Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reece89

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey guys n girls i was wondering:rolleyes: is their anyone on this site who owns oenpelli python i always see all of australia's other pythons on this site except for oenpelli python are they rare or something i think they are beatifull animals if anyone owns post pics please

cheers reece:D

There are very few around and i dont think they have ever been bred in captivity, a lot of their natural range is off limits due to native title. Hopefully somtime in the future some can make their way into the system, i sure hope they dont like eating toads.

The last statistics i saw said that there were 2 males "on paper" with hobbyists in NSW. But who knows how/when these guys will start popping up in the hobby. Probably won't be affordable in my lifetime though :(

Awsome snakes, got to work with them at the territory wildlife park on work experience. I love it how there silver at night and brown during the day.

hey, it says here that they have been bred in captivity http://www.smuggled.com/pr39.htm
also the territory wildlife park intends to breed them (though i heard that they only have 2 males?).
i also found a pic (google images) which suggests that Bob Clarke has at least one.

Ok I've seen a picture after I googled.. but what are they? Why they so special?

G'day guys,

The story, as I understand it, is that Peter Krauss had a pair of Oenpelli's. He bred them, and hatched out two juveniles, and then published the data he collected. Upon publication, NT Parks confiscated all of the animals as he didn't have permission to collect them. These are the animals that are/were on display in the NT (which have now been topped up with recently collected animals, at great expense, apparently).

It's a real shame that such an awesome, unknown species is virtually unknown scientifically due to politics.

Cheers

Jonno

Ok I've seen a picture after I googled.. but what are they? Why they so special?

No more special than any other animal, although they could be the largest python in Australia maybe.

I heard that NT wildlife park had troubles keeping them alive and healthy. Does anyone know if this is true?

Oh. Well that wasn't nearly as exciting as I thought it was going to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back