EOI Reptile Expo 2010 SE Qld

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, interesting idea Baden. My auntie happens to be general manager of the entertainment centre. Perhaps next time I'm round her place or whatever I could bring up the idea and see what she thinks, maybe see if she can pull a few strings.

I'd be hell keen, I'll be there if we can organise it.

Hi there...My little input would be to suggest ..The Brisbane Entertainment Center.....reasoning...1.close to the airport [5 mins by car / taxi] 2. one min. walk from the railway station 3.two hundred meters from the freeway 4. on the outskirts of brizzy cbd..5 a venue that is used to and very capable of handling crowds......cheers solar 17 [Baden]

They're booked out constantly, can never get the date you want - believe me, i've had meeting after meeting with them.

I ran most of my events at the RNA showgrounds - I have a good working relationship with them and they're relatively cheap as far as venue hire fee goes. It covers all the criteria you listed above and they're central to brisbane with good public transport routes, without being too "inner city" - so parking is not problem and its free.

Jus tfor info guys, the Mac Herps show costs around $10,000 to put on. We get about 2,500 people through the door at $10 for an adult and $5 for a child. Sponsors are hard to find this year but in NSW remember that we can't sell reptiles commercially at all but I think in QLd you can even have reptiles at your expo and that will make it difficult to get the public along.

INterstingly, this year we have some shops saying no way because they didn't make any money last year but others wanting double the space. It certainly can work for the shops but they need to give people a reason to buy from them.

As for work - whatever your wildest estimate of the work you will have to put in could be just triple it and you will be close. Make a list ot volunteers and at least 20% of them will turn up.

Good luck.

Sweet, very helpful info :) I arnt sure about the whole not being able to have reptiles on display in QLD - I do know that there are some points in the EPA licence about commercial displays, but I think you might find that provided the person displaying their private animals isnt making money from it, it wont count as commercial. I guess it will take some sitting down and meeting with the "people with the say at the EPA"

Qld Reptile Expo

Hey guys,
We put the Gladstone Reptile expo on last year and have started organising this years (April 18th). There are some hurdles with conforming to the EPA.. such as no sales of reptiles or reptile products,. if it is a commercial event then only commercial reptiles can be displayed (childrens , blueys and beardies,). We found it hard to offer sponsorship as we could not show any product in a commercial manner nor mention reptile products, >we had 1400 people through last year and just covered cost with the balance going to charity as we were not allowed to make profit from the expo. our insurance was high as we had a ven display. But over all it was a great event and it was good to see all the reptiles brought in from as far away as Sunshine Coast , Mackay and Emerald

I reckon you should give it a go but first meet with the ecco acces people to make sure you dont end up on the wrong side of their laws

you would need to start organsing at least 4 months prior to your scheduled date

feel free to ask any questions ,if our good experience can help you have a succeful event , we'd be pleased to help.

Regards

Deka

awesome! The numbers are adding up :) Just having some issues getting my head around the problem with displaying reptiles?!? I'll give EPA a call now.

Talking to the guys who ran the event up north would be of good help, but from my take, would it be worth approaching them (the EPA) and put the proposal forward that commercail reptile sellers (eg, the Pet Stores that we've mentioned as possible sponsors) be able to sell their products and reptiles at the event and the amature displays be restricted to displaying non-ven and of course no selling or advertising sale of their reptiles or products?

There is a clear distinction between the two and I cant see how this breaks their laws?

Last edited:
yay you people should definately organise it in the brisbane area as someone mentioned before it is close to everything.
i reckon you could get alot of people through the gates.
get experienced speakers in to talk about husbandry and the sort.
I love the "green room" idea aswell and you could probably do the same thing for our dessert dwelling reptiles

licky

Sandee I'd be happy to exhibit at a SE Qld Expo. In terms of venue though I'd be looking at somewhere air conditioned (for humans and animals alike). I'd be reluctant to take GTPs etc to somewhere that wasn't. Maybe also it might be good to go for a smaller venue and hold it over 2 days (a weekend)? Just my 10c worth..

Hey guys,
We put the Gladstone Reptile expo on last year and have started organising this years (April 18th). There are some hurdles with conforming to the EPA.. such as no sales of reptiles or reptile products,. if it is a commercial event then only commercial reptiles can be displayed (childrens , blueys and beardies,). We found it hard to offer sponsorship as we could not show any product in a commercial manner nor mention reptile products, >we had 1400 people through last year and just covered cost with the balance going to charity as we were not allowed to make profit from the expo. our insurance was high as we had a ven display. But over all it was a great event and it was good to see all the reptiles brought in from as far away as Sunshine Coast , Mackay and Emerald

I reckon you should give it a go but first meet with the ecco acces people to make sure you dont end up on the wrong side of their laws

you would need to start organsing at least 4 months prior to your scheduled date

feel free to ask any questions ,if our good experience can help you have a succeful event , we'd be pleased to help.

Regards

Deka

G'day Deka,

Expo's aren't exactly my fort'e, but the hurdles you have described seem rather simple to overcome. Firstly - insurance with regards to venomous displays...shouldn't the demonstrator of the venomous snakes have sufficient insurance? I can understand that small time demonstrators don't have insurance as it's very costly but this could be avoided by utilising an established demonstrator with all the necessary requirements in place?

The issues regarding EPA are a little confusing too...I can totally understand their resistance to having sales of animals on the day, but they have absolutely no jurisdiction over the sale of anything other than live animals. They also can't stop people advertising animals on the day. Make yourself familiar with their legislation and make sure you stay within the lines stipulated in it - they often try and govern issues that aren't their domain, be sure not to let them.

If it did start becoming difficult, you could simply transfer all animals to be displayed to a Demonstrators Permit using the "Temporary Care" category.

G'day Deka,

Expo's aren't exactly my fort'e, but the hurdles you have described seem rather simple to overcome. Firstly - insurance with regards to venomous displays...shouldn't the demonstrator of the venomous snakes have sufficient insurance? I can understand that small time demonstrators don't have insurance as it's very costly but this could be avoided by utilising an established demonstrator with all the necessary requirements in place?

The issues regarding EPA are a little confusing too...I can totally understand their resistance to having sales of animals on the day, but they have absolutely no jurisdiction over the sale of anything other than live animals. They also can't stop people advertising animals on the day. Make yourself familiar with their legislation and make sure you stay within the lines stipulated in it - they often try and govern issues that aren't their domain, be sure not to let them.

If it did start becoming difficult, you could simply transfer all animals to be displayed to a Demonstrators Permit using the "Temporary Care" category.

G'day Deka,

G'Day Jonno,

I can understand why you would have trouble getting your head around things if expos aren't your forte. I have trouble wrapping my head around all the hurdles we had to jump over and I was there! Sadly, the world being what it is, and insurance companies being what they are, it was deemed necessary to cover the expo with one blanket policy for the day. Given that the elapid display was part of the expo, this was included in the fee and we effectively had to double up. This of course, while seeming to be somewhat more than the average joe would think necessary, was not something we considered to be a major issue as our focus was on the safety of the people attending rather than turning a profit :D

With regards to the issues surrounding the EPA laws, I think it best to point out here (as has been done elsewhere) that the purpose of the day was never to be a swap meet. As a point of interest we asked about the feasibility of setting up commerical displays (for products as well as animals) but when it was explained to those of us who met with the EPA that this would not be possible for a number of reasons we chose not to push the issue. Since the idea behind the expo here was to educate and expose the general public to all things scaley, and to have the local (and not so local!) keepers meet some others who shared their passion, it really didn't seem important to go and rock the boat.

As a point of interest for the folks organising the SE QLD expo, the issues raised by the EPA were as follows:
1) That under the EPA's guidelines, no profit could be made from the exhibition of proected species.
2) That no commercial activity can take place unless covered by the appropriate commercial permit is held and that this and the demonstrators/exhibitors permits issued for the day were mutually exlusive under their laws.

In a nutshell folks, the idea presented to us was that we could either have a commercial permit, or an exhibitors permit and since all displays on the day needed to be covered by the exhibitors permits (in the case of the elapid display the demonstrator had his own permit already) we couldn't use the displays for commercial purposes. Which obviously in our case wasn't a huge issue. Yes it would have been nice to sell some enclosures, feeding accessories and the like - but it wasn't a big loss and the day was a success far exceeding our expectations.

As some of you may inevitably wonder what happened in regards to the entry fee we charged, we were able to strike a concession. This was that we could cover our costs through the money made at the door, and anything after that we decided to donate to charity. This was an acceptable solution to both ourselves and the EPA, and the Gladstone Children's Ward was the lucky beneficiary.

Th beautiful thing about life is that nothing is lost by asking questions and a lot can be gained. So, given that your objectives are very different to our own, it would probably be of great benefit to you to approach the EPA with your ideas. The worst thing that can happen is that they can say no, I'm sure you'll be able to come up with some compromise especially if you have the support and guidance of people well versed in EPA law.

Cheers all and good luck with the day.

Kersten

i have had talks with epa , about this matter.
you can have a demonstrations, which is good
we can have pro breeders showing in stalls , good
no one is allowed to sell
you can hand out business cards and that is all.
no venomous is allowed.
and so on.
the money upfront is the hardest thing .
there is plenty of air conditioned venues around up for hire.
location would probably be the debate.
plenty of herpers up and down the coast and west as well.
so i thought brisbane would be best so as everyone can meet centrally.
if we could have show of hands to see the interest to show is worth the effort.
maybe a couple of us could fork out for adds in the mags or maybe they will do a discount for advertising for swap at a free stall.
lots of planning is involved.
movement advices have to be collected up to three weeks in advance to give to the epa.
so if you dont get your paperwork in in time you dip out
plain clothed epa officers do check all through the day as well
so make sure what your displaying is appropriate and securely locked.
i was thinking april next year.
so that hatchos would all be well established.
pm me if you want to get serious and we may actually have our own.
i am keen, and have done alot of ground work already.

Hi again,

Teach me to post when tired, I've missed something in my ittle EPA rule list there. It should read:

As a point of interest for the folks organising the SE QLD expo, the issues raised by the EPA were as follows:
1) That under the EPA's guidelines, no profit could be made from the exhibition of proected species.
2) That no commercial activity can take place unless covered by the appropriate commercial permit is held and that this and the demonstrators/exhibitors permits issued for the day were mutually exlusive under their laws.
3) That commercial permits and exhibitors/demonstrators/recreational permits cannot be held at the same premesis at the same time.

Some time ago, in relation to another matter, I was sent the part of the legislaion which covers those points. I may not still have it but I'll have a look today.

My point about asking still stands, it can't hurt to try!

snake bite

Thanks for that Jonno, how are after all your snake and rat bites i cant wait to see your exhibition it dosent sound like reptile education is your fort"e either.

I was just offering some helpful hints , i hope all goes well

Regards

Deka

G'day Deka,

Joy, Den and myself set up the magazine ( Scales & Tails Aust. ) to help the herping community where we could. If you guys are serious about this and can get something going then please feel free to pm me and let me know what we can do with the mag. to help.

On a personal note, if you guys are setting up a committee to bring all of this together, I would be interested in talking with some of you to see what I could do to help. Once again please feel free to pm me about this.
Troy K

G'day Deka,

they can stop people advertising animals on the day(or anything for that matter).

firstly it is classed an an APPROVED DISPLAY and at an approved display no profit or gain can be made .
cannot be conducted for a commercial purpose.
the animal cannot be displayed in a public place in a way that another person may reasonably believe its for sale.
the animal cannot be displayed in a way that promotes a particular product,service or buisness name.
an APPROVED DISPLAY means any of the following
-to give public information about the ecological role of the animal
-to promote education about,and the conservation of,the animal
-to promote an understanding of ecology and the conservation of the animal

we had to go all the way to the top to get a bit of leeway to allow us to hand out buisness cards and to allow the magazines to sell subscriptions(and that is only because they help in the awareness of the protected species.)

i have all tha appropriate legislation in front me to do with conducting an expo in queensland so if there is anything you need to know, my contact information is on the Queensland Reptile Expo thread.
cheers
simon

mmmmm just had an idea....all/any profits made from Expo 2010 will be made available for Australian

research into OPMV and other associated diseases..we need reptile vets on board to offer opinions

Cheers
Sandee :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back