Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
last time i checked, white fellas drink beer! im from maori, white and aboriginal background and i wasnt offended by any of sdaji's comments.
believe it or not, beer is a great form of currency!
welcome to australia!!!
oenpelli's rock

There does not appear to be an answer in this reply....

I am fairly sure you can see the source of the inference, Aboriginal alcohol issues are no great secret....and I know you are aware that your ethnicity is no excuse or exemption from racism, so your breathalyzer story is kind of patronising.

Perhaps you are just looking for a new source of debate....which would be kind of of ironic since I only queried your racism in a personal search of debate :lol:

Goodness gracious me! Slabs of beer are traded for favours between people of all colours. It is an Australia custom, certainly not with any racial connotations. If I said "My friend helped me move house and I bought him a slab of beer to say thank you", would you assume he was aboriginal? Yes, aboriginals are prone to alcohol problems, so what? There are plenty of people in all ethnicities with alcohol issues. People have given me slabs of beer in return for favours... I never realised they were making fun of my ethnicity! :shock:

This is just ridiculous, if you think I'm racist because I suggested that someone might be persuaded to do someone a favour for a slab of beer, maybe you should run off to some island with other people who are similarly politically correct so that you can all knit jumpers out of recycled cardboard and eat cabbage together until the end of your days. Amen.

How was the breathalyzer story patronising? You must be assuming I was trying to make some point which I completely missed! :lol:

Where is that guy from WA? I'm sure he could help to lift the mood right about now! :lol:

Amen to that. Me and most of my mates pay each other in beer for help with things like moving house, moving fish tanks, moving reptile enclosures ect, and we are all sorts of ethnicity. Funny how this thread has gone from being about oenpellis to a debate about the racial implications of a slab of beer...

@ Sdaji

I am still unable to see an answer to my original question....but perhaps that is because it's friday after a long week.

I never said you were racist (my assumption is that you are quite the opposite) I was merely being pedantic and looking for clarification within a sentence that could be misinterpreted.

i wanna see the island where they knit jumpers out of recycled cardboard... that was the funniest thing ive ever heard! good one sdaji!

@ Sdaji

I am still unable to see an answer to my original question....but perhaps that is because it's friday after a long week.

I never said you were racist (my assumption is that you are quite the opposite) I was merely being pedantic and looking for clarification within a sentence that could be misinterpreted.

:lol: It's been clear from the start that you're just being silly, no need to make it that obvious ;) I think the question has been pretty comprehensively answered ;)

(go on, go on, point out again that I haven't said "No.") ;)

i wanna see the island where they knit jumpers out of recycled cardboard... that was the funniest thing ive ever heard! good one sdaji!

I was trying to work out what they'd eat, but I couldn't come up with anything neutral enough. Perhaps they could lay down with the lion and the lamb and eat straw (What were people supposed to eat when that happened?), but that's far too religious, which these days is politically incorrect. Maybe they could all just eat McDonald's "hamburgers" (disturbingly, those seem pretty PC!).

:lol: It's been clear from the start that you're just being silly, no need to make it that obvious ;) I think the question has been pretty comprehensively answered ;)

(go on, go on, point out again that I haven't said "No.") ;)

I'm more concerned that no one has appreciated my "Gibsonian slip"..../shrug I thought it was kind of clever.

ps. ZOMG! oenpelli python's are so awesome, so big....yada yada...there are none available so buy some rough scales, they have cool teeth.

Once again Sdaji it doesnt pay to have any intelligence on this site at times. Me and my mates pay in beer as well and we aren't aboriginal either. To many flammers not enough posts.
As for oenpelli, I have read they are the largest pythons in Aust. Obviously debatable. Why they aren't common in captivity???????????? Seem like an interseting enough species that herpers would want them regardless of sine, christ people keep 20-30ft retics and 18ft+ scrubbies... why not?

Once again Sdaji it doesnt pay to have any intelligence on this site at times. Me and my mates pay in beer as well and we aren't aboriginal either. To many flammers not enough posts.
As for oenpelli, I have read they are the largest pythons in Aust. Obviously debatable. Why they aren't common in captivity???????????? Seem like an interseting enough species that herpers would want them regardless of sine, christ people keep 20-30ft retics and 18ft+ scrubbies... why not?
It is easy to confuse size and length. Being referred to as the "largest" australian python does not neccessarily infer length but could be referring to the "bulk" or girth of the python. This is seem between the Anaconda and Reticulated all the time. The anaconda is classed as the largest/biggest python in the world, while the reticulated is noted as the longest. Therefore the oenpelli may be referred to as the largest but the scrubby may easily be the longest. =0)

P.S. Oenpelli rock and i can't wait till they are a regular thing in the captive herp scene.

Point taken womantor! length and weight obviously count. Cant recall is Mr Shine was refering to weight or length. Both awsome pythons but cant understand why they aren't common? Is it husbandry or availability?

It is easy to confuse size and length. Being referred to as the "largest" australian python does not neccessarily infer length but could be referring to the "bulk" or girth of the python. This is seem between the Anaconda and Reticulated all the time. The anaconda is classed as the largest/biggest python in the world, while the reticulated is noted as the longest. Therefore the oenpelli may be referred to as the largest but the scrubby may easily be the longest. =0)

P.S. Oenpelli rock and i can't wait till they are a regular thing in the captive herp scene.

Only ever seen 2 and a few pics, but the oenpelli looks like it might be a rather "thin" snake. Yes, not much of a sample to base an opinion I know.

Point taken womantor! length and weight obviously count. Cant recall is Mr Shine was refering to weight or length. Both awsome pythons but cant understand why they aren't common? Is it husbandry or availability?

They are not common in captivity as they are very rarely seen by white people and most are found in aboriginal lands. Its not as simple as just taking some from the wild these days. Need all the permits etc etc and whether its the aboriginals or the governments involved seems like they are quite happy to leave them where they are. As for the largest python, I don't think enough have been observed to be making any concrete statements. Im sure if you were to only observe a few scrubby's in the wild there's a good chance you won't see a real big one which may or may not be the case with oenpelli's.

do oenpelli's really change colour does anyone no the reason for this??

I know that there are far more people out there that have these animals then people realise and that i have viewed some animals that were captive bred in a syd collection years ago. I have also heard that a group of 10 animals had been sold recently for around $150000 mark so my thoughts are that the owners of these animals are awaiting some sort of amnesty perhaps b4 they come forward and you will find they will be available for sale but still quite high and probably around the same figure as the rough scaled pythons were originally when offered for the first time.
I cant wait till they become available although i wouldnt hold my breath for any amnesty any time soon.
Paul

I STILL don't understand the appeal of these snakes..or why a question from someone asking another to explain themselves turned into a political and racial discussion...

Well.. back to the play pen for me!

HAHA I hadn't really looked at this thread and was wondering how it was still going. Racism and slanging thats how! you have got to love this site sometimes lol - good luck wit finding answers to the questions

I heard that NT wildlife park had troubles keeping them alive and healthy. Does anyone know if this is true?

While i was doing work experience there, the only problem that they had that i know of was that they wernt the strongest feeders. Only fed on quails and very prone to bite if you get to close (they wouldnt let me feed em :cry: )

Oenpelli's are generally very docile animals. As for taking 20 individuals from the wild, this would decimate a population. These snakes are the top predators of the sandstone country and probably occur at very low frequencies. They are also very hard to find. I know of many of Kakadu's rangers who have searched for more than 13 years and never seen one. Your best chance of finding one is crossing the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back