of my previous herp adventures i've been on, and i remembered having a chat to a bushwalker i met on a trail, somewhere around hazelbrook i believe it was, or perhaps Blaxland. Anyways, he told me that he had seen a Diamond Python on the track several months earlier. My understanding at the time was that Diamonds were only known to be found at Yellow Rock, as far as the Blue Mountains were concerned, and to this day it is still my belief (from what i know). Does anybody have any reports of Diamond Python popluations still existing in the Blue Mountains, apart from the Yellow Rock population? From the description this guy gave me i tend to believe that he may well have seen a Diamond.

They are also known to be found at Jenolan caves, which is on the western edge of the blue mountains. A very close friend of mine has seen one there and i take his word as being reliable.

Bump.. anyone heard of Diamond's being found in the Blue Mountains?

Mate you will find diamonds pretty much throughout the entire Blue Mountains. Some believe populations only occur as high as Hazelbrook but I have heard from good sources that they have been found as high as Mt Victoria.
In my opinion the nicest diamonds are found around the Winmalee/ Yellow Rock/ Hawkesbury Heights area.
Hope this is of some help.

I don't know the blue mountains that well as to the areas already talked about, but i have seen them at Springwood, if thats any help.

Thanks guys. Yeah i suspected they would be found throughout the Blue Mountains, especially from Glenbrook though to Springwood, but i've found no documentation of this. Gerry Swan's A Field Guide To The Snakes & Lizards Of NSW (the brown book) only has one 'dot' west of the Nepean River, and i believe that is in reference to the Yellow Rock population.

Ive seen them at Wollemi national park ( wheeny creek). Its also known as the upper colo. Theres plenty of reptiles up there if you look hard enough.

diamonds cause a mate of mine alot of trouble around his avairies in kurrajong, there always looking for a free feed.

They are out as far as the caves. Also Katoomba area. I have seen these. Possible they go out further maybe if one looked hard enough there could be diamond/murray darling intergrades??? or am I dreaming????

I've wondered about that myself Davem54, haven't heard of any pythons around Bathurst region,perhaps Diamonds come to the end of their range westward at Jenolan?(speaking in regards to blue mountains and central western region only) It does change in climate fairly dramatically from Jenolan to Oberon and then down to hot dry Bathurst.

There is wild pythons in the Bathurst region I have reliably been told. But what sort, I don't know??

Bathurst is a well known area for Diamonds and Inland Carpets crossing, this happens in a few places around that area.

Hopefully Peter Carter will be at the Bathurst show next weekend, i'll check with him as he'd know for sure, I will let you know what he says.

Lol missed your post Duga, thanks for the info.

Duga, dont suppose you have any photo's of Diamond/inland intergrades? I'd be very interested to see them.

I have seen pics of them, theres was a place about 2 yrs drive from Mudgee, maybe 50km away that also had inland/ diamond crosses.

Bathurst is the best known place where this happens. From what i know it's only in the river beds and surrounds.

Oh well thanx for the info anyway, it is something i've wondered about for years. When you say ''crosses'' you do mean natural intergrades right? :p

Opps of course i mean natural intergrades......gees you would think after all these years i would say the right thing ey Parko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back