Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
its gone way off the topic and ppl, even those in the public eye and especially those who arent are entitled to privacy

That wasn't the MM i was thinking of pilbara. :lol:

It's of little concern who MM is...Some of us know who your refering to; however it goes for all parks.....If your a private your in the crap;.....if you work for a zoo your protected..... just the way it is...

bwana said:
There were two mm's there at the same time.
Hix just wondering as to what section you are in.
I have a feeling it's not the reptile section.
just curious how close to the action you really were!

I worked in the reptile section for a year as a volunteer keeper, after working in Birds and Discovery Park (a year in each). During my tenure as a paid employee I worked in Visitor Services, Australian Mammals, the African Division and a month in Tourism. But I always kept in close contact with the guys (and occasional girls) up in the Reptile House/Serpentaria. Oh yeah - I worked with both MM's, sometimes on the same day! But I haven't worked with the current MM (although I'm assured from an excellent source that he's a great bloke).

And now, it's time for me to look like a dick.

Over the last 20 years, as I've aslready stated, I've listened to alot of garbage from idiots that don't know what they're talking about. And it's usually not directed at one individual, but tarring all the keepers with the same brush. I usually go off at these people and shut them up because they are just spreading crap.

And last night I read similar comments, and just went into autopilot and gave an argued response. I should have gone to bed.

People on this site are more knowledgable than the knobs I usually hear this stuff from. I should have considered this.

But the arguments have now started along the lines of 'certain persons'. Which is probably what I should have said last night - only one or two bad apples over the last few years. Instead I got carried away, and I admit that was a mistake. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

I just need to addresstwo things briefly: the allegation someone in the 70s took home Banded iguana eggs - Banded iguanas didn't arrive at the zoo until the eighties, and no-one knows any rumours along those lines.

Secondly, I know about the GTPs, and I saw them when they were at the zoo (although I didn't know who they belonged to). I was told later that many of them died, and that is what I believe to this day.

There were suggestions of mass appropriation by an individual, but I believe those allegations were made by someone who makes a living publishing books full of similar allegations. If anyone chooses to believe that, then that's your choice. Enough said.

And if I've shown the uninitiated that there is another side to the story, then I hope I've done some good.

:p

Hix

PS: Oldfella: I think it's obvious that I'm the fanatic, but I think last night I also acted a little foolishly. :)

I can't believe people make up this crap or worse, listen to and believe other's who have made up this crap. These sensationalists should be pulled into line for these type of allegations which are at best wild accusations and heresay. People take each other to court over this sort of crap.
Great group we have here! I hope all you newcomers are watching carefully and drop out before you too turn into the sort of people who write this s..t.
Outsiders look at this sort of stuff and form opinions on all of us (reptile keepers) as a whole.
This is the reason why I don't have anything to do with AustralianHerps(yahoo group) any more. Please don't lower the standards of this site like so many in the past. I'm sure everyone has or has had a skeleton in the closet at some time in their life but no one has the right to make it public, especially if it is unproven heresay.

Expansa1

I was born a fanatic Hix and used to watch Bonanza on tv as did bin laden its good to feel like ''one of the boys''. :p

Good advice expansa, can we get back to why we can't have exotics please ? :)

Good advice expansa, can we get back to why we can't have exotics please

Yep OK Boa - We'd love to be able to keep exotics over here in WA - Exotics like Diamond Pythons, Jungle Pythons, MD Pythons etc You guys should stop your b@#ching and complaining reflect on how bad your western cousins have got it :?

Personally I think it's high time that the NSW authorities took off their blinkers and started testing the DNA of TZ animals and comparing them to the DNA of a certain MM's exotic collections (both the ummm "public" and "private" ones).

Makes a bit of a mockery to have him pulling the wool over their eyes on the one hand while some poor idiot who picks up a baby corn snake (or whatever...) from a mate gets dragged through the Courts.

The truth is that what Bwana and PP have said about this matter is true, and even the person concerned didn't make a particular secret of it ... a good number of people involved at TZ as keepers and as administrators know it too, even if they don't sing it too the world ... which could prove embarrassing I guess for some.

Hix there's nothing wrong with defending TZ and our colleagues, but the reality is that the place has been a freeway along which exotics have travelled into the general community for many years. MM isn't the only one, and certainly won't be the last.

Cheers

Dave

I am happy just to have my Aussie reptiles .
Sure i love to see the exotics but in reality I probably will be lucky to ever be able to say i have had every aussie reptile :) so why add more to the list :)

blah blah blah.....some people for it, some against, it aint gonna happen, so this is a waste of time.

Just be happy with what you got.

The sh*t fight it turned into was more interesting. :lol:

Forget exotics...when are they going to legalise cross-breeding? Think of all the possible hybrids we could make by interbreeding intergrades. The yanks are already doing it, so why fight it?
It's the future of herping, get on board or be left behind.

Absolutely right Greebo, couldn't agree more, bring it on.
Instar, do you mean Theraphosa leblondi ? I'll have 6 please .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back