Taking your herps for a 'walk'

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n3xia

Reaction score
Wasn't sure what to search for to find topics related to this, so here goes. I've never really taken my snakes outside, let them climb trees etc. At least, not without them still firmly gripping my hand/arm. I once put my children's python on the lawn and he shot straight up the nearest palm tree (a few metres away) and I had to quickly grab him before he got too high for me to reach. Similarly, I don't let my snakes slither around my loungeroom and stuff by themselves. I have recliner couches and my children's python disappeared into one of them once and it took my friend a while to get him out. I'm a little scared that my snakes might get tangled in the metal parts of the recliners or other furniture and make it difficult for me to get them out without hurting them.

But I've seen quite a few photos around here of people's snakes, lizards etc on trees, furniture etc by themselves. You guys seem to have a lot of confidence in your snakes to not disappear or get tangled! Care to share your secrets?

It's not that hard to run down a snake on the back lawn in a fenced in backyard...

I let my bredli's out on the lawn but I'm always right beside them and they are never in any great rush to "run" away but I would never do this with my jungles because they would be gone in a flash.

We walk our snakes on the lawn all the time. Never lost one! Ours are too busy checking everything out that they don't even try to get away.

if you put big carpet pythons out near the clothsline long enough, indian minors might swoop and the snakes instinct will kick in.

I "exercise" my woma on the grass or on the drive way, but then he is useless at climbing and only slightly faster than a tortoise. :) My new little hatchy I let him slither around in the house. The key is to supervise. I have my eye on him at all times and have a few spare hides, I put on the floor with him. Most the time when he has had enough, he curls up in one of those hides. I also put some obstacles on the ground with them such as some fake rock and tree branches. Most the time they are too busy climbing and exploring on those to go too far.

All my snakes and lixards come out on the lawn with me :D I let them slither wherever they want to, I'm always right next to them though! There is a nice little area where my mum planted Hollihock Trees (I think that's what they are called :?) and I let me snakes climb on those as they aren't high and I can easil reach them at all times. I do let them, ocassionally climb along a tree branch but I never let them climb vertically up. My beardie won't move unless he knows I'll follow him. He gets scared if I move away from him....he folllows me around :D I guess he loves me? :p

The only reptile I won't let out is my baby beardie. She's too small and too fast for me to catch! I don't know what I would do if I lost sight of her or a bird got her :( She stays inside with me ;)

As everyone else has said they are too busy exploring their surroundings to shoot off

i think if we did not take our big girl out for grass time she would blow up like a big fat sausage full of poop, coz she always witholds her load till on the grass then lets go with 3 nice big deposits for the birds to play with, don't think she likes being in the enclosure with her poop (don't blame her lol).......................................................Ron

The other day I had my 6' carpet and 2' spotted out at the same time on a reasonably-sized lawn. I popped them in the middle (a few metres apart) and, whenever one was approaching the fence line or trees, I'd move it back to the middle of the lawn again. I was kept busy but only strolling back and forth, not running. I must say that the spotted is a lot faster than the carpet, though!

My stimmy get's a "walk" once a week or so - weather depending. Nice warm sunny days are just what he likes. I have a sutiable area of concrete and grass where he can slide around without any dramas. The only thing I'm wary of are the wild snakes we have around - and we have a LOT - and the resident kookaburras, who seem to think he's something they might like to try and eat - he's too big for them, but they seem interested in trying anyway. Aside from that - no worries at all.

he's too big for them, but they seem interested in trying anyway.

Judging by some of the images that come up in a Google search, a stimmie would make a nice meal for an adult kooka. I like to take my stimmie out for a wriggle outside but never when I can hear kookaburras in the area.

Judging by some of the images that come up in a Google search, a stimmie would make a nice meal for an adult kooka.

Yeah, mine is just under a metre long, so it'd have to be a BIG kooka, but you're right. If they are around, I'm very very cautious. No point taking chances.

Yeah, mine is just under a metre long, so it'd have to be a BIG kooka, but you're right. If they are around, I'm very very cautious. No point taking chances.
i was walking in my backyard once (4 acres) and a kookaburra flew down and snatched a 1.2m tree snake. Nothing's to big for kookaburras to have a go at, at my place.

i was walking in my backyard once (4 acres) and a kookaburra flew down and snatched a 1.2m tree snake. Nothing's to big for kookaburras to have a go at, at my place.

Damn, that's a mega Kooka! :eek: They are pretty bold too. They used to fly down and pinch food, while I was cooking it on the BBQ. So I guess the message is - it pays to be careful if you have snakes like Antaresias outside, and also have Kookaburras living nearby.

I take all 5 of my snakes out to the front yard at least once a week each. I just sit down and they usually just do circles and explore. If they do start going some where i don't want them, i just pick them up and move them back to the centre of my grass. Id really like to build a pit for them though so i can chuck them in leave for a while, usually i enjoy sitting and watching them but occasionally i have to leave, so i have to catch them all and take them back inside.

They love getting out, all of them prefer pooping outside as well which is fine with me. I have no doubt the fresh air, natural sun light and open spaces is good for them.

The neighbours were well used to seeing me "walking"the Olive up the nature strip .I would walk beside her ,she would go about 4 houses up sh-- on their lawn and we would wander home .I met the guy one day where the Olive used his front yard as a toilet and he was telling me about these big turds on his lawn .Thought it was a dog and was going to kick its a-- if he ever saw it .When he realised it was the Olive he almost peed himself from laughing .Could not believe a large snake would actually go for a walk . And for the non - believers this snake also had her own bedroom and slept in a heated babies cot .

I'd just like to say a MEGA thankyou to everyone on this thread.

I've always wanted to take my Bredli out, but never had the courage to (overbearing mother syndrome haha)...
After browsing this thread this morning, I've just taken him outside , and yeah thankyou so much guys it was fun to watch him slither (super slowly) around and get some decent sun! Such an experience for me too... Especially when the neighbour interrupted to ask if I'd lost something (obviously I was hovering and looking at the grass) then saw my snake and kinda freaked so had to explain I was "walking" my snake... he ended up coming over and having a hold though so kudos to him :).

Suffice to say I've learnt (again) today and will be doing it more!

... he ended up coming over and having a hold though so kudos to him :).

And kudos to you for "promoting" snakes as something other than evil horrid things. I've had the same experience, when people who hate snakes experience mine, they often change their tune. Great stuff!!!!!!:D

And kudos to you for "promoting" snakes as something other than evil horrid things. I've had the same experience, when people who hate snakes experience mine, they often change their tune. Great stuff!!!!!!:D

Haha cheers :) it's amazing how often that happens! People are all scared/hate them.. then they realise they're not as bad as they were taught lol :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back