Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaNnY

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new too the snake keeping world, although i do have a class one repile keepers licence as i have kept other reptiles,i have been told to stick to either a Coastal carpet python or a childrens python as a beginner snake. Two heating options have been recomended to me first to have a heat matt which will lift the ambient temprature by 10oC on one side of the enclosure secondly to use a Halogen downlight in one corner, i am seeking to find which is the best option? or if i should use both in conjunction with eachother, or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Look forward to hearing from you,
Kind Regards
Emmanuel :?:

I wouldn't choose a Coastal for your first snake. They can be a bit snappy.The Childrens is a common choice for beginners but I would also suggest you think about an Inland (Murray Darling) Python. They are more docile than Coastals( You Coastal owners know it's true so don't try to defend them).
The heating issue is always contentious.If the snake you get is a hatchling or very young snake then a heat mat can and will suffice. I fit's a larger snake then I suugest you look at some sort of spot type setup whether it be just an incandescent globe or spotlight or even a ceramic heat emitter.The choice is yours really. It's a better option for a larger snake so they can bask and warm to their required level of comfort. Having said that the enclosure needs a bit of a temperature gradient so the snake can control it's temperature meaning the heat would be up one end and it would have a cooler end at the other.

Well, I have to defend the coastals...my little girl has a beautiful calm, sweet disposition, and I'm sure you will find many others who will say similar things about Coastals.

As for heating, I will agree with Greg, a citter cage and heatmat will do nicely, or a radient heat source for a larger animal.

Oh, and I almost forgot, Welcome Manny!

Welcome to APS MaNnY!

I agree with everything Greg has said except the coastal bit.I feel they are also a docile species...

coastals make awsome beginner snakes, might be snappy as juvies but hey what species isnt?....only draw back is they get pretty big so childrens, macs or stimmys are usually the norm.

but IMHO, COASTALS RULE!!!!!

Cheers
STP
Leader of the Love the Glove Party

All coastals are snappy?
Thats like saying all cops are crooked......maybe that's a bad example.
I have a few coastals and they are all docile and easily handled.
Don't worry about how big they eventually get ,by the time they are that big you will know what you are doing.
A lot of beginners buy childrens first as they are smaller only to end up wishing they had of bought a carpet instead.
My advice is to think it over carefully....i would recommend any of the carpets (except maybe diamonds which need a little more care).
Bredli's are nice snakes too...eh afro?

Oh Yeah Baby, Bredli are beauties, especially those bought at auction eh Greebs :)
My Bredl's are very docile usually and my coastals are psycho but individual snakes are individual snakes, I have seen some very docile coastals.
Yours are docile eh STP? What's that mark on ya forehead then :) lol

As a beginer like you I can only give you the benefit of my limited experience. My first snake is a coastal, and I have had no trouble with her being snappy or anything. I have no interaction with the other snakes, so cant speak on them, but coastals are great. Welcome aboard
Moses

Hi Manny and welcome as well.

Coastals...ones I have seen are a bit snappy but others have good ones.
Murray Darlings and Bredls are fantastic (haven't met one I haven't likes) also Childrens are good but not as impressed.....as for the snake you want...what do you wanna pay and what do you like, contrasting colours/reds vs greys and blacks, what size do you want it to end up at?

Many questions so many answers.
I suggest that you look at the members galleries and find a snaker that YOU like the looks of and then ask if that particular snake is a good choice.

Cheers Hawkeye

:p Welcome to aps manny,my 1st snake were childreni hatchlings i was scared theyed brake when i handled them they were so small,one was as snappy as hell(hence name snappy)the other totally opposite(named tom after tom sawyer)also i now have a yearling coastal thats as placid as a lamb.If you want a small snake i would go with maccies or stimmis as they seem to be better looking imho,larger snakes it depends on your budget i would recomend carpets in generall.I have found diamonds to be very good beginners snakes but ive been lucky i only had 1 snappy snake & that was an adult water. :p

My first snake is a Coastal x Jungle, and I've never had a problem with him.... He's never snapped or hissed....

However, I have seen some rather psychotic coastals. I think it's just a personality thing. Some people are aggressive, some aren't. Luck of the draw I guess.... That's a good reason to see the snake before you purchase it.

lol afric, it didnt bite me on the head, only tried to, and i cant blame the poor bugger wouldnt you bite out if you saw my head coming at ya...also had a rat in the other hand :)

cheers
STP
Leader of the Love the Glove Party

Welcome MaNnY,
there are plenty of us newies around, so don't worry!! And good luck in your choice of snake!

Steve: are you saying that your head looks like a rat??? :lol:

I hear ya steve,
As I have pretty blunt teeth I decided against biting ya and figured I'd torture you with my driving instead.
(hence you got to endure a 4wd experience over the sydney harbour bridge,cross country gutter hopping in a 2wd car) lol :lol: :lol:

My coastals are placid as too, whereas one of my stimmies is psycho. Also have a friend with a bredli that will throw herself at you if you open the cage. IMO coastals are no snappier than any other snake (there is a few exceptions, diamonds see to be very placid,) just that there is so many more of them out there that there is more snappy ones in number, not in proportion. What I'm saying is that I know of about 25 coastals, of which three are snappy. I only know of about 9 Bredli, one is psycho and one is snappy. Of the 7 or so Olives I am aquainted with, one of them almost cannot be handled and one is snappy. And olive's are known as the gentle giants.
Personally, I reccomend that for your first snake, you get the snake that you want, even if it be a BHP or olive. My theory is, if you want a BHP, but get a mac as your first snake, after 2 years when you get the BHP, what happens to the mac? You either sell it, or keep it but don't really want it. Snakes are not hard to keep, I see no reason to buy a cheepie as your first.
Sorry Emmanuel, not answering your question real well am I? I would reccomend that whatever source of heating you use, use a thermostat as well. My hatchies go on a heat matt in a plastic tub. My larger snakes get radiant heat panels - expensive but great.

Is there any particular reson no-one's mentioned diamond pythons? My first snake was a diamond, and I never had any troubles. They're not at all snappy, are ferocious feeders and can come in a variety of different colours and patterns.I'd chose a diamond over a coastal or a childreni any day. (MHO) :)
Unless our newbie friend in question lives in a part of Australia that has temp extremes, where a it'd be more of a problem to keep the animal's optimal temperature, why not choose a diamond?
Sorry if someone's already mentioned this, I may have just read over you. :roll:

if buy a hatchie and handle it a bit it should be fine no matter what sort you get
but if you get a hatchie and dont handle it for 2yrs then it will most likely be snappy

i have 3 coastals 2 are fine and you can do anything with them and one has bad hair days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back