EOI Reptile Expo 2010 SE Qld

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild~Touch

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I've been asked many times why we don't have a Reptile Expo in SE Qld, eg. Toowoomba,Gold Coast or anywhere in SE Qld

So Why not ???

It takes a hell of a lot of hard work and no thanks and all blame - but don't let that put you off

If you've got what it takes I'd like to hear what you can offer

Cheers
Sandee :)

I'd be interested in organising one... I used to regularly organise and run large events that were attended by 4500+ people, so I know a little somthing about event managment and promotion. I guess it wouldnt hurt to do some figures and see what kind of attendance would be expected, that would give an approximate budget to begin with! :)

Keep in mind though, there's alot more to it than just throwing some enclosures into a room and expecting people to turn up. There's venue hire fee's, public liability insurance, security, sponsors, exhibitors, advertising, informative materials and other infrastructure required to make an "event" a professional and well run EVENT.

Sponsors would be fairly limited in QLD due to our restricted commercial species list, but expanding the show to include aquariums might help bring some of the larger pet stores (that also sell reptiles like childerens pythons, turtles and lizards) on board :)

Having the sponsors and exhibitors contribute their fee's would help offset the events overall cost, but I still think you wouldnt get away with doing this properly for any less than 20K (just an "off the top of my head" figure, but if anything I would say even more) and you would probably have to have a small but reasonable entry fee (say $10-$15) to ensure you wernt ******* your money up against the wall as an organiser.

But just using the above scenario as an example, do the maths - $20,000 means that you would need roughly 5K worth of sponsor/exhibitor income and 1000 people to attend and pay their $15 per head just to break even.

Last edited:
Expo 2010

Mayhem

Thank you for your reply...it's a very important start...someone that knows what they are doing :)

For maximum attendance it would have to be somewhere near the Gold Coast

Essential factors are time of year and venue, ie, when and where

Maybe a Reptile Related Product Swap Meet could be incorporated,,,NOT ANIMALS of course

Any more ideas out there !

edited the above post to include a little more info...

You've got me thinking about it now :eek:

Venue:
RNA showgrounds

Sponsors:
QLD National Parks and Wildlife Service
EPA
A major Pet/Aquarium/Reptile store
RSPCA
APS

Exhibitors:
Pet stores
Aquarium/Terranium manufacturing businesses
NPWS
Accessory suppliers (snake hooks, heat pads all that kinda stuff)
Commercial displays

Amature Exhibitors:
Private keepers who would like to display their reptiles and talk with people who attend.

Hold some competitions between the amature displays for best snake and species etc and other creative things!

Educational Displays:
Snake Pit show
Reptile Removal businesses

... Anyway, thats just some ideas, there's a hell of alot more to it, but yeh...

Last edited:
I'm not thinking of a snake show (EPA arent keen on that) - we need something different
with a few WOW factors, eg, THE GREEN ROOM for GTPs and an OLD TIMERS LOUNGE for experienced keepers to catch up with longtime old friends..there's gotta be more ideas out there

The theme could be "REPTILE EXPO 2010 - Now and Then" showcasing how the hobby has changed over the last 10 years and where it's heading

We could have a cricket match between the HYBRIDS and the PURITANS......just for a laugh

ummm eeer Graeme Gow has passed away...gone to the big herp heaven in the sky

I have someone lined up for the reptile demonstrations another one or two would be good

Ship! Really? Wow... that guy was one of the first people to give me advice and a proper intro into the herp scene! Spent hours talking to him and handling a tree snake after a show he did at Dreamworld!

Sad stuff, nice guy, RIP!

I have someone lined up for the reptile demonstrations another one or two would be good

Well I guess first time round we wouldnt need to go to nuts with celebs hehehe I know there are a few members of APS in QLD that run educational shows etc for schools, and as you say, you know people - but public liability would have to be covered, meaning as an exhibitor, they would have to have their own insurance and the event organiser would have to have seperate liability to cover them.

We'll see what the morrow brings and possibly make plans for a brainstorming session with interested parties
Cheers
Sandee :)

Sounds awesome would definately be interested in seeing what you guys come up with. About time too that we get something here so we dont have to travel interstate or up north

I'd imagine it could be very successful . The one held in May in Sydney seems to work well & from what I understand , there are more herpers in QLD than anywhere.

i think its a bloody fantastic idea. due to my business i can never take time off to travel to other ones. so one over here would be great. alot of people would turn up. i think the gold coast would attract alot more attention then brissie or sunny coast.

Qld expo event

Hi there...My little input would be to suggest ..The Brisbane Entertainment Center.....reasoning...1.close to the airport [5 mins by car / taxi] 2. one min. walk from the railway station 3.two hundred meters from the freeway 4. on the outskirts of brizzy cbd..5 a venue that is used to and very capable of handling crowds......cheers solar 17 [Baden]

Jus tfor info guys, the Mac Herps show costs around $10,000 to put on. We get about 2,500 people through the door at $10 for an adult and $5 for a child. Sponsors are hard to find this year but in NSW remember that we can't sell reptiles commercially at all but I think in QLd you can even have reptiles at your expo and that will make it difficult to get the public along.

INterstingly, this year we have some shops saying no way because they didn't make any money last year but others wanting double the space. It certainly can work for the shops but they need to give people a reason to buy from them.

As for work - whatever your wildest estimate of the work you will have to put in could be just triple it and you will be close. Make a list ot volunteers and at least 20% of them will turn up.

Good luck.

yeah guys i would love to go to an expo thats in SE QLD as the only other exop in qld is the gladstone one which is 5 hours away from me which is very dissapointing, and i think this should be really considerable as qld does have the most reptile keepers and i hope this goes on and actually happens.

cheers Damon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back