Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

up here on holidays at my grandparents place and was wondering if theres any good places for herping around here? (Oxenford in Qld)

any ideas would be really good! :D
-oh yeah i might be going to Australia Zoo on the weekend ;):)

cheers.

I caught a rough scale at Hinze Dam.

australia zoo is sweet!!! you gonna be back when ryans here?

Hey mate,

As far as I know, Oxenford is mainly suburbia. But you are in close proximity to some pretty sweet, well known herp spots like Mount Tamborine, Lamington Plateau, Canungra, Numinbah Valley, Beaudesert etc.

thanks for the replies!
luke- i think i come home on tuesday so i might be able to go with u guys on wednesday!

Hey mate,

As far as I know, Oxenford is mainly suburbia. But you are in close proximity to some pretty sweet, well known herp spots like Mount Tamborine, Lamington Plateau, Canungra, Numinbah Valley, Beaudesert etc.
sweet thanks!

damn! my parents and grandparents went to mt tambourine on thursday!! i was out with my cousin so i didnt get to go!

ill c if i can go to one of those places tommorow or monday :)

oh yeah my uncle up here works at a wildlife rescue place and they get heaps of snakes there so i might be able to go with him for part of monday!

Not exactly in the Oxenford area (about 1.5 hours away) but I did a night run over Mt. Glorious last night and saw a heap of critters.

1 x Furina diadema ( red naped snake)
1 x Cacophis harriettae (white crowned snake)
2 x Boiga irregularis (Brown Tree Snake)
2 x Dendrelaphis punctulata ( Green Tree Snake)
2 x Cryptophis nigrescens (Small Eyed Snake)
6 x Cycladomorphis gerrardii (Pink Tounge Skink)
1 x Oedura tryoni (Southern Spotted Velvet Gecko)
1 x Lialis burtonis (Burtons Legless Lizard)
1 x Tyto alba (Barn Owl)
8 x Podargus strigoides (Tanwy Frogmouth)

a heap of frogs and a couple of Antechinus.

Was a good night for herping and if the weather keeps up the way it is today then tonight should be just as good.
As Jonno mentioned the area down around Tamborine and Lamington should give you a pretty similar range of species if you were to go out for a drive tonight.

Cheers Andrew

As Johnno said, that area is a goldmine.
Spent a few weeks at a friends property in Numinbah a couple of years ago. Quite a few Coastal Carpets in the sheds, and one poor bugger that was up a tree digesting, harassed all day by birds. For a few days....
Saw Brown Tree Snakes on a couple of occasions in the early evening, a young Common Death Adder on leaf litter at the entrance to a drain, and Green tree snakes during the day.
Walking along an asphalt road at night, came up on a bandy bandy. Cranky little snake! As we'd get close to it (3-4m?), it would turn and head towards us whilst throwing itself about.

The strangest encounter. 3 of us headed into the scrub one day looking for some waterholes that we had been told about. Crossed fences here and there, got lost-ish. Crossed one last fence and after a wander along a trail came across 5 blokes sitting down. All dressed in brown t-shirts and shirts! Had shovels, fence-strainers etc One of them covered in dodgy tatts.....
In the middle of nowhere?! Surrounded by scrub/rainforest...
Bugger! We'd wandered onto the property of the Numinbah Correctional Centre!! It's a low-security prison farm and these bloke worked on a fencing crew. Unsupervised, they got dropped off in a troopy then mended fences on this huge property and sat around all day chatting, smoking.
Funny blokes...subtley hinting that we could return at some stage and leave a few...'surprises'? We kinda laughed it off, had a chat and all of us felt it best to get outta there quick! Imagine the drama if a prison officer came along :D
Good fun, and a great area for herping both day and night.

cheers!

im cmoing home today so i didnt get to go to any of those places.. next time!

i went to my uncles work - Animal welfare league. was pretty good! they usually get heaps of snakes every day there but we only saw one - a coastal carpet but i didnt get to take any pics :( there was millions of dogs there and stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back