Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cement

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
OK guys lets have some collective knowledge on Rough Scaled Pythons.
How big do they get?
Care sheets?
Price for hatchies
Pictures.
Habitat and native area.
Anyone who's kept them how do they handle, etc,etc you know the usual discussion.
cheers.

Rough-scaled python (Morelia carinata)
length - upto 2m
Habitat- monsoon forest in nthn Kimberley

other than that i couldn't tell you as there's no way i can afford any.......yet :p

True Blue should be able to tell you....I am interested to know what their nature is like!

Best thing would be to get in touch with John Weigel, he is the authority on them.

OK guys lets have some collective knowledge on Rough Scaled Pythons.
How big do they get?
Care sheets?
Price for hatchies
Pictures.
Habitat and native area.
Anyone who's kept them how do they handle, etc,etc you know the usual discussion.
cheers.

About 1.8m max, very slender particularly in the neck region, this is what makes their heads so appealing.

Care is similar to that of othe carpet python species. They do not require humidity levels like chondros. They are highly arboreal and you will find everything you need to know about them in 2 issues of Reptile Australia magazine and in the upcoming book Breeding Australian Pythons. Husbandry is fairly easy although the most diffiuclt bit is getting hatchlings feeding and then switching to rodents. This can take time. As John Weigel is the only one who has bred them thus far, he could elaborate.

Current price for hatchies 10k per pair at present.

The come from the Northern Kimberly region around the Mitchell Falls area, it is expected from recent pictures that it also occurs on neighbouring Bigge Island as well. The are highly arboreal and move easily through tree tops and because of their body shape they are adapted to jamming themselves in tight rock crevices.

They are a stunning python with a lot of curiosity and character. The appear to have a personality (if their is such a thing in snakes). Their stunning blue/grey eyes, heart shaped head and slender neck are completely unique. Most photographs you see don't do them justice. Their colours can shift dramatically within minutes from drab browns to light grey baground making a stunning contrast much like that of a wheatbelt stimmie. Whilst this happens readily in adults, hatchies don't show this significantly.

As for their teeth, hatchlings can be clumsy in the way they strike ad regularly get your hand. They put on a stunning threat display, opening their mouth totally (nearly inside out and parading around like a frilled neck lizard). Adults are very placid and it is hard to get this response from them. They are easily handled but tend to dart around a bit like a green tree snake (although not quite as fast). The scales begin to get (rough) at about 12 months.

Whilst many think the colours are boring, they have to be one of the most unique intersting pythons i've ever seen. They have significantly more to offer than just rareity and i think they will become a favourite amongst keepers who have actually seen what they are like in captivity.
They are fast becoming my favourite Australian python and i find myself watching them for hours.

Cheers

Attachments

• rsp hatchy on quail (600 x 400).jpg
    rsp hatchy on quail (600 x 400).jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 411
  • rspscreen (1050 x 700).jpg
    rspscreen (1050 x 700).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 433
  • year rsp2 (1050 x 700).jpg
    year rsp2 (1050 x 700).jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 361
  • year rsp (1050 x 700).jpg
    year rsp (1050 x 700).jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 360
is it true that theyre teeth are supposed to be huge aswell? compared to other morelia

thanks mate! great pics aswell do you have any pic' of your set-up? are you planning on breeding them this season?

thanks mate! great pics aswell do you have any pic' of your set-up? are you planning on breeding them this season?

I'll take a photo of the setup sometime! Basically I have them in a 5 high 2 wide 2 high enclosure. Dual thermostat (imit) for day and night temp control. Run two 60W ceramic heat emitters for night and basking spot for day. Have a hot end hide box on the floor and an elevated roof hidebox at the cold end. Branches across the middle of the cage. All in black MDF! Window custom made entire frame with fitted vent above.

Cage gradient 33 hot end, 26 cold end, they generally stay spread out on the branches mid way. They spend more time than you would think in the floor hide.

As for breeding they are a year younger than the ones TB has pictured in his thread, so they are a touch light on. Not sure if i'll attempt them, will probably just grow on!

Cheers

Cement,

This is the best I could do. I'ts hard to take a pic and provoke with a quail at the same time.

Attachments

• roughy threat 1 (456 x 600).jpg
    roughy threat 1 (456 x 600).jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 299
  • roughy threat 2 (600 x 280).jpg
    roughy threat 2 (600 x 280).jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 225
  • roughy threat 3 (600 x 400).jpg
    roughy threat 3 (600 x 400).jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 212
  • roughy threat 4 (600 x 352).jpg
    roughy threat 4 (600 x 352).jpg