Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly You would have to say it is definitely not a python bite

Secondly 90% of bites from Aussie snakes are dry bites
That means no venom was injected
Knew you were too big to eat and was just telling you to go away

Plenty of decent size brownies could have a gape that width

Absolutely agree with wairakusi that lots of snakes are not felt

Tigers are known for dry bites and they are found in and around Seymour,
they have wide heads and 20ml gap wouldnt be unusual.
Could have been a tiger letting you know he was there.
Youll never know now though i think.

id say given that it is that far apart and the two holes like they are, as well as your not sick (or dead, i would say if it was a king brown that is fairly common in Victoria and you left it this long you would be pretty sick or worse) it is most likely a spider bite and by spider i mean a huntsman spider or even a large wolf spider. these are the only two spiders in Victoria that are large enough and non-venomous.

however i am slightly concerned why your asking for medical advice from a forum and not a emergency ward?

Did he ask for medical advice? Pretty sure he was just wondering what may have made a bite of that type, horse has probably bolted at this point as far as going to the emergency department!

id say given that it is that far apart and the two holes like they are, as well as your not sick (or dead, i would say if it was a king brown that is fairly common in Victoria and you left it this long you would be pretty sick or worse) it is most likely a spider bite and by spider i mean a huntsman spider or even a large wolf spider. these are the only two spiders in Victoria that are large enough and non-venomous.

however i am slightly concerned why your asking for medical advice from a forum and not a emergency ward?

the op said he had no ill effects

the op said he had no ill effects

yea, but do you have a sever car crash and manage to get out of the car with no cuts and go home thinking youll be fine? thats how people die from internal bleeding and trauma.

if he had envenomated by a tiger black or brown he would certainly have known about it within a fairly short time span

As there were zero effects he is now asking what it could have been

Very different to any severe car crash

Just had a thought, another thing that would be close to 2cm apart is the prongs on a single twist of barbed wire, something which would be fairly common laying around in many paddocks, given there is some bruising it occurs to me that maybe its more likely to be something a bit more blunt, snakes teeth are pretty sharp and I would think that other than being due to venom? it would be unlikely for themt cause bruising like that from a simple bite(as opposed to a chomp and chew) A good whack on to the ground which happened to connect with some barbed wire opn the other hand could certainly cause a puncture as wel as a bruise.

um peteman9 asked the question a few hours ago then nothing... hope it was just barbed wire and not a delayed reaction to something a bit nastier..

Snake saliva can cause bruising that you wouldn't expect from a normal puncture wound. I used to notice it alot with carpet and BTS bites. I would bruise and swell up significantly.

Just had a thought, another thing that would be close to 2cm apart is the prongs on a single twist of barbed wire, something which would be fairly common laying around in many paddocks, given there is some bruising it occurs to me that maybe its more likely to be something a bit more blunt, snakes teeth are pretty sharp and I would think that other than being due to venom? it would be unlikely for themt cause bruising like that from a simple bite(as opposed to a chomp and chew) A good whack on to the ground which happened to connect with some barbed wire opn the other hand could certainly cause a puncture as wel as a bruise.

Interesting waruikazi, ive never bruised but i would imagine it would depend on the snake itself and also how reactive you were persopnally to the saliva.

there are bigger non venomous spiders in vic than wolfies and huntsmans ;).
it would not of been a wolf spider coz the only ones there are lycosid godeffroyi and they dont get big, 6cm max...
and it could be a huntsman but do doubt it, would be badge huntsmans and social huntsmans there, could of been a larger one of each but they still cause nausea etc

Interesting waruikazi, ive never bruised but i would imagine it would depend on the snake itself and also how reactive you were persopnally to the saliva.

Personally, I am extremely sensitive to it. If one of my pythons drops a rat and I pick it up and get the saliva on me, I get a red spot on my skin and it itches slightly. You can imagine what a bite does to me. It burns, itches, stings and throbs all at once. Not to mention the swelling lol, and they tend to scar for about 3 months before fading. As for bruising, it depends on where they get me.
I have been bitten by spotted pythons, darwins and a scrubby.

Snake saliva can cause bruising that you wouldn't expect from a normal puncture wound. I used to notice it alot with carpet and BTS bites. I would bruise and swell up significantly.

Certainly a valid consideration. I have also experienced significant bruising from larger python bites, I always chalked it up to force. I had a water python that would launch hersef, full bodied, into her strikes and it always bruised. Also have a few adult jungles that tend to leave bruises and localized swelling when they get ya, but again, they strike hard enough to rip the tail off an adult rat.

As far as the OP goes, could be a dry elapid bite, just as likely though to be a two pronged pointy stick wound. :)

If it was a snake it was an elapid as you only have two puncture marks. As Specks astutely pointed out, a snake with that distance between its fangs is going to be a reasonable size. The width of the head would be at least 25mm wide or 1 inch in the old measure measurements. So Death Adders aside, you are looking at something between 40cm and 1m in length. It would be an abnormally large whip snake to have a bite of that width, so I think to you discount that, although the bite from a whip can produce the symptoms described. Basically you are left with your dangerously venomous elapids as possible culprits.

As GeckoPhotographer pointed out, it is not a spider – the fangs of spiders are relatively close together and there are none in Victoria large enough to achieve the separation of those punctures.

Another possibility is a large centipede. They do produce a painful bite that subsides after a few minutes. Given you were bitten through clothing, the effects of the bite would have been ameliorated. Carefully check the puncture wounds. If they are directed down but towards each other, then that would confirm it was a centipede. The fangs are sharp tipped but become very thick, very quickly, in contrast to the needle like fangs of an elapid. This, combined with the strong muscle that pulls then together so they enter the flesh, causes a pincer like effect on the intervening tissue. So mild bruising, particularly between the puncture marks, is usual. The fact that there were raised lumps indicates that you were injected with venom and your body is developing a localised reaction to that. Again, this is more typical of a centipede bite than a snake bite.

Blue

Certainly a valid consideration. I have also experienced significant bruising from larger python bites, I always chalked it up to force. I had a water python that would launch hersef, full bodied, into her strikes and it always bruised. Also have a few adult jungles that tend to leave bruises and localized swelling when they get ya, but again, they strike hard enough to rip the tail off an adult rat.

As far as the OP goes, could be a dry elapid bite, just as likely though to be a two pronged pointy stick wound. :)

Like this...This was the day after a bite. The following day it went very black and didn't start to fade for a week..
019.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back