Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whyme

Reaction score
found this little guy on the way to coober. Pretty sure its a little whip. Anyone think different

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 536
Not a whip could be a shovel nose snake in the brachyurophis genus or some kind of simoselaps. Hard to tell without a location. Ur a knob for picking it up without knowing what it is!

Actually i recon that is a curl snake, suta suta they will knock you around pretty hardcore if you get bitten.

lol def not a whip snake, but these little elapids can be hard to tell,should of counted the scales mid body but id say it is in the Parasuta genus of hooded snakes

Im thinking Curl Snake (Suta suta), Deffinatly shouldn't pick up stuff that you dont even have a clue what it is.
Thanks Tim.

lol def not a whip snake, but these little elapids can be hard to tell,should of counted the scales mid body but id say it is in the Parasuta genus of hooded snakes

Could definately be on the money there. I hope some of the small elapid guys can chime in.

Im thinking Curl Snake (Suta suta), Deffinatly shouldn't pick up stuff that you dont even have a clue what it is.
Thanks Tim.

At first glance it did look a bit that way, but i don't think it is now. It doesn't have a black strike through its eye.

Its definately not a Curl Snake, it looks like a Little Whip Snake parasuta flagellum.

Actually i recon that is a curl snake, suta suta they will knock you around pretty hardcore if you get bitten.

people always say that, I was bitten by a curl snake out west at lightning ridge a year or so ago, I didnt have any ill effects at all, not even swelling. maybe it did not inject venom, at the time I went by an outdated field guide which said mildy venomous.

yea parasuta spectabilis if its located in south australia ,depending on where exact location,intersting note is they are listed as vulnerable
similar area you would find Parasuta flagellum which is very similar
but out of those two its the craem ventrals and what looks like a white upperlip and mark in front of eye which makes me think P.spectabillis

It's one of the Little Whip Snakes( Unechis or Parasuta )....not to be confused with the Demansia Whip snakes.

Pretty game picking it up and holding it like this if you are unsure what it was...they do look quite similar to baby Eastern Brown Snakes!!! There was also someone killed by one of these little snakes a couple of years ago although I believe it was due to an allergic reaction.

thanks for all the replies. Found about 3hrs south of coober. head pattern, snout etc, different to a mulga or eastern and def. not a tai. Probably should not have picked it up,but,...........,

just to clarify. Been picking critters up for 30 odd years. Not that I'm old;) Saratoga, jase 75 and snake pimp, all on the money. It's a little whip. Sorry for not giving a better pinpoint on the locale. Should i put pics up of the adders we found? ..............Just kidding!

yes Unechis(mcoy,1878) has at some stage been reclassified as Parasuta, and flagellum and spectabilis are very similar probably subspecies rather than seperate species.
common name is the little whip snake for P. flagellam
well we learn a new thing everyday,in the herp world especialy with elapids we have 90 species,i love Australia

Snake pimp. I love australia too. Where else can you find tais, blue ringed octo's, funnelwebs, box jellies, spikey things called echidna's and stuff like that. Get out there and see it everyone!

Snake pimp. I love australia too. Where else can you find tais, blue ringed octo's, funnelwebs, box jellies, spikey things called echidna's and stuff like that. Get out there and see it everyone!

Don't forget crocodiles and stone fish!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back