Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cockney red

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Have heard snippets about quails as Python food. Just wondered how many keepers were feeding them to there animals. I alternate Quails and rats to mine. They're mad for them.:)

I have fed mine quail as a treat but they are very expensive. Give then chicken as a cheaper alternative. They love them. My pet shop carries they in sizes from 1 day old to 6 weeks old.

i wish our shops kept them! I need to start buying chickens in I think. But I thought the chickens went straight through and made a hell of a mess?

Quails expensive!

I pay $1.20 -1.50 Max for all sizes, jap meat quails. I feed heaps of them (natural bird oils), make them glow and shed beautifully!

I feed most of my snakes quails. My adult male diamond python still only likes to eat rats though. I get the quails cheaper than rats. Quails are so much better for snake than rats are.

If anybody wants quails from the Sydney region i can arrange for them for you.

Come out of mine solid and mostly feathers. My pythons skins have never looked better. The shine like the Diamonds they are. cant recomend them enough.:)

while we are on the topic does anyone know where you can get quails from in vic?

I feed quails every now and then. Most of my snakes are crazy for them :)

Mine are from the same place as Haz's, so they're not very expensive. For the larger sizes they would be a fair bit cheaper than rats.

are chickens basically as good as quails? theres a pet shop next door to me that sells them for $1.5

no, quails are better than chickens, more protein, less fat, and from what I've been told the quail fats are better fats. And there's the whole chicken antibiotics thing, but I'm not sure that matters.

If someone in Sydney can pm me with a supplier it would be much appreciated thanks.
Wouldn't mind trying them. (Well not me personally.... :) )

ya if someone in S.A. knows where i could get some it would be great.

no, quails are better than chickens, more protein, less fat, and from what I've been told the quail fats are better fats. And there's the whole chicken antibiotics thing, but I'm not sure that matters.

You'll find quail are fed a coccidiostat same as chickens.
I'm breeding my own, have over 100 eggs incubating right now in fact.
It seem to be a bit easier than breeding rats, although there's a bit of work involved in the quail first few days.
However I do have a few snakes that are refusing them so far, maybe they'll come good when it warms up.
Quail are also awesome on the BBQ, halve them, marinade them and cook them on the hot plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back