Hey All New Snake Owner.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

o0odjo0o

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey Peoples,
I'm new to aps and to snakes, I picked up my first Diamond Python today it is 10 months old.

So far it is going well and by it i mean i dont know the sex as the previous didnt have time to have this done or do it himself as he was selling all his snakes.

Any tips and hints from Diamond owners would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to speaking with you all.

Cheers Dan
100_0810.jpg
100_0809.jpg
100_0808.jpg

welcome to aps and you have a nice snake there. congrats.

Beautiful snake. I'm new myself with snakes, i have a Pastel Columbian Red Tail Boa.

wow a boa and thanks for the comments on the little baby. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on keeping a 52 litre click clack at 32 degrees on the warm end with a 7w heat mat but no thermostat??

Congrats and welcome,

be very careful using heat mats without thermostats, they have a history of causing burns and melting plastic and scorching timber ! i suggest getting a decent thermostat or switching to a heat cord,

ok cool where can i get a decent but reasonably priced thermostat. Also what difference is the heat cord going to do when I have no thermostat? Cheers Dan.

Hey Dan, welcome :D

Have a look at The Herp Shop - Australia for a Thermostat.

Also, use the search function at the top right of the page to bring up several threads on Diamonds.
There have been a few lately that you may find helpful.

Michelle

a heat cord is able to be 'spaced' to attain lower surface temps, if you set them up properly (allow exess heat to escape) they work a treat. heres a recent thread
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-discussion-42/thermostat-setups-145147/ that you can read through that may help you out,

and i did some digging for species specific threads and found this one http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/diamonds-145453/ which seems to contain some fairly important information if you are keeping Diamonds, (which I dont)

you could always Private message one of the posters on either of the above threads to get some more specific info

ok cool where can i get a decent but reasonably priced thermostat. Also what difference is the heat cord going to do when I have no thermostat? Cheers Dan.

If you don't know how to regulate temps without a thermostat, then don't try it with your new python. You need to test temps for a while without a thermo to ensure it won't cook your python. Temps should be correct before putting your animal in the enclosure.

Buy a thermostat for the time being at least, then go from there.

Welcome to the forum.

wow a boa and thanks for the comments on the little baby. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on keeping a 52 litre click clack at 32 degrees on the warm end with a 7w heat mat but no thermostat??

I'd just like to throw out there that Diamonds are a cooler climate snake, so it would be best to have it's hot end at 28 to help prevent any issues in the future (such as DPS).

yeah thanks all still cant find a thermostat near where i live which such because the click clack is dropping to around 19 - 20 degrees at night. I am not going to turn the heat mat on because when i tested it last night it jumped from 20 deg to nearly 33 in a matter of minutes which is rediculous considering its only a 7 watt heat mat. Not sure what to do at the moment last night i covered the enclosure with a small blanket trying to stop it getting to cold and the little one climbed under the news paper. Some pet shops are idiots telling me i could run a 7 watt heat mat on a 52 litre click clack without a thermostat ****ers they are. If any one has a cheap probe thermostat they wont to sell let me know cause i havent got a great deal of money at the moment. Thanks for the advice people it is much appreciated. I was also thinking maybe for now i could raise the enclosure of the heat mat and try it like that. Anyways Cheers Dan..

Raising the enclosure off the heat mat may work well, depending on how you raise it and how far. This should only be a temporary solution though as any heat source that gets "too hot" needs to be thermostat controlled.

Be careful with feeding - if the temps are too low it can cause serious issues. I would hold off feeding until you get the temps to an acceptable level.

yeah i agree with both of you. I havent fed it yet as i only got home yesterday afternoon. Very frustrating as i was at a pet shop with thermostats and they said i shouldnt need one. See how things go may have to wait until friday(pay day) to get one.

Raising the enclosure off the heat mat may work well, depending on how you raise it and how far. This should only be a temporary solution though as any heat source that gets "too hot" needs to be thermostat controlled.

this will work until you can get something else sorted, keep the tub level otherwise your heat will 'slip' to the high end and not heat the tub appropriately, - not to mention waterbowl spillage, put supports at the corners so heat doesn't build up, and you can also slide the heatmat out further until its at the right temp, some suggest the heat should cover 1/3 of the tub floor, i've found 1/4 works well, (with heat cord not heatmat) with only a few holes at the hot end, and 'lots of holes' at the cool end, it created a good gradient.

try the above and keep an eye on the temp, and how and where are you measuring your temp ?

I am measuring the temp with a laser heat gun by reptapet. Not sure if I want to raise it yet might just leave it until Friday and get a thermostat. Worried I am going to stress it more by doing so.

Yeah thanks kenshin. I got a starmaid click clack. The heat gun I picked up for 54.95 because it didn't have a box but it is great it measures surface temp alot better. I am ****ting myself about not having heat until Friday but I put in a extra two hides and it is hiding in between the news paper at the moment. Poor little thing. I feel bad but that's what happens when you take everyones advice.

You'll be fine in gympie for a day or two until you can sort it out :)

Read as much as you can on diamonds, they have different husbandary requirements than most carpets. Most people have difficulty in keeping them alive for their full natural life span. Male sure they have access to cool areas at all times and don't provide heating over winter. Overfeeding is another thing you have to be careful of with diamonds. My first diamond has lived outdoors without heating for most of it's life and is now 17. There aren't too many captives that get to that age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back