Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They like to be called little scrubbies... They find midget scrubbies a bit degrading :p

They prefer to be called dorsally-challenged scrubbies...

You are all asuming adult = size. In fact, adult = age. It may well be 5 years old and very slowly fed up. (slowly to the point of starvation) :(

that would be impossible.

I disagree with this statement. I have a 5 year old female coastal that refused most food for 4 years. With a lot of work and patience, I managed to get her feeding, eventually. I digress... Anyway, at 5 years of age, she is only just on 4 foot now and has been feeding nicely for the last year. All her growth has occured in the last 12 months and until then, she looked like a hatchling with overly large eyes.

Unlikely, yes, impossible, no.

I am not sure if 5 foot would make it an adult even if it's underfed.
Wrasse would you breed that 5 year old coastal?

Wrasse would you breed that 5 year old coastal?

I have no plans to. Even now she still looks like an Ethiopian baby, and possibly her offspring, if she ever had them, might just be problem feeders too. I don't need to breed her. She can grow old and fat and never have to worry about the kids returning to the nest to mooch off her. ;)

What line has to be crossed, for a juvy to become an adult ?

That IS a good question Wrasse. IMO which is just my opinion and others will have different idea's. I think an adult is a sexually mature snake, not just old enough to breed as some are at 18 months but one that is of decent size and age to breed without any bad effects on the female or the young. What do you or any others think??
Good debate this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back