Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your faith?

• Catholic

Votes: 25 9.4%
  • Anglican

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • Jehovah's Witness

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Other Christian

Votes: 17 6.4%
  • Muslim

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • Other Eastern

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Scientology

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Other

Votes: 28 10.5%
  • Atheist/No religion

Votes: 158 59.4%
  • snake fanatic

Votes: 10 3.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
To all, I have a very relevant question, and I'd like an answer to this:

If the bible is to be believed, then in the beginning, god created adam and eve, they had two sons.... with me so far?? Now, of the two sons, cain and abel, cain was said to slay abel ok? So we now have adam, eve, and cain. It is at this point it gets confusing, cause cain then "took himself a wife"..................... where the HECK did SHE come from????

The first thing I do when someone comes to my door unannounced is I ask them are they here about religian and quite a lot of the time they will lie but if you continue letting them speak, it's pretty clear they are talking about religian. That's when I shut the door and walk away. A lot of them have sneaky ways of drawing you into a conversation or baiting you into an argument.

thats a fair enough response. i would do the same if my request was ignored. shutting the door and walkin away is all thats needed. no abuse or name calling.

just like telemarketers, if they dont listen, hangup..... and yes i used to do telesales too! hahaha

People have the right to voice their opinions and they can put whatever they like on the net, within reason.

The big difference is, I don't have to have it shoved down my throat when I open my own front door. For me to see something on the internet I have to search it out. I've been using the internet for years and not once have I seen a religious site, cause I choose not to go on them.

Don't get much of a choice though when some nutter's at the door with their foot stopping you closing it. He, on the other hand had a choice...he could choose to leave his foot there or he could choose to have a vase smacked over his head. :)
Hope he kept his foot in the door.:lol:

As for atheists not trying to change religious people's views, have you been on the internet lately ;)? Atheists are worse than Christians in that regard! :lol:
Gotta admit, religious types do their fair share to keep intelligent, free thinking people away themselves.
http://www.conservapedia.com/Main_Page

No, everyone is born Christian. Only later in life do people choose to stray from Jesus and worship satan instead. Atheists have the greatest "cover" of all, they insist they believe in no god yet most polls done and the latest research indicates that they are actually a different sect of Muslims.

Biblebashers are just up the top of my street now. Just in case they're a new bunch' and haven't experienced the warm welcome, to be expected at No.1, I've got the hose all ready to go.:evil:

tongue in cheek or not.. your comments throughout this 'amazing' thread have been pretty derogatory towards a large group of people - i understand that you dont agree with religion, i just think if you approached it differently your views would be appreciated and accepted.. i always say if you don't like what you read, stop reading it and find something else to do that will tickle you pink!

:p

i have just had JW attend my door - i answered, they told me who they were and i said i have my own beliefs, they nodded and told me to have a lovely day.. no hassle answering the door, no hassle if they wanted to share what their love with me.. i was thinking to myself 'bugger you're a bit of cutie fancy a date later?"

i actually look at it all as a beautiful thing.. that someone is so passionate in their beliefs that they want to share it with me and care enough about a complete stranger to spend their free time to spread their word.

muslim, christian, jewish, or other.. be happy in your beliefs and share them as you must.. if i got a moment i am open to listen and reject if needed with respect.

just got through watching the youtube series on Khaled Yasin, Christiantiy, Islam, and God that was posted in this thread - an amazing man who speaks well and with conviction - clearly rejects some of the writings of christianity but does not reject the notion of mary and jesus - just the interpretation.

would love to hear him speak someday!

the key to everything.. respect.

tongue in cheek or not.. your comments throughout this 'amazing' thread have been pretty derogatory towards a large group of people - i understand that you dont agree with religion, i just think if you approached it differently your views would be appreciated and accepted.. i always say if you don't like what you read, stop reading it and find something else to do that will tickle you pink!

i have just had JW attend my door - i answered, they told me who they were and i said i have my own beliefs, they nodded and told me to have a lovely day.. no hassle answering the door, no hassle if they wanted to share what their love with me.. i was thinking to myself 'bugger you're a bit of cutie fancy a date later?"

i actually look at it all as a beautiful thing.. that someone is so passionate in their beliefs that they want to share it with me and care enough about a complete stranger to spend their free time to spread their word.

muslim, christian, jewish, or other.. be happy in your beliefs and share them as you must.. if i got a moment i am open to listen and reject if needed with respect.

just got through watching the youtube series on Khaled Yasin, Christiantiy, Islam, and God that was posted in this thread - an amazing man who speaks well and with conviction - clearly rejects some of the writings of christianity but does not reject the notion of mary and jesus - just the interpretation.

Thumbs up to you English

People have the right to voice their opinions and they can put whatever they like on the net, within reason.

The big difference is, I don't have to have it shoved down my throat when I open my own front door. For me to see something on the internet I have to search it out. I've been using the internet for years and not once have I seen a religious site, cause I choose not to go on them.

I don't actually visit religious sites, so I wouldn't know. What I was actually referring to were comments on a social news site I sometimes visit. (I'm not going to mentions the site - I'm not sure of APS's rules on mentioning other sites without admin permission).

Hardcore atheists on that site (and I'm sue many others) go out of there way to attack anyone who could possibly believe in a god. Now I know there are some zealot 'Christians' out there, but by-and-large, most of us are pretty reasonable people.

To all, I have a very relevant question, and I'd like an answer to this:

If the bible is to be believed, then in the beginning, god created adam and eve, they had two sons.... with me so far?? Now, of the two sons, cain and abel, cain was said to slay abel ok? So we now have adam, eve, and cain. It is at this point it gets confusing, cause cain then "took himself a wife"..................... where the HECK did SHE come from????

The Bible doesn't say that Cain and Able were Adam and Eve's only children. Cain's wife would have been either a sister, or possible a neice.

You call me derogatory, and in the next breath air your thoughts towards the botherer on your doorstep. Interesting, to know what tickles your Pink.;)

you know what if ur into it thats cool but dont go knocking on my door at 9 am after ive been out all night and uve woken me up and start pushing ur own beliefs i dont care if i did ig sort it out myself on sundays

Ahhh but you see, even though I know that no one can force me to believe in anything I don't want to, some of the christians around me, THINK they have the right to continually try and get me to change my opinion and 2 members of my own family are the worst culpruits.

I never said that the bible tells anyone to go out and kill people but an earlier post said that biblebashers were just doing what the bible told them to do. Anyway, I challenge you to show me anyone who follows the bible to the letter because most religious people I know, pick and choose what parts they want to believe and follow.

I was raised a christian and I was baptised as a baby but I have made a conscience decision not to follow that path in life because it makes me feel so uncomfortable because I just can't abide by a lot of what goes on at churches. Some of their basic beliefs are fine and usually most people who are decent people follow that way of life, such as treat others like you'd like to be treated, etc.

My biggest problem with religian is that people who believe in religian have an arrogance that makes them feel that they are the only ones who are right and that everyone else is wrong and is a sinner. You don't see many athiests going around trying to change people's minds about their faith. I believe everyone has the right to believe in what they want and if they gain comfort from that, then I'm happy for them, but personally I don't gain anything by putting my faith in an unseen god. I have faith in me because to be honest, I'm the only one I can truly trust in life to do the right thing by me.
ok your choice.
with the last paragraph, unless your talking about a different religion then christianity, christians know that everyones sinners not just people whjo arent christians.

You call me derogatory, and in the next breath air your thoughts towards the botherer on your doorstep. Interesting, to know what tickles your Pink.;)

they did not 'bother' me though.. maybe because we shared a mutual respect for each other..

:D

me religion is buddhism and i really dont follow it to heart because i sin everyday even when i know i shouldnt.
the main thing to every religion is that there is goodness it them. it teaches ppl to be good. doesnt matter what type it is or whatever the colour of the book its from.... to be good is good enough for me.

but every one makes mistakes and sins everyday whether we like it or not which is a good thing. otherwise we all will be the same and it can get very very boring. Uniqueness in personality is good, sometimes bad things happens to someone, but its a good thing for someone else. Life works in unusual ways. You may get fired from your job because the boss doesnt like you, then the job opportunity opens its door to someone else, which means luck for that person.

Some one gets murdered, maybe that person who was killed deserved it because he was a bad person to many others and could even cause more mischief and harm to others in future if he wasnt disposed of.

As long as you are good, and the religion you believe in teaches goodness, then theres no harm for what you believe in. If it doesnt do you harm, its good anyways.

But if it harms other ppl through war, then you can think twice. Is it that religion, or the ppl who gets brainwashed so bad that they lose self conscious and go crazy.

Holy moley, that is loopy!!!

I'll bet it is American - they love to equate anything "bad" with Islam. Kinda like in the 50s when anyone in the US who questioned the status quo was "a Commie".

Agreed Notechistiger

Although I didn't TRY to be Christian. I was brought up as a Christian Scientist from early childhood. At least they were considered a cult by the rest of the Christian world, now it's just a sect. Bah. But when I started to skip a few Sundays, I started to question the beliefs, then ultimately decided that "god" doesn't even exist, and if he really truley does, he's NOT my god.

I'm much more interested in reading different philosophies, particularly Nihilism and exsistentialism. THey're a fun look on life.

I have never.

Ever.

Been doorknocked by an atheist.

I was talking about online in that post.

However, if a group of atheists got together and decided they would organise themselves and knock on people's doors, it would not bother me. They have the same right to do it as religious people.

the main thing to every religion is that there is goodness it them. it teaches ppl to be good. doesnt matter what type it is or whatever the colour of the book its from.... to be good is good enough for me.

People don't necessarily have to be religious to be 'good", nor do they have to read out of a book to attain it. There ARE people out there who aren't religious by any means, yet they are 'good'!!!

Some one gets murdered, maybe that person who was killed deserved it because he was a bad person to many others and could even cause more mischief and harm to others in future if he wasnt disposed of. WHAT???? This is definitely the most screwed up thing I have EVER read on this whole site!!!!!! "it doesn't matter if the person who was murdered wasn't a 'good' person???? Whatever happened to the sacredness of life??? not just for "good" people neither!

As long as you are good, and the religion you believe in teaches goodness, then theres no harm for what you believe in. If it doesnt do you harm, its good anyways. so, in other words, you have to have a religion to believe in!

But if it harms other ppl through war, then you can think twice. Is it that religion, or the ppl who gets brainwashed so bad that they lose self conscious and go crazy.
http://buddhism.about.com/od/basicbuddhistteachings/a/war.htm

As I have said in a pm not long ago about this thread, I have the utmost respect for religious people, to each his own, I say, live and let live...... but what I can't stand, are those who think they can preach AT us, and confront us with their beliefs, firmly believing we should be coming round to their way of thinking.........

English, you are VERRRRY lucky that your doorknockers just mildly accepted your answer, all the ones who have been rude enough to knock on our door have insisted and carried on and on till I've had to get blunt with them and shut the door (well, if they're rude enough to disturb peoples day when in the shelter of their own homes, they should expect people to be rude in return)

NAW.......... to religious fanatics who think we should all be saved, I have this to say, you leave me alone, and I'll happily leave you alone. I respect your views, but don't push them in front of me, cause I BITE!!!!! As I'm sure many others would.

I have yet to find a religion that tells the WHOLE truth, and tells it as it is, not flowery and frilled out to suit.................one that can stand true without lies and cover-ups and made up stories... even in the church I belonged to, THAT's why I don't belong anymore.

http://buddhism.about.com/od/basicbuddhistteachings/a/war.htmNAW.......... to religious fanatics who think we should all be saved, I have this to say, you leave me alone, and I'll happily leave you alone. I respect your views, but don't push them in front of me, cause I BITE!!!!! As I'm sure many others would.

If it offends you that much, next time JWs come, tell them you do not want them to return. You will be placed on a list of houses where they don't call.

However, if a group of atheists got together and decided they would organise themselves and knock on people's doors, it would not bother me. They have the same right to do it as religious people.
Could hardly disagree, now,could you..

I suppose in all fairness, I've never been dooreknocked by a jew, muslim or catholic either.

I don't agree however, that atheists are as vigilant in their efforts to convert people or change their minds on things as religious folk.
After all, we're not trying to 'save' anyone.

There are a few notable exceptions perhaps, Dawkins, Hitchens etc., but again, I had to seek them out, not viceversa.

EDIT: I might add, this thread was not started by an atheist ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back