Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klinic

Reaction score
I literally joined hear about a year ago I believe, overflowing with excitment and hoping to get my first reptile as soon as possible. However, I was cautious and waited and researched. Thank god I did because I ran in to a financial disaster a bit afterwards and wouldn't have been able to comfortably look after the creature.

Things are far more stable now (and I've planned a lot better), although I'm still only looking to actually get the snake in a few months or more. But no matter what happens, I'll be able to give this thing the quality of life it deserves.

So, this will be my first snake or herp of any kind. I've handled many snakes and lizards and even had a Boa Constrictor attempt to kill me. So I think I should be able to handle myself.

I adore big snakes, and I love predatory animals. The more likely something is to try and kill me, the more I respect it.

With that said, I want to play this kind of safe. I have been looking into getting a Coastal Carpet Python, Olive Python or Jungle Carpet Python despite my overwhelming desire to get a Scrub Python (and a saltwater crocodile, but that is for another time...)

I live with two dogs and two cats, so I do not intend to give this snake free roam of the house. It will have it's own room (shared with me as my study) which will be locked and fully secured.

Within the next month I plan to get the necessary equipment to keep the snake I know basically what to get from reading a lot, but are there any secret passed down from the generations tips that you guys could give? I think I'm really leaning towards the Jungle for their beautiful colouration.

Last edited:
hey always a good idea to research befor you get into it.
free roaming is a bad idea they can squeez into any noock and crany id be devistated if mine coiled in behind the frigde, i know of one in a warehouse that got into the forklift he didnt make it out :(
i have 2 jungles and a carpet python. if you want a big snake u need a sturdy cage his is 7kgs and has pulled heat cages of his roof twice so he now has a heat mat. just cos your door can be locked and full secured doesnt mean much i left my cage not fully closed woke up and the enclosure was open thought all good bedroom door was shut he'll be fine (7ft and 7kg snake wont go far) he squeezed under the door and was hanging on the door in the lounge room!
there isnt really any secrets as long as you know what species and its habits youll be sweet.
have fun

9ft and 10kgs of coastal that managed to smash the doors off her enclosure (ripped the hinges out of the timber...), climb up against the closed door of the room and open the old style linear handle (the type you push down to open), roam the house all night causing all manner of damage including knocking over a heap of spirits bottles, then was found spanning the gap from the ceiling fan to the curtain rod in the computer room. :lol:
8833_154004636462_660496462_3233507_6252289_n.jpg

You're much better off getting your pet a nice enclosure of reasonable size and letting it out to explore under supervision. Jungles are great snakes, you won't be dissapointed with one.

Thanks for the replies you two. I was sort of worried someone might say that it was a terrible idea for a beginner to get a Jungle.

The reason I don't want it to get out is both for the protection of my two cats and for the protection of the snake itself. At least one of my dogs has killed an adult kangaroo, I'm not too sure how the snake would fair. Although I'm sure they would only try to play with it. If it tried to defend itself things could go bad.

I'll definitely get a very strong enclosure and make sure the room is SUPER secure with no room to get under the door.

I do also intend to handle this snake a lot in order to make it feel comfortable around me. Will the Jungle adapt well to that?

lol rednut - im glad mine didnt do much damage i was very lucky cos i was handraising 2 possums at the time locked in another room lol
yeah a bite from a snake as big as ours can do some damage = 72 punctures for me (not from my snake though!)
my first snake was a jungle some can be snappy but if you handle them heaps they can be really quiet. people with jungles are very bias! :D
seriously get what you really want and you wont be disapointed.

Well, now I just need to find out how to get one. I want to get it from a very young age. I want to watch and experience it's growth. I also want to get a very healthy one, from a nice breeder preferably.

Now I need to investigate breeders. Investigations never stop!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back