Trouble regulating heat in Wooden terranium

Discussion in 'Herp Help' started by Newbydragons, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Newbydragons

Newbydragons New Member

I have a Pygmy dragon in a pine wooden terranium with glass front which I got my son for Christmas. It is a 90cm(L) x 45cm(D) x 51cm(H). I am having trouble regulating the temperature with the heat white basking light. I have gone from a 75W bulb to a 50w and the temps where the thermostat should be soar up to 38-40degrees Celsius by then he middle of the day and I end up manually switching off the heat lamp. The temp at that point of the tank according to all I have read should be 32-34 degrees. I tried using an Eco Tech Advanced Reptile Thermostat with electronic dimming, timer and day/night function. All was working well yesterday when I set it up. This morning the heat lamp will not turn on through the unit but checking the lamp through a normal power source works fine. Reading further on these eco tech thermostats I see these are prone to failure and have caused fires. Any recommendations on what I should do? Should I drop the wattage of the heat lamp to 25W and forget the thermostat; or is there a different type of thermostat I should be looking at?

2. pinefamily

pinefamily Subscriber Subscriber

Where are you in Australia? A photo of your set up will help us to give advice.
    Without knowing your location or your set up, I would have thought 75W would give you the right temps. How are you measuring the temp?

Bl69aze likes this.
  3. dragonlover1

dragonlover1 Subscriber Subscriber

Gidday mate ,first off dump the thermo and buy a timer,actually buy 2,1 for the heat lamp & 1 for the UV. 12-14 hours for the UV depending on time of year.
    38-40 is fine for the basking spot,Pygmies will take up to 42C.
    I have my heat lamps set up to run about 10 hours minus a siesta which is adjusted to the days temps,if it is say 35C I give them a 2 hour siesta,if it's 40C a 3 hour,
    over 40C the heat goes off from about 1PM and stays off.Some days they get no heat at all,just UV.

pinefamily and Aussiepride83 like this.
  4. Aussiepride83

Aussiepride83 Well-Known Member

+1 for timers over thermostats. I use timers on my heat supply and aircon in the reptile room. The only thermostat in my entire setup is on my 2 egg incubators.

dragonlover1 likes this.
  5. Bl69aze

Bl69aze Well-Known Member

I believe the thermostat he’s using has 2 plug system, 1 for heat items, 1 for lights (or both if you use an doubl adaptor, I guess) both can run on timers using settings :)

6. dragonlover1

dragonlover1 Subscriber Subscriber

I think most thermo's have the 2 outlets you mention,but the OP asked for opinions,and this is mine plus many other people I talk to on this and other forums,get rid of thermo's and use timers.I only have thermo's on incubatators.

Aussiepride83 and pinefamily like this.
  7. pinefamily

pinefamily Subscriber Subscriber

If you get the temps right, you don't need thermostats, especially with lizards.