Young Goanna food size

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
chopping mice and rats can brake and splinter the bones. if they rip it apart themself thers no sharp bits.
how old and how long is your lacie?
these ackies are 8 months and around 45cm they have no problem with eating whole animals and were raised on crickets and pinkies

yuk pinkie guts. one of my snad monitors desided one day he would rip a small rat apart and fling it all around the cage, boy did that make a mess

My Lacey is about 4-5months old.
The man I got him off has lectured on these monitors, even overseas!!
He has bred and raised them for many years.
So I DONT see a prob in cutting up the mice!!!! (done while frozen!!)
I know every one has their own way, but live and learn.

so you cut it up while frozen....what happens when you defrost it to feed to them...wouldnt all the guts leak out everywhere

a 5 month lacie should eat adult mice no problem, how long is it??

Does anyone know of any good sources of info re: Ackies and smaller monitors...?

You have all got me thinking about how great it would be to have one or two... ;)

He is getting to the stage of nearly eating a whole mouse.
BUT you changed the subject. The original question was about feeding HATCHLINGS, and young goana's, and I was pointing out WHY I was told to feed chopped adults, and not pinkies!!

im not having a go but what you said is just repeating what someone told you,and is not good advice as your lacie dosnt sound like its thriving.
pinkie and fuzzies are full of calcium, there bellies are full of milk.

benson - My Lacey is thriving. I was told by the fellow who bred him, to CHOP adult mice. As I have a freezer FULL of rats and mice, from pinkie to adult, I COULD feed pinkies. But I was told, and it makes a lot of sense to me, the ADULT mice have more calcium in their bones, and are much better for the hatchlings!!!!!!

Tristis,
I'm not having a shot at you either, but I do pick and choose who I listen to about reptiles.
This fellow is a doctor, and also works at the wildlife park in Sydney.
I have seen his animals, and know he is VERY good with them. As I said he lectures on them .
He said its the calcium in the adult mouse bones which are good for the hatchlings.
My Lacie IS doing fine, and is really growing nicely.
YOUR way is not always the RIGHT way. You can learn from others!
lace monitor 2063

just feed it pinkies, there really is no need to chop up adult mice for him

Makes no differance if you chop them up or feed pinkies IMO. I usually chop up larger rodents but thats just so i dont need to breed as many.

my juvi ackies sumetimes swallow sand when they dag the food across the ground.... i figured this would naturaly happen, you guys freak me out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back