Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your faith?

• Catholic

Votes: 25 9.4%
  • Anglican

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • Jehovah's Witness

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Other Christian

Votes: 17 6.4%
  • Muslim

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • Other Eastern

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Scientology

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Other

Votes: 28 10.5%
  • Atheist/No religion

Votes: 158 59.4%
  • snake fanatic

Votes: 10 3.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This type of hypocrisy is what turns a lot of people away from religion. Maybe they should read Mark 10:21!

Yes, but abbot I don't believe there are any religions which actually embody this idea. Giving away all your worldly possessions to follow god is a nice idea, but there are very few individuals who would be capable of it, and certainly not an entire church full!!!

Last edited:
This type of hypocrisy is what turns a lot of people away from religion. Maybe they should read Mark 10:21!

LMAO....abbott....hypocrisy doesnt even enter into it, you still couldnt make me believe there was a creator.

At the end of the day.....all religions are a dying belief....since the day the human race started to understand its own existance, faith or belief in every religion has fallen every year and will continue to do so until it dissapears totally.

Last edited:
Who blindly believes what? It seems to me that you blindly believe what the media preaches to you.
As for female circumcision it is a cultural thing so has no place in a religious thread. You have real live muslims telling you that they, and all others they know disagree with this "cleric" but you continue to hold on to your unfounded beliefs, if you can do it why can't we. If blind faith bothers you so much please feel free to stop practicing it.

Channi, didn't you know we have another Horsesrule on our hands?:lol:

Is it true...jesus only rose from the dead at easter so no-one could nick his easter eggs ???;)

Bahahahahahahahaha! I bet that's not the first time that question has been asked! Wonder how many teachers have had that asked to them? LOL!

Yes, but abbot I don't believe there are any religions which actually embody this idea. Giving away all your worldly possessions to follow god is a nice idea, but there are very few individuals who would be capable of it, and certainly not an entire church full!!!

The fact that (lots of?) scriptures are littered with contradictions and un-truths that require 'interpretation' means you get to pick and choose, dontcha' know. Win :D

I'm so so sory to inform all of you that "God is dead". Yes Nietzsche was a prophet. God saw what he created (in 6 DAYS) and realized what a mistake it was, shook is head and asked Superman to fly him to Mars where he would take his time in creating new life, practice makes perfect after all. A young girl named Angel (that's me), chased after the unholy god and killed him. So now we all know why bad things happen to good people. With Angel and Satan as the only supreme beings, humanity is screwed.

That's the start of my new translation of gensis, it strays from the original just a bit but makes much more sence don't you think? It's a book so it must be hystorically correct right.

:D:D:D:D:lol::lol::lol:

Why hasn't Satanism been added to the poll yet? It's a credible religion. It has it's own church and everything so it must be a religion!:lol::lol:;);)

Indulging in your own desires instead of abstaining from them makes more sense.

Heres another angle to throw in the mix....How do you know the bible wasnt written by someone in the future, who came back in time and planted it to change the course of history ????;)

I still like mine better...That's religion for you...piggheadedness (it's a word im sure of this...just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean it's not a word)...besides I'm a supreme being now so I've made it a word. Wow everything is credible when you're a supreme being :D :D :D

That can be interpreted in so many dangerous ways, just like that muslim cleric who only yesterday stated that a man should force his wife to have sex, and it didn't matter if she didn't want it, and that it was ok to hit her if she disbeyed................... now THAT'S scary, coming from a faith that says it promotes peace!!!!

I know, what an idiot! Aside from the problems I have with the content of his speech (although keep in mind many Anglo-Australian men believed the same thing until only a generation or two ago - some still do...) I can't believe he thought it would be a good idea. I mean don't they have a PR department at the mosque or something? It's like he sat down with the other imams and said, "Now, let's work out how we can make Australian Muslims look as bad as possible. What should I say at prayers this week which will offend/outrage everyone?"

Not to my mind, no, but I don't look for ulterior motives, and I don't know the full reason it was brought up, hubby came in and told me last night when it was on the news. It matters not when it was publicised though, if I'd remembered it at the earlier comment about obedient wives by the door knockers, I'd have mentioned it anyway!!!!!! Demonstrating that religious views can be misinterpreted by individuals with many followers/listeners who embrace what they say. It's not a good thing for anyone to say at any time, is it????

That's why it's dangerous, because their leaders say it should be so, they blindly believe it!!!!!!! Female circumcision is promoted as a spiritual/religious thing, predominantly in Africa, but because those who still listen, hundreds, or thousands of young girls suffer this cruel mutilation. I could wax lyrical for a long while, but it's enough to know such blind faith happens!

You will find that the majority of Muslims have rejected his comments, and they are comments of one mans opinion.
Its people like this who always seem to make the spotlight, the media will always spin things into the direction they want, never telling the full story.

The Qur'an if literally translated into English can have several different meanings, as one word in Arabic can mean or represent different things.

I read a comment earlier in this thread where someone mentioned wanting to read the Bible and Qur'an etc to see the differences/similarities.
If you want to do this, PLEASE be sure to find a copy that is translated 'into english meaning' and not a literal word for word translation.

Also there are requirements that you be clean etc when you read/hold/touch the Qur'an, please read up on these things also.

Ramadan is the 3rd pillar of Islam, a month in which Muslims do not eat or drink during daylight hours.

For Muslims, Ramadan is not merely a holiday, but an opportunity to gain by giving up, to prosper by going without and to grow stronger by enduring weakness.
Also, fasting is a way of experiencing hunger and developing sympathy for the less fortunate, and learning to thankfulness and appreciation.

We are also required to donate to charity or give Zakaat, which im sure you will find most muslims do and are more than happy to do so.

You will find that the majority of Muslims have rejected his comments, and they are comments of one mans opinion.
Its people like this who always seem to make the spotlight, the media will always spin things into the direction they want, never telling the full story.

The Qur'an if literally translated into English can have several different meanings, as one word in Arabic can mean or represent different things.

I read a comment earlier in this thread where someone mentioned wanting to read the Bible and Qur'an etc to see the differences/similarities.
If you want to do this, PLEASE be sure to find a copy that is translated 'into english meaning' and not a literal word for word translation.

Also there are requirements that you be clean etc when you read/hold/touch the Qur'an, please read up on these things also.

Ramadan is the 3rd pillar of Islam, a month in which Muslims do not eat or drink during daylight hours.

For Muslims, Ramadan is not merely a holiday, but an opportunity to gain by giving up, to prosper by going without and to grow stronger by enduring weakness.
Also, fasting is a way of experiencing hunger and developing sympathy for the less fortunate, and learning to thankfulness and appreciation.

We are also required to donate to charity or give Zakaat, which im sure you will find most muslims do and are more than happy to do so.

I think we should all donate to some sort of charity, whatever it may be regardless of faith or belief...

Havent read this whole topic but isnt ramidan similar to what monks do when they go to live in a convent kind of like exile and give themselves to god, except for a longer period?

Some sections of the jewish faith also do a similar thing to ramidan on certain days i think?

That is one of my major problems with the Catholic Church. They will happily take an Irish mammy's last tenner in the collection plate, or a couple of coins from a poverty-stricken Brazilian family, while their bureaucracy live among the most obscene ostentation you could possibly imagine. It makes me quite sick to think about.

This reminded me of something from my childhood. I can remember going up to my mother when I was about 8 and showing her a letter from the school about an upcoming excursion and asking if I could go but she told me she couldn't afford it. Funnily enough though, at the time she was shoving a $20 note in an envelope that her church had given her. (This is 30 years ago when $20 was a lot of money). The school I went to didn't organise many excursions and it was awful having to stay behind on my own while all my friends went off and had a great time. For all her hard work in trying to force me into becoming a christian, this one act was probably the start of me turning away from it.

This church not only would pass around the plate for everyone to donate money to during the service, but they 'pre-printed' envelopes with surnames so that they knew just how much everyone was giving. Then they would stand at the door as you walked in so you could hand it over.

This reminded me of something from my childhood. I can remember going up to my mother when I was about 8 and showing her a letter from the school about an upcoming excursion and asking if I could go but she told me she couldn't afford it. Funnily enough though, at the time she was shoving a $20 note in an envelope that her church had given her. (This is 30 years ago when $20 was a lot of money). The school I went to didn't organise many excursions and it was awful having to stay behind on my own while all my friends went off and had a great time. For all her hard work in trying to force me into becoming a christian, this one act was probably the start of me turning away from it.

This church not only would pass around the plate for everyone to donate money to during the service, but they 'pre-printed' envelopes with surnames so that they knew just how much everyone was giving. Then they would stand at the door as you walked in so you could hand it over.
we all know priests like wearing the latest ARMANI..................went to a catholic school all my life ....the HYPOCRISY......was what opened my eyes ! and alot are like that only have to be a good christian on SUNDAYS......religion is the root of all evil.....I ask you this, why is it a nessesity that you feel your better then anyone else? why do we have to "kiss the popes ring" is he better then you or I ? if you were truely a follower of JESUS then why are you not living the basic life that he led? he didnt get driven around in a bullet proof pope mobile , he didnt wear red shoes he didnt have people kiss his lavish ring,,,,he was given a crown of thorns and beaten for his beliefs and crucified for his beliefs from other "religious"people that claimed what they believed was the truth...and history repeated itself again and again how many die because of what they truely believe in?...catholics and protestants...muslims...etc the holy groups of war mongers....if that it what believing in religion is about then I am glad that its not in my immediate life ....you want compassion you want TRUE faith? then focus on the people that work with the helpless that give aid to the homeless without expecting anything in return ..their your true christians their your true beliefs they are doing "GODS" WORK!...........:rolleyes:

Biblebashers are just up the top of my street now. Just in case they're a new bunch' and haven't experienced the warm welcome, to be expected at No.1, I've got the hose all ready to go.:evil:

Lol...will serve them right too. Arrogant 'you know whats' thinking they have the right to preach their opinions to others.

I once had some bible bashers walk past my front yard and then they decided to walk over to me. They asked me was my dog friendly (huge red cattle x staffy) and I said she was, but then when they were in between me and the dog I said, 'oh but she has been known to attack without warning in the past' (total lie) and they took off running..lol

A couple of posts a few pages ago commented on Catholicism and the vatican and about catholicism being more of a business than a religion. I totally agree. I went to the Vatican last year and found the wealth of the church disgusting in comparison to the poverty of the followers. You paid a fee to enter the vatican, i asked the tour guide how much revenue they get per day and it was around 500, 000 euro! calculate this over the course of a year and you ask yourself why they arent providing food for the developing countries and feeding the starving, instead of covering everything in gold leaf!!! that is hypocrisy, they preach about material wealth being detrimental to your spiritual wealth yet the men in power live like kings????

now as i said before i was bought up a JW, i no longer go to meetings so cant be considered a Jehovah's Witness anymore. But from seeing the way the bible is followed to the scripture i can honestly say there is no hypocrisy in the religion. They dont partake in wars, many earlier Jehovah's Witnesses have been thrown into jail for not fighting in the world wars. They do not force you to giv money. The 'elders' as they call them do not gain monetary incentives like the pope. So when you talk about hypocrisy it helps if you actually know something about the religion first. Alot of ppl are quick to start blasting accusations without knowing the facts.

yeah i dont agree with Catholics in a lot of things; as i think most anglicans will agree with me. But yeah im anglican :D

Biblebashers are just up the top of my street now. Just in case they're a new bunch' and haven't experienced the warm welcome, to be expected at No.1, I've got the hose all ready to go.:evil:

Why do you have to behave like this? Do you react like this to every stranger who comes to your door? A salesman trying to sell their product or sign you up to something? They have been told by their employer to do this work.

So why, be so rude to religious people knocking on your door. yes you may find it annoying. just politely ask them to leave and say you are not interested. all they are doing is following the instruction in the bible ''go and make disciples of men''.

Sure, I acknowledge that in theory Islam has some great concepts, especially zakaat (which is the equivalent of tithing in catholicism) but look at the Islamic church as a whole - corrupt men in charge (same as every religion); imams who are focused on power and politics instead of faith; and connections between fundamentalist mosques and fanatical terrorist groups.

Whether you put this down to "man twisting god's word" or there is another excuse, the religion is still nothing more than a way to control masses of people, allow the men in charge to do what he want by interpereting the bible (or koran) to suit them and gain power and influence.

Any ideal which is subject to human interference and involves having power over a large number of people will end up corrupt and greedy which is why religion is an unnecessary burden in today's society.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back