Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what is the location of the snake and do you actually known what it is?

I have my doubts its a Cryptophis at all

I have caught a number of boschami and found them to be inoffensive and not rearing up towards the attacker to strike.....that is a classic Furina ploy though. The body mass vs length also seems a little to light for most Cryptophis and more Furnia like.

Having said the above it could well be a number of species and without scale counts/head shots it will be impossible to positively id, regardless of who it is. Simply put you need the head to split boschami/nigrescens, the condition of the of the subcaudals would give a good hint to the genus as well.

Having said the above....an old Furnia ornata fits pretty well.

Cheers,
Scott

I have caught a number of boschami and found them to be inoffensive and not rearing up towards the attacker to strike.....that is a classic Furina ploy though. The body mass vs length also seems a little to light for most Cryptophis and more Furnia like.

Having said the above it could well be a number of species and without scale counts/head shots it will be impossible to positively id, regardless of who it is. Simply put you need the head to split boschami/nigrescens, the condition of the of the subcaudals would give a good hint to the genus as well.

Having said the above....an old Furnia ornata fits pretty well.

Cheers,
Scott

well considering its not glossy black with a pink/red ventral surface id have my doubts its nigrescens
perhaps you mean nigrostriatus?
in which case the lack of a distinct vertebral stripe would lead me to rule out that too
and as for the furina ornata it could very well possibly be, though the reticulum around each scale tends to be more pronounced in ornata and the pic showed a distinct darkening around each scale that merged into an almost completly dark dorsal scale and a pearly white ventral surface, much more common in C boschmai
if i was to have a stab at it being a member of furina id have to say barnardi but iv never seen one in the flesh so i cant comment to much on that
I guess we will just never know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back