Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where have you lived exactly?

Like I said, I actually DO live in these parts ;)

I have visited other places like SEQld, Victoria, NSW, but live in the northern parts of Qld.

Yes, dairy free vegetarian and we only use eggs if our friends free-range rescue chickens are laying. Why's that?

Way to take out anonymity a little huh. I mentioned knowing the little boy who was taken in early '09 and his family in the Daintree area but I don't want to say exactly where I'm living. We have been around crocodiles and snakes forever, and the house we've lived in for the last 6 years is near bushland which I absolutely love. I've lived in the northern parts of Qld for 31 years.

What we are trying to say to you is that not everywhere or everyones life style can be compared. The crocodile situation in the daintree and other heavily populated areas is wildly different than it is in places like where i am living.

And all I'm saying is that I don't agree with "Let's cull them" being the default reaction of humans when animals get in the way when they are only doing what they have been doing since before humans were in existence. Gee whiz, lol. I don't agree with it, I can't agree with it, it's simply who I am as a person to not want animals to be harmed. No amount of questioning from people will change my mind on that. I've come to the conclusions over time through education, not because I don't know any different. I see you are trying to get me to say they should be killed, that's not going to happen, so that's why I'm over this back and forth, round in circles discussion.

You're right it is going around in circles. I'm not convinced that you do have an understanding of the situation in remote communities and as such i don't think you can pass judgement on what is happening in them.

You're making assumptions about me and my life, trying to discredit where I live and what I know in order to somehow prove me wrong. There is no right or wrong, there is only opinions and yours does not count more than mine, and I do not need to prove my knowlege to understand that we simply have different standings on this.

I'm asking you to explain but you are refusing to. We can't all be right, there is a right and a wrong in this scenario.

Yes, dairy free vegetarian and we only use eggs if our friends free-range rescue chickens are laying. Why's that?

Because if you weren't some things you have said would be hypocritical . .

But back to killing crocs it comes down to kill or be killed . . If it was you or your family at risk would you let a croc be a risk to your families life?

If it's down to a "kill or be killed" scenario then I guess it's more about survival than actual killing. Like, it's wrong to murder but if someone goes at you and you defend yourself, and that person dies by, say, being stabbed by the knife they tried to stab you with, it's not really murder.

And no, I don't think there is a right or wrong. I see you don't like being wrong, and I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I have a different version of right to what you have. I'm not asking you to defend why you are saying what you're saying, I'm simply accepting that you have your own opinion and you've shared it, same as I have, so I don't really get what more you want? I'm not changing my views on this and not explaining myself further because I find it quite a bore that you can't seem to grasp that people can think different to yourself and NOT be a Victorian.

If the white man never invaded Australia, I'm sure all the people that live up there would be contending with crocs, probably in greater numbers than they do now, correct? So why bother kulling the crocodiles?

If these people that are getting taken are stupid enough to get taken, then so be it. They should learn to live with them.

Would you say the same thing if one of these stupid people was a member of your family?

Agreed, how disrespectful calling someone who had such a horrible death stupid!

Some of these people were children would you tell their parents "so be it"

Would you say the same thing if one of these stupid people was a member of your family?

I'd be devastated if a member of my family died from a croc attack, but I would also recognise it was their own stupidity that got them killed.

I'd be devastated if a member of my family OD'd on smack, but I wouldn't ignore the fact that they made the decision to stick the needle in their vein.

Agreed, how disrespectful calling someone who had such a horrible death stupid!

Some of these people were children would you tell their parents "so be it"

Omg... Stop being so sensitive.

I never said it wasn't horrible and upsetting, I said it was a stupid death. Could have been avoided if common sense was utilised.

Southern mob have nothing in their experience bag to do with things that eat you while you are going about your daily business.

There are things that can kill you but therein lies the difference. 100,000 years ago in Oz there were several species of snakes that could easily eat humans but they are all gone. No snake today in Oz can eat a person (although I know of some that have tried). Crocodiles will take any opportunity to grab a kid and the big fellas will go an adult. They eat you.

Indigenous mob (your point Gordo) hunt and fish for sustenance. There are no supermarkets in the Communities and most of the diet is obtained from the bush. If there were monsters that can take a buffalo with ease stalking your kids in your backyard how would you feel?

Since they were given protection numbers have reached pre hunting levels. The 5 meter + guys remember shooting and are cagey around people. Now we have 3 meter+ crocs with no fear of humans whatsoever.

I love crocs, nothing makes the heart race like seeing a big fella up close. But make no mistake if my family or self were threatened I wouldn't hesitate to shoot the bugger. And that is how community people feel about the issue.

Wasn't so long ago (in living memory) that there were saltys 9 - 10m long up north.
The ones we have now are getting more numerous, bigger, and more dangerous and it's a miracle that more people aren't taken by them, especially in the more remote areas, keep in mind a salty wont just hunt in the water, but will also hunt on land and you can not outrun a salty who has decided you're going to be it's next meal and who is hot persuit. Climbing a tree is not much help either as they will simply wait for you to either fall out of it or come down (when you are dying of thirst).

An apex predator who sees people as a source of food and has no fear of people is a dangerous problem. I'm not convinced relocating large salty's who are stalking people is either desireable (these animals are highly territorial and relocating such an animal will bring it into conflict with the local alpha males and alpha females in it's new location - they are likely to maime it or kill it or it them) or practical in most instances. Better to either capture it and send it to a zoo or croc farm as breeding stock or shoot it.

For the record, I live in NSW, but have lived and worked in the Pilbura (on the coast) and have travelled up north on touring / fishing safaris.

I believe decisions need to made by people who live in salty infested areas rather than by beaurocrats and greenies and academics who live south of the Tropic of Capricorn who don't have to live with the consequences of their decisions and the laws they make.

Let me guess, you live in melbourne? Or Brisbane, Adelaide... etc???

What would you do if you saw a taipan in your backyard. Tell me honestly what you would do.

Wouldn't kill it..It is a fast moving alert elapid..meaning it would almost be impossible to accidentally step on it. If I was ignorant and knew nothing about snakes than maybe I would kill it. A death adder would be more dangerous as it wouldn't move out of your way. So you could accidentally step on it. Still wouldn't kill it through and even if I took a bite it wouldn't be the end of the world. I would just go and get the anti-venom and be fine.

Their are only a few snakes that I would even think about killing( if they were on my property) and they would all be certain types of vipers( sluggish ambush predators that won't move out of your way and can cause long term damage even with antivenom)

Was out fishing at Saltwater Arm yesterday and was plucking in the crab pots when a 4 mtr + popped up beside us.........It was dark and I had the heeby geebys after that.......As I was standing in my 4.1 mtr tinny I could not help but thinking that I would never stand right on the waters edge after dark........but somehow standing in my boat....right in the middle of the water was much safer?????.......I am starting to lose my nerve a bit these days especially when old Poppy missjudged the tide and we had to poke right up these little mangrove choked gutters to get our pots back.

I had a similar experience at Derby in 2000, I was using a castenet to catch bait from a little beach to use as bait from the jetty and a big (no idea how big) salty showed (all I saw it's head), suppose it was curious and checking me out.

The locals told me it's not the saltys you see you need to worry about..... it's the ones who stalking you and waiting for the chance to grab you and who you wont see (until it's too late) you need to worry about.
They told me never go the same spot near the water twice, and never enter the water if you can't see the bottom.
Needless to say I was spooked by that croc and gave bait collecting a miss.

I am always on edge when I travel up north and go for flick along river banks and beaches there especially if the water is muddy, really don't like being close to water in areas where I know there are saltys about. Does that make a coward ? don't know, I'd rather be a live coward than croc food.

I've no such quarms with big sharks, or snakes. I've had many encounters with both.

Last edited:
Kawasaki
A lot of the time it is not stupidity
fair enough if a Tourist gets munched after swimming in a hole with warning signs
But too many other incidents are happening and seem to be increasing

I lived in Cairns and surrounds for years and know the whole cape pretty well
The Daintree has a few crocs
If you are lucky you can see one

In the East Aligator they are simply everywhere and are showing no fear at all
Even big ones just lie on the banks and watch you floating past
The mouth of the river on a run out tide is frightening to watch
That is vastly different to the Daintree where you can dive in to retrieve a favourite lure some of the time
[that may be really dumb but it was my last gold bomber]

I think it's rather arrogant to assume human life is more important than animal life. If humans died out, the world would continue running, probably far healthier than it is right now. If worms, for instance, ceased to exist, it would affect the running of the planet.

I obviously would defend my life and the life of a loved one against any animal to the best of my abilities. But if you actullay look at are place in nature...it becomes pretty obvious that we are on the same exact playing field as every other species that inhabits this earth. The whole religious bullcrap about God making humans superior and that animals were put on the earth for our pleasure is nonsense. If we are so superior according to "Gods" creation than why has 1/4 of all human deaths caused by an insect bite? For such an "inferior" animal insects sure are able to do alot of damage to humans

And plus Crocs are relatively easy to avoid compared to other large dangerous animals like Lions, Tigers and Elephants.

If the white man never invaded Australia, I'm sure all the people that live up there would be contending with crocs, probably in greater numbers than they do now, correct? So why bother kulling the crocodiles?

If these people that are getting taken are stupid enough to get taken, then so be it. They should learn to live with them.

The aboriginals who lived in northern Australia in areas occupied by saltys prior to colonisation had no choice about it. Their stone age weapons were no match for a big salty.

I think you are also missing the point that big saltys will stalk their target and you need not be acting stupidly to be taken by of these animals. They will seek you out if they have decided you are prey.

Wouldn't kill it..It is a fast moving alert elapid..meaning it would almost be impossible to accidentally step on it. If I was ignorant and knew nothing about snakes than maybe I would kill it. A death adder would be more dangerous as it wouldn't move out of your way. So you could accidentally step on it. Still wouldn't kill it through and even if I took a bite it wouldn't be the end of the world. I would just go and get the anti-venom and be fine.

Their are only a few snakes that I would even think about killing( if they were on my property) and they would all be certain types of vipers( sluggish ambush predators that won't move out of your way and can cause long term damage even with antivenom)
Mr Fan

I wasn't eluding that a snake that was encountered should be killed, i was trying to make the point that the animal needs to be removed for everyone's safety. Snakes just happen to be good candidates for relocation, they can be released unharmed. Crocodiles are not good candidates for relocation. I think the problem animals should be removed, if that means shooting them then i am fine with that, if a croc farm wants it then i am all for them removing the animal and keeping it too. Either way the problem has been removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back