Australian Air Express

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We fly our reptiles all over the eastern states and each time I turn up someone is either sending or recieving reptiles in foam boxes or even cardboard, with the regs in place it's about time AAE enforced them, this would stop problems like escaped reptiles.

If everyone would do the right thing when sending reptile there would be fewer complaints about AAE.

Is it only capital cities that do this? Or could I get stuff delivered to say, Wagga? (Wagga's pretty big/good with normal couriers).

When we send our snakes, they are in a bag ( zippie tied ) , in a box, in a foam esky...
There is no way the snake can get out of that - and we write it on the outside of esky...
We have been sending all around Australia for the last 3 years this way - and we have had not problems.
We have once received a snake that was in a sock and then in a small plastic container - dont know how that one got through....

ian_davo, read the information available, they must be in a crush proof plastic or wooden box, they can and should, turn you away if this is not met...FOAM is not crush proof and according to their policies not acceptable....you can have them in a bag, in a foam esky and then is a plastic box or wooden box.

If you package the animals correctly then there is no risk of escape, if you follow the written regulations then you have no chance of being rejected!

It's certainly worth doing it properly as per instructions - don't forget, if something goes wrong, there will be compensation for any losses. That applies to all livestock on AaE. While the AaE personnel may be very careful, once the parcel is taken over by the cargo handlers (airline's or airport employees) you can expect anything to happen. These power clenching, union ridden brutes are rough as guts, throwing parcels onto the conveyor belt as if they were bricks. Oups, there goes your polystyrene box!

There is not always compensation, especially if a person does not package the animals according to CASA regulations!!

In my own experience using AAE when freighting, it all depends on the day, who serves you and what mood they are in!

Couple of examples:

* I've sent elapids before were I was not even asked what type of snake is it...python or venomous?

* I've received pythons in foam boxes with no questions asked? Other times I've received pythons in a foam box and got scalded for it!

* Another time I sent an elapid tied up in two calico bags, inside a hardened plastic type tub, that much electrical tape that only the breathing holes were visible and I was denied freighting for that day. I asked for a supervisor as my argument was that I've sent elapids before in the exact same set-up with no questions asked. The supervisor proceeded to show me the holy grail book of freighting and explained that they can only be in a wooden box, and the box must be screwed together with a mesh type window on one side of the box so that the snake can be viewed from within...what the?

But what really got my goat up is when the Supervisor of AAE said to me they don't even have to ask for ID when collecting pythons??? So in other words anyone can come in and pick up a $$$$$ snake and just walk out with it, the supervisor just shrugged his shoulders and said it's not there responsibility....And I know for a fact that this type of incident has happened before!

I took a parcel to AaE last Saturday and I was running late. I thought I do the right thing and ring them, let them know that I'll be few minutes late. No one picked up the phone, so I left while my wife kept dialing their number. When I arrived at the Depot, the phone was ringing on the frond desk, so I asked the officer "aren't you going to answer it, it's probably my wife". He laughed and said; "we don't answer the phone on Saturdays". I thought he was joking but s it turned out, he wasn't.
Guess what, I emailed the AaE national office in Melbourne on Monday, got a phone call from the state manager, later from the regional manager and finally from the Cairns supervisor. THEY ARE NOW ANSWERING THE PHONE EVEN ON SATURDAYS.
.... oh, sweet satisfaction.

Last week "identical" snakes [hatchies] "identical" boxing, one to Cairns from Brizzy $71.00 the other to Melbourne $51.00, when l enquired as to the difference in pricing l was quite firmly told "costs" involved take it or leave it........go figure!!!! solar 17 [Baden]

The pricing is fixed, there is a rate that works out either on the weight of the item or the cubed weight of the item, most times it will go on the cubed rate, this means that you will pay more for larger boxes, they will weigh the box first and then cube it, if the cubed weight is greater then that is what you will pay! Ask them to show you how they worked it out.

In terms of receiving goods it is not your responsibility, it is the responsibility of the person sending them and the office at which the item is sent from. AAE have an obligation to ensure that the animal is correctly packaged, if not the MUST refuse to accept it. Once the person at the desk signs for the animal, if it is not properly packaged they have accepted responsibility for it and if anything goes wrong it is on their head as they did not follow their own regulations. If you are shipping animals make sure it is done right and you avoid these hassles, I have received a large number of snakes of late, all have been properly packaged, no foam eskies, all boxes clearly labeled and crush resistant. The AAE do not need to ask if it is a python or venomous snake, the shipping of them is not handled in any different manner!

We do pack ours in a wooden box - its just inside the foam box... and CLEARLY marked on the outside as to how they are packed...
ie; the reptile is packed in a bag, in a wooden box inside this esky/foam box....

Please explain then how I receive snakes in cardboard boxes - with only a plastic container inside.....

Do overnight couriers require wooden boxes for shipping harmless snakes or can they be styrofoam and cardboard?

common sense would suggest that an animal should be 'packed' in such a way that it cannot be harmed if they are subject to being roughly handled through their journey, this would also include not being secured in the cargo area (Plane , train or automobile) !

if you were sending something via a freight system why would you take a chance on receiving a dead or injured animal at the other end ??? i know i wouldn't like to receive an animal in a cardboard box or a foam esky....

If you read the regulations, the outside box must be crush proof/resistant, you can claim what you like on the inside, however if they cannot see it they should not take your word on it. Many people are honest, but the dishonest ones will kill it for you, making statements that are false.

Why not make it so the the foam box fits inside the wooden one, that will then satisfy the requirements. After 18 months of transporting reptiles with me around Australia I will tell you now that even aluminum boxes are seriously damages, requiring replacement. It is the way the are loaded and unloaded from the craft and the movement within the aircraft. People like to claim its an AaE thing, but it is out of their hands once they drop the freight off at the plane, hence the regulations to protect your animals.

Do overnight couriers require wooden boxes for shipping harmless snakes or can they be styrofoam and cardboard?

My question remains- Does anyone ship reptiles using an overnight courier?

My question remains- Does anyone ship reptiles using an overnight courier?

Most courier services will not frieght animals, especially snakes.

The only one I am aware of is Hobo, but he only runs the eastern coast once or twice a month (correct me if I'm wrong). But please do let me know if there are any other services that will freight snakes?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back