Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another possibility is a large centipede. They do produce a painful bite that subsides after a few minutes. Given you were bitten through clothing, the effects of the bite would have been ameliorated. Carefully check the puncture wounds. If they are directed down but towards each other, then that would confirm it was a centipede. The fangs are sharp tipped but become very thick, very quickly, in contrast to the needle like fangs of an elapid. This, combined with the strong muscle that pulls then together so they enter the flesh, causes a pincer like effect on the intervening tissue. So mild bruising, particularly between the puncture marks, is usual. The fact that there were raised lumps indicates that you were injected with venom and your body is developing a localised reaction to that. Again, this is more typical of a centipede bite than a snake bite.

Blue

it will not be a centipede mate.
only pedes in seymour are cormocephalus aurantiipes (110mm) and cormocephalus esulcatus (70mm). they will not have big enough fangs and if so they would hurt so much, a bite from an average size pede burns for a week.
only pede that could produce 2cm gap are larger ethmostigmus rubripes in NQLD

A centipede would leave a track, too, wouldn't it? Or not necessarily? My mother was stung/bitten by a centipede and she had a track of inflammation from her wrist to elbow.

Like this...This was the day after a bite. The following day it went very black and didn't start to fade for a week..
019.jpg

Wow
do you get that from most bites ?

From feed bites you would, specially from a snake this big, and he is only 8ft. This was a feed bite and boy does he have a strong pair of clamps :D He got my opposite hand too so the back of my hand had a lump that looked like those you see on cartoons when they bump their heads, and the back of my hand was black, too but not as dark as this one.

it will not be a centipede mate.
only pedes in seymour are cormocephalus aurantiipes (110mm) and cormocephalus esulcatus (70mm). they will not have big enough fangs and if so they would hurt so much, a bite from an average size pede burns for a week.
only pede that could produce 2cm gap are larger ethmostigmus rubripes in NQLD
Please do not call me “mate”.

It is my understanding that Scolopendra moristans is well established through Victoria. I disagree that only E. rubripes is large enough to deliver that bite. A large specimen of S. moristans would be capable of opening its jaws to that extent. Irrespective, an examination of the wound would quickly give a definitive answer. I will say that from what I can see in the photo it does not look like a centipede bite but I cannot be sure.

What the OP has not said, and is critical to determining the potential source of the punctures, is the orientation of the bite sight in relation to the ground and how soon after him landing there did it happen. Was it underneath and in contact with the ground? Was it just above ground? Or was it significant distance from the ground? For example, if it happened where his leg was contacting the ground, then plant thorns are the most likely explanation. Also, if he had been in that spot for 5 or 10 seconds or more, then it is highly unlikely to be a snake. The movement and noise would frighten it off. He would virtually have had to land on top of it.

I am assuming he felt only one lot of pain, such that both punctures occurred simultaneously. Even though wasps do not normally leave a puncture wound, I would otherwise consider this an outside possibility. I discounted Bull Ants for a similar reason – you’d need two, simultaneously stinging at the same time and only once. They normally bite first to get a good purchase and then proceed with multiple stings.

Blue

Please do not call me “mate”.

It is my understanding that Scolopendra moristans is well established through Victoria. I disagree that only E. rubripes is large enough to deliver that bite. A large specimen of S. moristans would be capable of opening its jaws to that extent. Irrespective, an examination of the wound would quickly give a definitive answer. I will say that from what I can see in the photo it does not look like a centipede bite but I cannot be sure.

What the OP has not said, and is critical to determining the potential source of the punctures, is the orientation of the bite sight in relation to the ground and how soon after him landing there did it happen. Was it underneath and in contact with the ground? Was it just above ground? Or was it significant distance from the ground? For example, if it happened where his leg was contacting the ground, then plant thorns are the most likely explanation. Also, if he had been in that spot for 5 or 10 seconds or more, then it is highly unlikely to be a snake. The movement and noise would frighten it off. He would virtually have had to land on top of it.

I am assuming he felt only one lot of pain, such that both punctures occurred simultaneously. Even though wasps do not normally leave a puncture wound, I would otherwise consider this an outside possibility. I discounted Bull Ants for a similar reason – you’d need two, simultaneously stinging at the same time and only once. They normally bite first to get a good purchase and then proceed with multiple stings.

Blue

only only morsitans are in NW vic in the mallee... ;) and they too only reach a maximum of 115mm.
so no populations around where he is ;) , like i said, only cormocephalus aurantiipes and cormocephalus esulcatus are widespread through victoria. (also ive been finding some cormocephalus turneri specimens which were only recorded in the mallee aswell so thats weird)
morsitans vary HEAPS (so do rubripes) in australia and i estimate there to be about 200 forms (most of those in WA)
average size for them is about 90mm.
the ones that could attain a 2cm gap bite would probably be some around Cqld, biggest ive seen/have (3 forms), all 16cm in length.
never seen or heard of any bigger morsitans in australia :)

and although everyone reacts differently to invert bites ive never heard of anyone saying that pede bites are not painful for a long time , most people say they burn like hell for over a week - thats just with average 100mm specimens

Last edited:
I wasnt having a go, geez touchie much. I was just saying that given he didnt even start the thread until well after any negative effects were likely to have been experienced its much more likely that he started the thread git a coupe of responses and then wandered off into the ether of the interwebs never to be seen again. Of course i wasnt wishiong any ill on him.

I wasnt having a go, geez touchie much. I was just saying that given he didnt even start the thread until well after any negative effects were likely to have been experienced its much more likely that he started the thread git a coupe of responses and then wandered off into the ether of the interwebs never to be seen again. Of course i wasnt wishiong any ill on him.

haha fair enough :p

this is the picture of my hand after boa, it's really near look like spider bites...
i had expedition few years ago and i suffered that horrible bite in the middle of jungle without any medical help, just my supplies.

ADDER BITE.JPG.display.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back