America Vs Australia!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Variety

Reaction score
Hey guys, i can't help but feel that we are being beaten by the yanks at our own game.
I've recently been lurking on some American morelia forums and i've noticed theyve got alot more designer morphs readily available,

-They have Striped bredl (Didnt know this existed)
-Caramel zebras that seem to be in abundance
-Granite zebras
-Particular bloodline jags that look better then anything ive ever seen, (Refered to as Vermilya jags)

just to name a few and some very very interesting projects are underway such as
-Zebra / Tiger jag
-Granite jungles

I was blown away but couldnt understand why they are so far into the designer game and we are only scratching the surface ?
This could be because my understanding of whats going on in australian pythons is somewhat limited to these forums but regardless they are doing some amazing things with OUR snakes!

Yes but they are at the point where the ability to find pure blooded or pure locale animals is practically zilch.. I just hope Australia doesn't go down the same path.

But it actually may be a good thing for us few purists, once the fad of designer morphs is fading down and the novelty of breeding everything with anything is over - we will have people begging at our doors to buy our animals. :lol:

Last edited:
Hey guys, i can't help but feel that we are being beaten by the yanks at our own game.
I've recently been lurking on some American morelia forums and i've noticed theyve got alot more designer morphs readily available,

-Caramel zebras that seem to be in abundance
-Granite zebras
-Particular bloodline jags that look better then anything ive ever seen, (Refered to as Vermilya jags)

just to name a few and some very very interesting projects are underway such as
-Zebra / Tiger jag
-Granite jungles

I was blown away but couldnt understand why they are so far into the designer game and we are only scratching the surface ?
This could be because my understanding of whats going on in australian pythons is somewhat limited to these forums but regardless they are doing some amazing things with OUR snakes!

you will find that most of those have jag in the genetics
jags were european in origin but the yanks got onto them very quickly
some of their breeders have huge facilities turning out thousands of snakes per annum

by the same token those yanks would pay a fortune for our jag free morphs
Aus is catching up very quickly with some morphs
With the jags its a different story
If those new Aussie morphs are kept jag free the breeders could ask what ever they like
Whereas jags will always be
'just a jag'

Here in the UK, you can get any designer carpet you want. Some of them are stupidly expensive, but they are out there. The thing is, like what has already been mentioned, it's almost impossible to get pure blooded/pure locale snakes. There are a few out there, but everything is so mixed up.

I hope for your sake (Australia) you don't get wrapped up in this fad of designer snakes. The carpet python complex is such a diverse group of snakes, we should be happy with what nature gave us.

I'm afraid designer snakes seems to be the natural progression within the hobby, so the ones of you that want a zebra granite jag neurological screwball, I'm sure you'll not have long to wait. At least you have access to wild animals, so you can refresh the bloodlines now and again.

Americans somehow have Granite Spotted Pythons, which about kills me because I do NOT understand why we don't have them here - and why we can't import them. We have the species Antaresia here already anyway - it's not like we're importing something new and different that could impact our eco system negatively - it's already here; just in a different colour. (Feel free to correct me if I have this wrong, by all means).

america have nothing on us man. All their stuff is dirty mixes and line bred animals.

Why do we have to compare? let Australia be Australia and America be America! I don't see why ppl think we need to be in competition??? Also the JAGS didn't 1st occur in the USA.

Jags aside, just how long have you been paying attention? A month or two?

Last edited:
Americans somehow have Granite Spotted Pythons, which about kills me because I do NOT understand why we don't have them here - and why we can't import them. We have the species Antaresia here already anyway - it's not like we're importing something new and different that could impact our eco system negatively - it's already here; just in a different colour. (Feel free to correct me if I have this wrong, by all means).

Well one of the risks of importing is bringing in all kinds of new diseases or viruses that may not have arrived here yet.

Jags aside, just how long have you been paying attention? A month or two?

Not sure if this is a genuine question or an attempted insult so ill answer both.
Been frequenting forrums for roughly 4 months and have purches two books (none of which cover designer snaes) so you wern't that far off, assuming this was an insult i don't understand your intentions as im trying to further my understanding by making this topic.

cheers

Americans are on a downward spiral, creating a mess of every species they get there hands on. I think Australias ability to love our native animals and appreciating what nature provides for us is a thing to be proud of. Morphs are a competition I don't want to be a part of.

Americans are on a downward spiral, creating a mess of every species they get there hands on. I think Australias ability to love our native animals and appreciating what nature provides for us is a thing to be proud of. Morphs are a competition I don't want to be a part of.

Yes bring back the old days before morphs anyday !!!!

i love what we have, american always needs to 'improve' what they get their hands on they are never happy with what they got. why try to fix something that does not need fixing.

we have some of the most beautiful snakes in the world and i am proud to own pure breed reptiles. if cross breeding happens in the wild naturally then i'd say its ok to breed them. but to go out of your way to cross breed just for looks i'm not comfortable with. but its all about money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back