Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's just one example
http://www.ratsnakes.com/Eclimacophora.html
Don't get me wrong I'm not for one second saying albinos in the wild would have a survival rate anywhere near that of a wild type but they certainly do survive to adulthood.
Crystal Palace Reptiles in London apparently recently had a wild caught adult albino Ball Python.
VPI in America had several wild caught albino Blood Pythons.
Quote from Bob Clark
"In 1981, I saw a wild-caught albino Burmese python featured in a National Geographic article on animal dealers. I had to have that snake. Really, it kept me up at night for months. I knew I wanted it but I also knew that this was a desirable animal that others would like to have as well. A few months later, the snake showed up on the price list of noted reptile dealer Tom Crutchfield. Eventually, after a long, difficult period of negotiation, I was able to get the snake on a short loan. I bred the snake to a normal female and hatched a group of heterozygous offspring that became the founders of most of the albino Burmese pythons available today. In 1986, I hatched the first few albino Burmese pythons. I've said many times that this animal changed my life."
Also from Bob Clark
"The albino retic project took longer than most because the original albino, an adult male, did not acclimate quickly to captivity. This snake did not feed voluntarily for two years (to the week) from its arrival in the country! "

I should add that the Retic mentioned above was 9 feet long when found in the wild.

hey Daemo, thanks for sharing :D Some very impressive morphs you have there! Always wondered what a purple snake would look like, that plasma one is unreal hehe

Still sceptical on those examples Boa. Hardly proven. As for the rattler pic, the car must have been wearing Ugg boots.:)

If we lived over there we would all have them . Must take years of breeding to get such variety when you have to wait 2 - 3 years for each to mature . Stunning .

Sorry I can't do anything about your scepticism :) All I can do is produce the proof and let you decide from there. There have been numerous wild adult albinos caught in the wild over the years.

I have a friend who has a leucistic brown tree snake which was run over or just clipped by a car in front of him,he took it to the vet still alive however it did end up dying and now resides in a bottle preserved and was of breeding age and size etc and others have been seen in the same vicinity.The albino red belly looked to be breeding age and adult size when it was caught.Most morphs originate from the wild such as the bumblebee bhp and Blondy and don't all you purists try telling me you're playing by nature when you breed your own snakes,if you hadn't purchased those specific snakes they would most likely never have seen each other let alone bred plus most breeders try to breed the nicest looking specimens they can by chosing the best looking snakes to pair up and breed.All this purist stuff is a big load of crap,if any of you were to buy a GTP more chances than not it would not be a pure Aussie specimen let alone a pair,there's more exotic greens in the country than natives and always have been,in the hobby anyway which is all we are talking about.

If you had a geneticly proven hypomelanistic Darwin or genetically proven striped Darwin and paired it to an albino is it any different to pairing your best looking Darwins together,they all originated from wild caught animals and don't tell me that if we had carpets in all the colours we have just seen with the corns that were bred without crossing or hybridising that new comers to the hobby would choose a regular looking darwin when there's such an array of colourful specimens to choose from...that's my rant like it or lump it try tell me otherwise!!!

Not only new comers to the hobby would chose the more colourful animals ,i bet many or even the majority of you out there would love to own a pure bred animal that is as colourful as these!Just because they have fantastic colours doesn't mean they aren't pure and again it's no different than putting your best looking male jungle over your best looking female jungle to get the best looking offspring you can.Also with inbreeding do you think a brother would care if he came across his sister a few years after being born and mated with her asthey do stick to their home ranges and the chances of it happening aren't that highly unlikely!!!

If we could legally keep corns and boas, id love to have a couple. But i dont have Zoo Written on my shoulder, so i have no chance. But its nice to imagine lol

What about the amazing varients of our common green tree snakes,the colours they come in are amazing and from the wild not bred to specifically look that way...

Ive got a couple of pics of two i saw at reptile park the other week...
by the way snake pimp i totally agree with your call...
sorry about quality of photos but these guys would not stay still long enough for a perfect kodak moment......

Attachments

• 111.JPG
    111.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 49
  • 112.JPG
    112.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 114.JPG
    114.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 39
Not sure what the huge deal is when it comes to morphs, nor why they are considered 'fake' when theyre as pure corn as any normal looking one. Again its the same thing you have over there just to a bigger extent; nature hands them cards that perhaps in the wild wouldnt survive, but if the snakes not physically impared whats wrong with keeping them in captivity?

Amazon tree boas are another example; with polymorphic coloring you can find blacks, browns, greens, oranges, bright reds, bright yellows, and any combo of those in a batch of wild caught adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back