America Vs Australia!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but they are at the point where the ability to find pure blooded or pure locale animals is practically zilch.. I just hope Australia doesn't go down the same path.Too late Vixen! The path is turning into a freeway.

But it actually may be a good thing for us few purists, once the fad of designer morphs is fading down and the novelty of breeding everything with anything is over - we will have people begging at our doors to buy our animals. :lol:

Yes we will, even though it will be so they can just cross it out.

Im not sure why you guys seem to group Americans as a whole, I'm sure it's just like here. Some would like morphs others want pure, we are much the same it's just that they have a higher population and got onto the reptile hobby in a big way before we did, because of this they have produced more offspring and have more morphs.

i love what we have, american always needs to 'improve' what they get their hands on they are never happy with what they got. why try to fix something that does not need fixing.

we have some of the most beautiful snakes in the world and i am proud to own pure breed reptiles.

Was thinking the same thing, couldnt of said it better myself, we do have the moxt sexiest herps ;)
Yeah okay Red Tailed Boa's, Burmese Pythons, Cobra's etc would be awesome to own but our reptiles are just amazing.

Not sure if this is a genuine question or an attempted insult so ill answer both.
Been frequenting forrums for roughly 4 months and have purches two books (none of which cover designer snaes) so you wern't that far off, assuming this was an insult i don't understand your intentions as im trying to further my understanding by making this topic.

cheers

Yes it was a genuine question. Do you really think both markets are comparable?

Kingsnake.com Classifieds > Carpet and Diamond Python ClassifiedsI think it's funny you Australians think you know the American market so well. I also think it funny you all are quick to critasise us Americans for wanting to work on creating new morphs. Correct me if I'm wrong but, I know for a fact there are a ton of Aussies how like what we are working on. Was this thread started by an aussie who was "blown away" by the "dirty mixes" us Americans are working on. As far as you Aussies thinking we have almost no chance of finding a pure blooded animal, you couldn't be any further from the truth. Just like in Australia there are purists and there are people who work on the cutting edge morphs and crosses. Us Americans like the best of both worlds. Arboreal Boas/Pythons - FaunaClassifieds here's another link to pure bloods, crosses and morphs. Really easy to find. Should I post links to breeders sites who produce pure bloods as well? Like I said I think it's funny you Aussies think you know the American market. You guys know it real well don't you?

Yes but they are at the point where the ability to find pure blooded or pure locale animals is practically zilch.. I just hope Australia doesn't go down the same path.

But it actually may be a good thing for us few purists, once the fad of designer morphs is fading down and the novelty of breeding everything with anything is over - we will have people begging at our doors to buy our animals. :lol:
The morph fad will never go away lol.

- - - Updated - - -

i love what we have, american always needs to 'improve' what they get their hands on they are never happy with what they got. why try to fix something that does not need fixing.

we have some of the most beautiful snakes in the world and i am proud to own pure breed reptiles. if cross breeding happens in the wild naturally then i'd say its ok to breed them. but to go out of your way to cross breed just for looks i'm not comfortable with. but its all about money.
I don't know what your goal is when you breed, but my two main goals when breeding are to produce healthy reptiles, and to try to improve them. If you don't try to improve them(I'm talking about patterns) then what is the point in breeding?

- - - Updated - - -

Americans somehow have Granite Spotted Pythons, which about kills me because I do NOT understand why we don't have them here - and why we can't import them. We have the species Antaresia here already anyway - it's not like we're importing something new and different that could impact our eco system negatively - it's already here; just in a different colour. (Feel free to correct me if I have this wrong, by all means).

If a snake, and or a group of snakes gets imported into Australia it can bring diseases in with them. Wich in turn can devastate your native reptiles.

Last edited:
I don't know what your goal is when you breed, but my two main goals when breeding are to produce healthy reptiles, and to try to improve them. If you don't try to improve them(I'm talking about patterns) then what is the point in breeding?

Thank you for admitting what we were all saying. You think it's improving, but i respectfully disagree. Snakes are incredible creatures who don't need improving, they are fine the way they are, but you can't seem to understand or appreciate that. So to answer your question. We breed because we love them and we enjoy having them in our lives.

Just a quick question what are jag breeders doing with the neuro hatchlings out of there clutches? , I mean you can't sell them right?
Always wondered what they do with them?

Thank you for admitting what we were all saying. You think it's improving, but i respectfully disagree. Snakes are incredible creatures who don't need improving, they are fine the way they are, but you can't seem to understand or appreciate that. So to answer your question. We breed because we love them and we enjoy having them in our lives.
You type your statements as if Australians don't produce morphs or crosses. Open your eyes, breeders are breeding them in your own backyard so to speak. What's wrong with having morphs as well as pure wild type animals?

- - - Updated - - -

Just a quick question what are jag breeders doing with the neuro hatchlings out of there clutches? , I mean you can't sell them right?
Always wondered what they do with them?
As far as I know they cull them or keep them in there collection, for the most part. Just like anywhere else there are unhonest people who will sell them without letting the buyer know. Every once in a great while ill see one that is advertised to have slight Nero issues.

I thought all jags had the potential for neuro problems. They aren't always apparent when they are young sometimes they are. Also the degree differs some can have a slight problem and some can be severe. Some start showing signs after a stressful event, ie being freighted, used as a demo. What sort of guarantee to breeders offer? No probelms for 3months? 6 months?

Last edited:
I thought all jags had the potential for neuro problems. They aren't always apparent when they are young sometimes they are. Also the degree differs some can have a slight problem and some can be severe. Some start showing signs after a stressful event, ie being freighted, used as a demo. What sort of guarantee to breeders offer? No probelms for 3months? 6 months?
from everything ive read about jags your right , if its got the jag gene ( so looks cool ) then its going to have neuro problems like you've mentioned though there are different degrees of severity

Caliherp is largely correct in the statements he/she has made. The activities of Australian breeders are pretty much a mirror of what is going on elsewhere in the world, the variation being that we are often a bit behind (?) with the latest trends because many of the morphs are first bred overseas and have to be made available to those who bring them in to Oz illegally, and this can take years sometimes.

Australians have a historically conservative view of the management of fauna in captivity, because in recent decades it has been very tightly managed by state authorities, and it is only in the last 12-15 years that reptiles have been generally legalised as pets in most states. This has never been the case in Europe and the US - they have had pretty much open slather for decades to do whatever they wish with their animals (and ours too!). There is also the fact that Carpets (in particular because they, as a group, have enormous potential for experimental fiddling), are part of the Australian landscape, and the view of many Aussies is somewhat more protective of these species than the views of overseas breeders who see them as a great experimental tool.

Historically, Australia has been very slow on the uptake when it comes to breeding reptiles, and in my view this is because we have always had access to animals from the landscape around us, whereas in the US & Europe, apart from smuggled animals, they largely had to learn to breed them or they would forever be in very low (relative) numbers.

I'm beyond the debate about the good & the bad of all this - I prefer fine examples of pure species (but even that is a very subjective assessment), but others don't, so good luck to them. The desire for a unique designer snake won't die out, and each new morph produced galvanizes the activities of the morph breeders out there, and fgives them yet another new tool to work with.

However, I do see it as being a bit like mixing all the colours of the spectrum together - you might get some very attractive blends on the way to your destination, but eventually you always end up with poo brown... the difficulty is knowing when to stop...

Jamie

I think we should all just be honest, how many of us own a morph even the common ones like albino, who wouldn't like something a little different? Might be that it's a pure form but different morph.

I don't think that 99% of us would have a leg to stand on pointing out finger at others for having a morph, I don't as I have an albino and would love some of the morphs out there. I do also like and keep 'wild types'.

these sort of threads have been done to death over and over and over and over again..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back