Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At least they're relocating rather than shooting. I can't say he looks too comfortable the way they tied him up though...

Crocodiles will only stalk if they see a food source, and they will only see a food source in the water or on the river bank. I'm glad they haven't killed the croc, but don't see why wild animals should be relocated when humans can be taught how to keep safe around them.

It should be shot. There is little point in relocating them, they end up back where they started with the only difference being they are more wise to the traps and more dangerous.

Crocs and people don't mix. 'Cheeky' crocs either need to be sent to farms (where they end up shot or in a cage where they may aswell be dead anyway) or killed.

Can we relocate people and send them to farms if they fail to understand that crocodiles live in the river systems of northern Australia?

Can we relocate people and send them to farms if they fail to understand that crocodiles live in the river systems of northern Australia?

Let me guess, you live in melbourne? Or Brisbane, Adelaide... etc???

What would you do if you saw a taipan in your backyard. Tell me honestly what you would do.

I live in the northern parts of Qld, have seen many crocodiles, been up close to them in the Daintree River, and have also had a close encounter with an Eastern Brown, as well as other snakes in our yard. :)

I live in the northern parts of Qld, have seen many crocodiles, been up close to them in the Daintree River, and have also had a close encounter with an Eastern Brown, as well as other snakes in our yard. :)

So tell me. What did you do?

I think you're being rude, but will answer the question anyway. What did I do with the Eastern Brown? Nothing, I left it. That one was not in our yard. It was at the river. The person it bit was strapped the way I was taught during a first aid course and taken to hospital. Eastern Browns do not have a good biting technique, so the venom was injected into the skin, but didn't make it into the blood stream. We were 30 minutes from town, no phone range. As for the snake my daughter found near us, it went to the vet because we had no wildlife carers who could take it in, which is why I'm looking at doing that instead of being an owner. I think there might be far more use for another wildlife carer for reptiles than for another snake owner in this area.

I think you're being rude, but will answer the question anyway. What did I do with the Eastern Brown? Nothing, I left it. That one was not in our yard. It was at the river. The person it bit was strapped the way I was taught during a first aid course and taken to hospital. Eastern Browns do not have a good biting technique, so the venom was injected into the skin, but didn't make it into the blood stream. We were 30 minutes from town, no phone range. As for the snake my daughter found near us, it went to the vet because we had no wildlife carers who could take it in, which is why I'm looking at doing that instead of being an owner. I think there might be far more use for another wildlife carer for reptiles than for another snake owner in this area.

Rude? How have i come off as rude?

As for your story. It is a good story but not really what i was getting at.

The point i'm trying to make in comparing you finding a snake in your backyard to crocodiles is this. If you find a dangerous snake in your home most normal people would have it removed because it is posing a threat to you. The snake was there first but the threat that snake poses to you and your families' safety outweighs it's right to live where it chooses. So that snake is relocated and you never see it again.

Ok so now lets change that snake for a crocodile. A large dangerous animal that will hunt you and your family. First idea you have is relocate it, you do that but it comes back. You try to relocate again but it returns again only it's harder to catch this time. It is an animal that poses a genuine threat to your life.

I think human life is far more important than any animal. The threat needs to be removed and it can only be removed by being killed.

Ven wild snakes you have to take each case on it's own merits.and as for crocs stalking kids,human are ignorant and selfish,know it all race.and many people will swim where sharks have been spotted off our coasts,surfboarders etc.warning signs and the like won't stop people from doing their own free will,hence the croc does what comes to his freewill.i think it may be time for a culling of the crocs,what with the recent floods etc.

I think it's rather arrogant to assume human life is more important than animal life. If humans died out, the world would continue running, probably far healthier than it is right now. If worms, for instance, ceased to exist, it would affect the running of the planet.

As for being rude, posing a question in that manner came across as rude.

Different people think in different ways, and I believe it's far better to stay away from the river systems in the NT than to relocate crocodiles that have ever right to be there, and who were there first.

Going back to the snakes, I guess the fact that we live near a hill, and the fact that there is nothing here for them to feed on, means they won't stick around for long and will end up back at the hill. We live in NQ, it's snake season, far better to educate people on how to keep clear than to cull or relocate IMO.

Yes I did know the family who lost their 5 year old in the Daintree River in January '09 and as much as I'm saddened by the loss of a young life, I'm also pleased that the croc was sedated, had the child surgically removed, and was taken to a breeding farm where he will live out his life fertilising the eggs of the lady crocodile rather than being culled.

I'm against harm to animals, it's what I believe and who I am, and I'm sorry that people find it a difficult concept. I don't think anything I say will be agreed upon by others, which is ok, but I think that's all I can say on the topic.

Much as I agree that large salties have their place and are essential apex predators in the north, and that it's a good idea to educate children and locals (mostly fishermen) to ensure that they don't encourage these big salties to hang about areas frequented by people and more importantly where children are likely to be found.

I can also see good reasons to kill crocs who pose a menace to people if they can not be removed to either a croc farm or a more remote area (I've heard big crocs are territorial and will return to their territory unless this is made impossible and my father was a professional croc hunter in FNQLD (Normanton and Weipa area) in the 1930s and some of the stories he told about their behavior were terrifying).

There is also the problem of tourists (Australians from the southern states who are not experienced with being near crocs, and internationals who will have no idea what so ever of the danger posed by these animals).
Like sharks, they need to kept away from people by the most appropriate means, capture, relocation or killing.

Last edited:
I think it's rather arrogant to assume human life is more important than animal life. If humans died out, the world would continue running, probably far healthier than it is right now. If worms, for instance, ceased to exist, it would affect the running of the planet. I think there needs to be a balance but i draw the line when people are put in danger.

As for being rude, posing a question in that manner came across as rude. I would say harden up, but that may come across as rude :lol: C'mon, how can you read emotion into a question written as simply as that?! Being rude wasn't my intention, i'm sorry if it came off that way.

Different people think in different ways, and I believe it's far better to stay away from the river systems in the NT than to relocate crocodiles that have ever right to be there, and who were there first. Perhaps for you that is an option. For alot of people, especially those living in remote NT indigenous communitities, it is not. Alot of people out here still hunt and fish for their food. Every water way here has large numbers of crocodiles, the majority of them are not a problem but when one becomes 'cheeky' (like the one in that news article) it is removed.

Going back to the snakes, I guess the fact that we live near a hill, and the fact that there is nothing here for them to feed on, means they won't stick around for long and will end up back at the hill. We live in NQ, it's snake season, far better to educate people on how to keep clear than to cull or relocate IMO.

Yes I did know the family who lost their 5 year old in the Daintree River in January '09 and as much as I'm saddened by the loss of a young life, I'm also pleased that the croc was sedated, had the child surgically removed, and was taken to a breeding farm where he will live out his life fertilising the eggs of the lady crocodile rather than being culled. If that is the case then i think that is absolutely ludicrous! I would question the motives of the people who removed the body, did they want to save the animal or did they want to keep a man killer to boost tourist numbers to their croc farm?

But either way, that animal has now been removed from the ecosystem. That has the same effect on the environment as killing the animal. And what do you think happens to all its offspring? A croc can't be surgically turned into a hand bag while it's still alive!

I'm against harm to animals, it's what I believe and who I am, and I'm sorry that people find it a difficult concept. I don't think anything I say will be agreed upon by others, which is ok, but I think that's all I can say on the topic. As do i and i consider myself a conservationist but a human life is far more important than any crocodile. Would you really leave an animal that is posing a genuine threat to your daughters life?

I don't want you to leave this conversation, i don't agree with your opinions but i do enjoy having these conversations.

Maybe this needs a bit of perspective.... since the white man settled the north their has been on average one recorded death every 4 years. I wonder how many people have been killed by horses in the same period, maybe we should cull them. Or worse how many kids die in backyard swimming pools, we get the numbers below 10 a year and we get Laurie Lawrence singing a stupid song doing the 'five'. Let's ban backyard pools. I could go on but i'm sure you get my point.

Maybe this needs a bit of perspective.... since the white man settled the north their has been on average one recorded death every 4 years. I wonder how many people have been killed by horses in the same period, maybe we should cull them. Or worse how many kids die in backyard swimming pools, we get the numbers below 10 a year and we get Laurie Lawrence singing a stupid song doing the 'five'. Let's ban backyard pools. I could go on but i'm sure you get my point.

Actually in the last 3 years in the Top End a 20 yr old man, an 11 year old girl and an 11 year old boy have all been killed by crocs, the latest in about Feb this year, so the rate of deaths is increasing. Which makes sense due to the increase in the amount of crocs there are nowadays. We also have some very stupid ads telling people to stay out of the water and be croc wise.

Actually in the last 3 years in the Top End a 20 yr old man, an 11 year old girl and an 11 year old boy have all been killed by crocs, the latest in about Feb this year, so the rate of deaths is increasing. Which makes sense due to the increase in the amount of crocs there are nowadays. We also have some very stupid ads telling people to stay out of the water and be croc wise.

What is stupid about educating people in croc awareness....we could of course go back to pre 70's and kill the buggers....

What is stupid about educating people in croc awareness....we could of course go back to pre 70's and kill the buggers....

They're just silly ads lol.

If territorians are dead set on the life style we have chosen then, particularly in the darwin area, we will need to do somethign very similar.

I think crocs are wonderful creatures in their own environment
But unless you have been in outback NT no-one else can imagine what the future problems are going to be

The crocs are big and getting bigger
They are showing themselves regularly and many convey zero fear of humans
Every year there are more and more reported attacks
The numbers of small crocs is huge and increasing every season

I have fished there for many years
This year is the first time I really felt nervous
Admittedly I was in the outback
But that river is vastly over stocked
So some of them will move to newer pastures and probably into more settled areas

A crocodile is very different to any snake
It is a mincing machine with legs and not something you can play around with
They can and do travel vast distances with excellent homing instinct
Swimming holes that people have used for years are now full of warning signs

Hopefully a few tourists will get munched on soon
Then maybe new guidelines will be put in place

Regardless of their protected rating if 50 big white pointers moved into Sydney harbour and stayed there something would be done about them very quickly
More than 100 crocs get moved from just Darwin harbour every year and this number is steadily increasing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back