Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peteman9

Reaction score
I believe I may have been bitten by a snake on the weekend.

At the time I was lying in the grass of a paddock near Seymour Vic under my hang glider. I felt a bit of pain on my thigh but ignored it as I was concentrating on keeping my glider level in the wind. The pain was sharp and minor, more annoying. I remember feeling my leg a minute later through my pants and feeling some slight bumps. In the shower that night (10hrs later) I noticed 2 blood spot sores, 20 mm apart, slightly elevated, yellow bruising around the area (I generally dont bruise). Obviously if it was a snake I wasn't envenomed as I didn't feel any ill effects.

Is it likely that I was bitten by a snake? I'm curious

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Attachments

• DSC00390.jpg
    DSC00390.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 264
Certainly looks like it, as you haven't had any ill affects I would imagine something non venomous, maybe a python of some sort at that size.

Certainly looks like it, as you haven't had any ill affects I would imagine something non venomous, maybe a python of some sort at that size.

Snake newbie, have you ever been bitten by a python
Do you know the anatomy of snakes

Pete, i would say it could be a possiblity or you sat on something that had two sharp piece sticking out
Mind you if its 20mm apart it would have to be a pretty big snake, thats a big head for the fangs to be 20mm apart
Not sure though but would like to see what others think

Snake newbie, have you ever been bitten by a python
Do you know the anatomy of snakes

Pete, i would say it could be a possiblity or you sat on something that had two sharp piece sticking out
Mind you if its 20mm apart it would have to be a pretty big snake, thats a big head for the fangs to be 20mm apart
Not sure though but would like to see what others think

Hahah i completely agree about the anotomy... you will get mis matched punctures from Pythons as they do not have "pronounced" fangs. 20mm is a decent bite. i found a RBB qith a 18mm bite, it was a big snake and it hit like a hammer, so you would know if it bit you i would think.

a pythons bite is like a an oval of just teeth marks and thats if he if he gets you with the top and bottom
Definetly a big snake and maybe some people have some stats about jaw anatomies
And yes if you got bit you would know about it not to mention seeing one cause a baby wouldnt give you a bite that big

Im now thinking you just sat on something sharp and it coincidentally had that shape

I have infact been bitten by a python yes, however as I am writing this on my iPad maybe others are seeing better images of the photos. I only know that the bites I get from my spotted python are quite literally two puncture marks about a cm apart, nothing from the bottom teeth at all.

omg thats not a spotted python it is a Suta punctata :p

does she actually bite you or just nip
when mine "bites" that means the full deal, bite hold on and coil around my hand and not letting go for 10-20 minutes. thia leaves behind a mark for every tooth she has
first of all he would of felt any kind of bite and something that was very small and pointy that he sat on may have just pricked him and as he said he felt a little bit of pain but just ignored it

I would be more suspicious it could be a bite from a spider, however not many Victorian spiders are big enough to give that sort of spacing. It sounds very far apart for a snake bite to me.

It is quite easy to be bitten by a ven and not know about it. I've met people who have even been tagged by mulgas and not noticed.

a pythons bite is like a an oval of just teeth marks and thats if he if he gets you with the top and bottom
Definetly a big snake and maybe some people have some stats about jaw anatomies
And yes if you got bit you would know about it not to mention seeing one cause a baby wouldnt give you a bite that big

Im now thinking you just sat on something sharp and it coincidentally had that shape

Nah they are angry warning snaps, she's like a semiautomatic, she'll bite you ten times in a few seconds before you even realize she bit you the first time :lol:

It is quite easy to be bitten by a ven and not know about it. I've met people who have even been tagged by mulgas and not noticed.

yeh i know you can be bitten but what classifies a bite, full fang penetration or a scrape of the skin enough to drop some venom along it
A friend of mine was envenonmated and sent to hospital from one fag scraping his knuckle, not actually penetrating it
There are some discrepancies

Nah they are angry warning snaps, she's like a semiautomatic, she'll bite you ten times in a few seconds before you even realize she bit you the first time :lol:

yeh thats what i was thinking, not really a bite just nipped, get her to bite and hold on then you will see what a "bite" looks like
easy way to do this, rub a mouse on the side of your hand or arm and see what she thinks of it

yeh i know you can be bitten but what classifies a bite, full fang penetration or a scrape of the skin enough to drop some venom along it
A friend of mine was envenonmated and sent to hospital from one fag scraping his knuckle, not actually penetrating it
There are some discrepancies

To me a bite is when something puts its mouth around something.

I would be more suspicious it could be a bite from a spider, however not many Victorian spiders are big enough to give that sort of spacing. It sounds very far apart for a snake bite to me.

really only mouse spiders would be that far apart...

my guess would be a little whip snake or white lip snake?, espicially if wasnt too many symptoms

I think you would have noticed a snake when you moved the glider , maybe 2 seprate bites from a small spider ?

cheers Nico

really only mouse spiders would be that far apart...

my guess would be a little whip snake or white lip snake?, espicially if wasnt too many symptoms

just contradicted your self there buddy, you said on mouse spiders would be that far apart then you say maybe a whip, whips have tiny heads along with white lips :p

just contradicted your self there buddy, you said on mouse spiders would be that far apart then you say maybe a whip, whips have tiny heads along with white lips :p
yeah but i didnt say mousies were there, was just answering his question :p
wolf spiders, huntsmans and maybe trappies there

plus i only said lil whip and white lip coz they would be the only snakes round melbournish that dont kill you (not too sure they are found in seymour though)
maybe its a bat :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back