Importing my carpet python to Australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I stand by my response that this will not happen I would really like to know from the authorities why this animal will be refused when this country milks millions of dollars from owners of dogs and cats which are allowed to enter the country so long as you pay the ridiculous import charge, air line fees and quarantine fees. Keep the snake in quarantine for 12 months if that is what is needed. Tell me that an aussie snake, (captive bred or otherwise), poses a greater threat to the environment than a cat that will kill every native bird it gets chance to get its claws into.

While I stand by my response that this will not happen I would really like to know from the authorities why this animal will be refused when this country milks millions of dollars from owners of dogs and cats which are allowed to enter the country so long as you pay the ridiculous import charge, air line fees and quarantine fees. Keep the snake in quarantine for 12 months if that is what is needed. Tell me that an aussie snake, (captive bred or otherwise), poses a greater threat to the environment than a cat that will kill every native bird it gets chance to get its claws into.

100% agree, cats are a menace to native wild life. The problem is, where do you draw the line for importing snakes? I sure as hell wouldn't want a angry burm or retic cruising the neighbourhood, eating pets, native wildlife and possibly children. but i do support you on the cat scenario, importation shouldn't be allowed.

About 6 months ago I rang up the authorites about importing a green tree python into australia due to the acess to some cool genetics in the US and thought it would be all sweet if i could prove that its genetics are infact australian. the answer was a yery stern NO due to disease etc etc and I asked about quarrentine and the answer was also ahhhh.. NO.

I even inquired about having an egg shipped over (incubated during transit obviously), also again a big NO.

Sometimes it seems policies don't always reflect logic, and to quote the guy on the end of the phone in canberra.

"Look mate, I don't make the rules nor do I agree with all of them, try not to think about the logic behind it, just accept the fact that after the huge stuff up with the canetoad no one is willing to stick their neck out when it comes to changing the laws of importation of a live animal"

I can understand exotic animals though (look at southern states of america and their huge burmese problem).

As for the dude with the pibra, I feel for you. If I had to move and never see my bredli again I'd be somewhat upset.

well thats my two cents,

Last edited by a moderator:
I can understand exotic animals though (look at southern states of america and their huge burmese problem).

They are only in the southern tip of Florida. They have not established any other wild populations elsewhere.

I'm not suggesting it is possible (although for my own peace of mind I would contact NPWS personally) but the comment about strict quarrantine doesn't quite stand up. People import 'pets' all the time and the quarrantine involves them being kept for x amount of time by customs to ensure they are disease free.

I would be very curious to know from NPWS why a local species animal which can normally be legally kept can not be brought back into the country.

Why contact npws? Importation of animals from OS doesn't come under their jurisdiction.It would be under federal law and would most likely come under DAFF, Customs , DPI ,or whatever they are called these days.

Here is a snip from the DAFF website,

"Not all live animals and reproductive materials are allowed to be imported into Australia; the pest or disease risks associated with their importation may be considered too great.

The links below provide the import conditions and quarantine requirements for pet animals that currently can be imported into Australia.
Birds – Selected species from New Zealand only
Cats – DAFF approved countries only
Dogs – DAFF approved countries only
Horses – DAFF approved countries only
Rabbits – New Zealand only

Currently no other pet animals can be imported into Australia. These include such animals as chinchillas, fish, ferrets, guinea pigs, hamsters, lizards, mice, snakes, spiders and turtles."

Last edited:
I just used NPWS because they are the ones who regulate reptile licensing and as a starting point as I am sure they would have some idea or would pass you onto the relevent authority. Either way as a hyperthetical I would be curious what the official reason would be if they are not allowed to be brought back as we are talking a bout a native species and could easily be quarrantined the same as a dog or horse which is a regular practice. I have never looked into this before but I am surprised at the vehement NO it's not possible and the genrally flimsy reasons that have been the overall response.

So you expect quarantine staff to be adequaty trained in reptile husbandry so a few pet snakes can be imported and quarantined? It doesn't sound even remotely economicly viable. Not to mention we have little clue as to incubation periods for most of the nasty viruses or methods to test for them.

I'm not suggesting it is possible (although for my own peace of mind I would contact NPWS personally) but the comment about strict quarrantine doesn't quite stand up. People import 'pets' all the time and the quarrantine involves them being kept for x amount of time by customs to ensure they are disease free.

I would be very curious to know from NPWS why a local species animal which can normally be legally kept can not be brought back into the country.
I would not know for sure but I would hazard a guess at two possible reasons being

1/ Some snake viruses can take up to 12 months to show themselves and therefore the quarantine period would be at least that time.
2/ If a disease gets into Australia that effects native wildlife it could have a devastating effect on the native eco system whereas if the domestic dog population is effected by imported disease then the native eco system would not be effected.

I am not sure if these two points would effect the decision or not because we do have dingoes that may be effected by dog diseases.

So you expect quarantine staff to be adequaty trained in reptile husbandry so a few pet snakes can be imported and quarantined? It doesn't sound even remotely economicly viable. Not to mention we have little clue as to incubation periods for most of the nasty viruses or methods to test for them.
I am not sure but think that the person importing the animals pay for the quarantine fees. I know with dogs you can pay a third party company to do it all for you if you like.

Thank you for missing my point Junglepython2... the point was that other animals are brought into the country which are not native, quarrantine care aside, what reason is there not to bring a native animal back into the country. If you have a valid point to make on that I am all ears as that is the actual question put forward not whether customs staff are intelligent enough to learn herp care... which I am quite sure they are.

For those who have posed other theories, thenkyou. If there are viruses etc which take that long to incubate then it may be part of the answer. If we argue that the client is wealthy enough and attached enough to the animal to be prepared to pay for 12 month isolation what else might be the hurdle.

Basically I thought this topic was intriguing enough to warrant a bit of academic discussion without resorting to belittling people.

My points were 1. It is not economically viable and 2. we have little idea on incubation periods for the various nasties, 12 months doesn't guarantee the animal is safe and clean. I thought I made that clear and how you found that belittling is beyond me.

On a side note, just because some animal types can be imported (not that I necessarily agree with that anyway) doesn't mean anything should be allowed.

"So you expect quarantine staff to be adequaty trained in reptile husbandry so a few pet snakes can be imported and quarantined?" I did not say I expected anything of the sort, I suggested that money aside why not bring them in as they are a native species? I am also now curious what diseases snakes can carry that can incubate for 12 months? The longest quarantine I have heard of so far for other species is three months although I am open to correction on that one.

Last edited:
End of the day we do not know the incubation periods, we do not even know what viruses are out there. Some animals may possibly also be carriers and shedders of a virus and never exhibit any signs.

I just had a read of the quarantine requirements for zoos importing reptiles. They are required to be under quarantine for two years after importation, plus a 3 month period before being imported and the sending facility must be under government veterinary supervision and free of any virus diagnoses in the preceding twelve months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides, the cost etc of quarrantine can't be that prohibitive as zoos etc would have to have their exotics witheld by customs too and certainly not for 12 months.

Edit.... I honestly didn't think the hold time would be 2 years????

They are held by quarantine for 3 months, then released to the institution still under quarantine surveillance for 2 years.

I regularly see marine fish for sale that do not come from Australian waters. How does that work with this plethora of regulations? (They are not bred here either).

I can't believe this has gone to three pages... The answer from Canberra to private individuals will ALWAYS be a firm NO, they will NOT make exceptions under any circumstances because if they do it for one, they have to do it for all. There is enough difficulty managing the illegal trade in wildlife, both into and out of Australia. There are a number of very valid reasons why there is a restriction on importing any animals from other countries, in this case disease is a significant factor. Any carpet from overseas may also have PNG heritage, so genetics are considered as well.

If you want to make any changes in the long term, familiarise yourself with the reasons why not, and you will find they far outweigh the needs of a few pet keepers whinging about what they want to keep. (This was not directed at the OP by the way, his/her initial query was quite reasonable...)

Jamie

Jamie, the last page of this has been to do just that so if you know where to familiarise ourselves with all of these reasons why not share rather than being condesending?

Your point abot PNG genetics is a good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back