Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nice work magpie. i feed my snake a quail every now and then. i find that he doesn't strike at it, he just sort of goes up to it and eats it.

That's interesting Magpie, would coccidiostat affect reptiles?

Okay for those of you that are put off feeding Quails to reptiles due to the feathers. I defrosted a quail today in luke warm water and whilst it was defrosting i plucked most of the feathers from it. Even ripped a little skin doing so. But never the less My olive python took the quails without hesitation. Maybe i might keep plucking the quails or only do it every now on then.

wats wrong with feathers?? snakes in the wild would eat em, it would just go straight thro like fibre in humans

I feed most of my snakes quails. My adult male diamond python still only likes to eat rats though. I get the quails cheaper than rats. Quails are so much better for snake than rats are.

If anybody wants quails from the Sydney region i can arrange for them for you.

Hi Daniel,

How often do you get them from Sydney. Are they alive or frozen when you get them ?

Cheers.
David.

I have bred alot of my own king quails and find that i loose a lot in the first few days. Anyone else have this problem.??

Sorry forgot to write that the quails are frozen. Feathers take longer to digest

Depending on the type of chicken you are talking about feeding to your snake is determined by the benefits of the meal. Unless you are feeding a meat chicken you will find that most chickens are rather hollow {skin and bone with little muscle} so it is nearly a waste of time for the snake to go to all the effort of eating it as it will be hungry soon a day or so later. Just like feeding mice instead of rats. A rat will fill the snake up for longer than the mouse will, the rat will allow the snake to grow faster and to not be hungry quite as much as a snake fed on mice will be. Same with quails. Instead of feeding4 adult rats to a snake, one or possibly two adult quails will be sufficient for them.
When your snakes shed their skin's you will be blown away as your snake will almost look as if it is glowing. this is due to the oils in the quails.

Last edited:
i get my quails from a farim in llandilo, (just north of penrith) 1.50 for any size from day old to boilers. great alternative! all my snakes take them and my lacey LOVES them! give them ago.
i do however crack the breat bone and take the legs and beak of ( to prevent injury and leave room for seconds)

Hey people,
I'm new on here - I don't have any snakes/reptiles but I have a ferret who eats prey (mice, chicks etc).

Please can you pm me your quail source near Sydney?

He loves quail but I really can't afford to buy them from the pet store!
Also I would be interested in any day old chicks/mice suppliers (cheap) that anyone would like to reccomend.

Not many ferret owners feed prey, so it's hard to track down reasonably priced supplies... especial since he eats so much!

live quails

hi does anyone know where to get quails from pet stores around sydney or the sutherland shire??:)

Im thinking about breeding them instead of rats.
What quails are the most productive? jap quails?
How big do they get?(mass)
Also what work is required to hatch them and look after the hatchlings?

Are quails easy to obtain in Brisbane?

cheers
Jim

Jap quail get to about 250g and lay an egg a day.
The eggs need to be incubated for 17 days, first 14 days they need to be turned regularly.
Then when they hatch they go into a brooder, the need to be fed and watered once or twice a day.
At about 2 weeks they can go into a normal cage, at 6 weeks they start laying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back