Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good work on the ID Whyme, indeed it is a little whip snake, but not a little Demansia, which are whip snakes ;) Common names are pretty useless in herpetology, hence why we sound like latin/greek dorks half the time :)

And to ACROCHORDUS, your exactly right. You shouldnt touch anything if you don't know what it is. Stupid clowns like me put pic's up of us handling interesting things out there without speaking of the dangers assocciated. Good on ya for having your wits about ya! Best bet is to look but don't touch!........AND TAKE A CAMERA!:D

Good work on the ID Whyme, indeed it is a little whip snake, but not a little Demansia, which are whip snakes ;) Common names are pretty useless in herpetology, hence why we sound like latin/greek dorks half the time :)
Ha HA. I married a greek dork................................. OOps. But I luv her. HEE HEE

people always say that, I was bitten by a curl snake out west at lightning ridge a year or so ago, I didnt have any ill effects at all, not even swelling. maybe it did not inject venom, at the time I went by an outdated field guide which said mildy venomous.

Most of the field guides still state this. In the last few years we have looked at the venoms of some of the smaller elapid species, often with suprising results. Suta suta venom had both neurotoxic and myotoxic components.

We had a member of our team get bitten in the field by a Suta suta of about 30 cm long. A few hours later he collapsed, suffered paralysis and difficulty breathing and had to be taken to hospital, where he was treated with poly. Incredible to see how dramatically this blokes condition went sour.

All the best

Pretty game picking it up and holding it like this if you are unsure what it was...they do look quite similar to baby Eastern Brown Snakes!!! There was also someone killed by one of these little snakes a couple of years ago although I believe it was due to an allergic reaction.

Allergic reactions are not uncommon for whip snake bites. In addition to they guy that died I know of another well known herper that did hospital time as a result of a whip snake bite.

Found this.. For those who were unsure about the venom of this snake... Thought you might be interested..

WCH Clinical Toxinology Resources
Did you read the article or just look at the little graphic at the top. Basically they don't know squat about the venom, lol.

WCH website said:
Venom General: Venom Neurotoxins
Unknown
General: Venom Myotoxins
Unknown
General: Venom Procoagulants
Unknown
General: Venom Anticoagulants
Unknown
General: Venom Haemorrhagins
Unknown
General: Venom Nephrotoxins
Unknown
General: Venom Cardiotoxins
Unknown
General: Venom Necrotoxins
Unknown
General: Venom Other
Unknown
Back to top Clinical Effects General: Dangerousness
Unknown, but unlikely to cause significant envenoming, most unlikely to be dangerous.
General: Rate of Envenoming: Unknown but likely to be low General: Untreated Lethality Rate: Unlikely to prove lethal General: Local Effects
Local pain & swelling
General: Local Necrosis
Insufficient clinical reports to know
General: General Systemic Effects
General: Neurotoxic Paralysis
General: Myotoxicity
General: Coagulopathy & Haemorrhages
General: Renal Damage
General: Cardiotoxicity
General: Other

I have been bitten by P. dwyeri... left me with a sore and slighly swollen finger, and I could feel the effects down to my wrist, the bite site felt like a deep tissue burn... P. dwyeri loose the plot at the drop of a hat and when they do they start chomping at anything that moves and a few things that don't.

I know someone bitten by a Parasuta Spectabalis, he reckons it was very painfull. article may be in an old newsletter on the SA Herp group site.

Iv been bitten at least 20 times by P. Dwyeri and never had anything more than some swelling and itchyness around the bite site.I think you would have to be really unlucky to have any serious effects from them.

Iv been bitten at least 20 times by P. Dwyeri and never had anything more than some swelling and itchyness around the bite site.I think you would have to be really unlucky to have any serious effects from them.

my friend had the same effects, found 2 under a piece of tin out near merriwa, I handed him the cranky one:lol:

I think you would have to be really unlucky to have any serious effects from them.

Yes, but plenty of "unlucky" people die from bee stings every year.... if your hours from anywhere it not a good spot to go into anaphylactic shock.... hey those little Dwyeri hang on for all it's worth eh?

Yes, but plenty of "unlucky" people die from bee stings every year.... if your hours from anywhere it not a good spot to go into anaphylactic shock.... hey those little Dwyeri hang on for all it's worth eh?
Yeah thats true, its not a good idea to get bitten by any venomous snake, im much more careful these days.They do like to hang on, the worst effects iv had is the itchyness around the bite site that sometimes can last for months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back