Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure the number is closer to 200 Longqi.

We had 5 shot this year out the front of our school.

Actually in the last 3 years in the Top End a 20 yr old man, an 11 year old girl and an 11 year old boy have all been killed by crocs, the latest in about Feb this year, so the rate of deaths is increasing. Which makes sense due to the increase in the amount of crocs there are nowadays. We also have some very stupid ads telling people to stay out of the water and be croc wise.

Still only one a year, FAR less than bees, snakes, horses, sharks, HUMANS etc

They're just silly ads lol.

If territorians are dead set on the life style we have chosen then, particularly in the darwin area, we will need to do somethign very similar.

Been half a dozen shark attacks on NSW coast in the Summer, but us Cockroaches know the score...:)

Ok, we are plant eaters, not meat eaters so fishing is not something we would do as a family for food or any other reason. So I can't relate to fishing or hunting for food, only for protecting animals large and small and preserving natural environments. I don't see humans as superior in the whole grand scheme of the planet. I don't like the attitude people have of "the only good snake is a dead one" or similar for any other animal they would rather wasn't near them.

Still only one a year, FAR less than bees, snakes, horses, sharks, HUMANS etc

If you remove people and domesticated animals from your list, the danger of all of those animals is taken into account and action is taken when they turn up in areas where they will interact with people.

What is stupid about educating people in croc awareness....we could of course go back to pre 70's and kill the buggers....

I never said educating people was stupid. I said the ads were stupid.
They are spending a large amount of money on ads that are not very educational, don't deliver the message succintly
and therefore IMO they are stupid. The government has decreed that there will be a 50km exclusion zone for crocs around the Darwin area (which is also stupid) so some people will take them at their word and assume thay are safe when they obviously wont be.
Kneejerk reaction to the death of a young girl.

Ok, we are plant eaters, not meat eaters so fishing is not something we would do as a family for food or any other reason. So I can't relate to fishing or hunting for food, only for protecting animals large and small and preserving natural environments. I don't see humans as superior in the whole grand scheme of the planet. I don't like the attitude people have of "the only good snake is a dead one" or similar for any other animal they would rather wasn't near them.

If that is your honest outlook, then i think that is a very twisted idea of life and could only be held by someone who has a very pivelidged and narrow life experience.

My life experience is neither narrow nor priveleged, and it isn't a twisted idea, it's the way I view life. The animals are not here for us to do what we like with them, we need to learn to live safely around them. Anyway, I'm not going to change my mind on this, nor am I looking at changing the mind of anyone else. I've said how I felt, thank you for the discussion but it's going to keep going around and around in circles now. I have to say, though, that I'm an educator and am well travelled, and like to show my daughter different places so she can see for herself rather than just watching it on TV, looking it up on the internet, or reading about it in books. All these can make good references, but nothing beats real experience. Have a good night.

Southern mob have nothing in their experience bag to do with things that eat you while you are going about your daily business.

There are things that can kill you but therein lies the difference. 100,000 years ago in Oz there were several species of snakes that could easily eat humans but they are all gone. No snake today in Oz can eat a person (although I know of some that have tried). Crocodiles will take any opportunity to grab a kid and the big fellas will go an adult. They eat you.

Indigenous mob (your point Gordo) hunt and fish for sustenance. There are no supermarkets in the Communities and most of the diet is obtained from the bush. If there were monsters that can take a buffalo with ease stalking your kids in your backyard how would you feel?

Since they were given protection numbers have reached pre hunting levels. The 5 meter + guys remember shooting and are cagey around people. Now we have 3 meter+ crocs with no fear of humans whatsoever.

I love crocs, nothing makes the heart race like seeing a big fella up close. But make no mistake if my family or self were threatened I wouldn't hesitate to shoot the bugger. And that is how community people feel about the issue.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people don't understand that that these communites have been living and fishing in the
areas for many years with no problems with crocodiles. However as the poplution of crocs grows so does their territory
which increases the likihood of bigger problems in the future and no one is addressing this issue.
Sure humans are generally pretty stupid when it comes to croc safety but alot of the deaths
are locals, many who have believed the area safe because of previous activities in the same area.

Was out fishing at Saltwater Arm yesterday and was plucking in the crab pots when a 4 mtr + popped up beside us.........It was dark and I had the heeby geebys after that.......As I was standing in my 4.1 mtr tinny I could not help but thinking that I would never stand right on the waters edge after dark........but somehow standing in my boat....right in the middle of the water was much safer?????.......I am starting to lose my nerve a bit these days especially when old Poppy missjudged the tide and we had to poke right up these little mangrove choked gutters to get our pots back.

It should be shot. There is little point in relocating them, they end up back where they started with the only difference being they are more wise to the traps and more dangerous.

Crocs and people don't mix. 'Cheeky' crocs either need to be sent to farms (where they end up shot or in a cage where they may aswell be dead anyway) or killed.

So you say that crocs become aware of the traps after being caught? This is displaying (to some degree) cognitive thought. Pretty interesting for longqi's thread. Hope you don't mind me pinching this quote.

This thing about three deaths in three years is so wrong
Just two weeks ago a community man was taken at a creek mouth
One month before that a kid was taken with the brother as a witness so thats two in two months
Im way out of touch with the Top End now but even I know that much
Two more around the Daintree in Qld within the last two years
Three years ago there also three within a short period one in the Daly one kid in a creek and one in Arnhem land
How many others have disappeared from out lying communities recently???

As someone [sorry but I forgot your name] here so rightly pointed out on the last page
The local communities rely on hunting and foraging for food
Remember food
Up there it doesnt come from Mackas or KFC and there are no Woolworths for 100s of kilometres
So they have no option but to get their own especially during the wet when they may be cut off for months on end

Maybe the crocs have some rights to live
But so do the local people

Im sure this will have been said before somewhere but the local people can hunt native animals
One day maybe they will simply get jack of all the crocs and clean them right out of a few areas
Imagine the stink then from people down south

I would never be in favour of exterminating them and to see a wild croc is a great experience
But culling will have to taken as an option very soon or the place will be crawling with them
Another 10 years and there will be more than a few that reach 6metres
That size croc may be a tourist attraction but its also a big mean hungry machine

My life experience is neither narrow nor priveleged, and it isn't a twisted idea, it's the way I view life. The animals are not here for us to do what we like with them, we need to learn to live safely around them. Anyway, I'm not going to change my mind on this, nor am I looking at changing the mind of anyone else. I've said how I felt, thank you for the discussion but it's going to keep going around and around in circles now. I have to say, though, that I'm an educator and am well travelled, and like to show my daughter different places so she can see for herself rather than just watching it on TV, looking it up on the internet, or reading about it in books. All these can make good references, but nothing beats real experience. Have a good night.

Unless you have lived in remote areas of North Qld, NT or WA where there is no trapping or controlling of crocodile numbers your life experience is narrow in this respect of living with crocodiles. Visiting doesn't cut the mustad and to be able to feed your family and keep them healthy on a purely vegetarian diet makes you very privelidged.

Longqi there is some controversey whether that young fella (i actually taught him back in 2009) in Millingimbi was killed by a croc or simply drowned. But you are right, people go missing up here all the time (one fella here disappeared last weekend, the locals blame black magic) and because we are remote there is ne real investigation into them. I wonder how many of these people may have actually been taken by a croc.

I think it's rather arrogant to assume human life is more important than animal life.

I'm against harm to animals, it's what I believe and who I am, and I'm sorry that people find it a difficult concept.

Just out of curiosity - Are you a vegetarian??

This thing about three deaths in three years is so wrong
Just two weeks ago a community man was taken at a creek mouth
One month before that a kid was taken with the brother as a witness so thats two in two months

I forgot about the man missing from Galawinku, but they havent confirmed that as a croc attack. I wasn't including Qld in my figures, just the Top End. But either way the rate of fatalities is increasing and there is no long term plan even being discussed by government.

I forgot about the man missing from Galawinku, but they havent confirmed that as a croc attack. I wasn't including Qld in my figures, just the Top End. But either way the rate of fatalities is increasing and there is no long term plan even being discussed by government.

I'm thinking of a different person then... so that's an extra fatality that could be attributed to crocs.

As soon as a croc gets to be a problem in a community it's shot by someone. Traps really only go in when it can't be found.

Unless you have lived in remote areas of North Qld, NT or WA where there is no trapping or controlling of crocodile numbers your life experience is narrow in this respect of living with crocodiles. Visiting doesn't cut the mustad and to be able to feed your family and keep them healthy on a purely vegetarian diet makes you very privelidged.

Like I said, I actually DO live in these parts ;)

I have visited other places like SEQld, Victoria, NSW, but live in the northern parts of Qld.

Just out of curiosity - Are you a vegetarian??

Yes, dairy free vegetarian and we only use eggs if our friends free-range rescue chickens are laying. Why's that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back