What type of Gecko??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ittybitty

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered before guys, but I done a few searches, and came up with everything but what I was looking for. So if you can point me in the right direction I wont bother you any more, but I will ask my question anyway just in case....

I have always loved Gecko's but never bothered to get any because Ive always been told they are too hard to look after, you cant hold them yada yada yada...

Anyways, Ive been doing alot of reading about them, and it really doesnt seem too hard to maintain their setup once it is correctly put together. The only thing I havent found during my reading is which Geckos would be best suited to a first timer like myself?

I dont have any issues with providing them the care they need, I have a 3ft glass enclosure that I will be using, just needs to be fully set up. Which I will do over the next couple of weeks, i already have all the necessities. Im not in any rush to run out and buy the first gecko i see as I want to get it all right the first go, and go with something that is ok for a first time owner..

Thanks heaps, and again sorry if this has already been covered..

Knobbies, easy to care for and fun to watch hunt. They also have some great colours.

knob tailed geckos, thick taileds, bynoes and some abroreal geckos (oedura) are great and easy geckos to keep for begginers.
towards the end of the year there will be heaps of hatchies for sale so get ready :)
once you get one gecko, its hard to stop :shock:

Gecks are dead easy. What would you like, an aboreal or terrestrial gecko? For aboreal, marbled (Christinus) and Velvet (Oedura) species are good choices. For terrestrial its hard to beat Knobtail and Thicktail geckos. You could also get some Bynoes or Helmeted gecks.

if your a begginer i would go for a terrestial Gecko like N.levis N.milli N.asper and some of the other nephurus.

Thanks for all your replies and help, really appreciated... I dont mind not being able to handle them, Im aware they are really a 'look only' type of pet.

Are they an active creature? or do they tend to hide alot?

agreed.
The golden tail is a gorgeous species.

knobtail geckos are gorgeous also but are really only out at night time. If this does not bother you then they are awesome!

I think for a 3 ft enclosure go for Neph. amyae, though they are largely nocturnal l find that mine are not shy and sit out and watch me during the day. They are easy as to keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back