Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just gave me a great idea midnight. Im going to the zoo, but before hand im going to bath myself with rats and mice, go up to a snake at the zoo get bitten then sue the zoo for compo. If i dont do it now some other knob head will do it. "Conditioning snakes" what a load of bull

Have to beg to differ on that ....I put it down to sheer LUCK ....it might not happen now it might not happen next week ....but nothing is 100% and they at the zoo's take a huge huge risk ,yes I agree that these seem very quiet and settled snakes ...but I wouldnt give it the fool proof credit ever ...look at some of the docco's that even Steve has done where he is holding one of his own snakes explaining to the girl it wont bite its tame and quiet and just as his famous words left his mouth it bit him on the neck!....
exactly...agros cartoon connection it was on i think :)

Have to beg to differ on that ....I put it down to sheer LUCK ....it might not happen now it might not happen next week ....but nothing is 100% and they at the zoo's take a huge huge risk ,yes I agree that these seem very quiet and settled snakes ...but I wouldnt give it the fool proof credit ever ...look at some of the docco's that even Steve has done where he is holding one of his own snakes explaining to the girl it wont bite its tame and quiet and just as his famous words left his mouth it bit him on the neck!....

I have to agree with Redbelly. Some one once said to me all animals are tame untill they bite you.
very true words

just gave me a great idea midnight. Im going to the zoo, but before hand im going to bath myself with rats and mice, go up to a snake at the zoo get bitten then sue the zoo for compo. If i dont do it now some other knob head will do it. "Conditioning snakes" what a load of bull
hahaha,good one

gday, now heres a different side to the story,, i do reptile shows in the sydney area. wont say for which company,, now we have many many different species of snakes we use for eg, carpets, diamonds, childrens, spotted, bredli, olives etc. For the time i have been doing this i have never had a snake bite either myself or a child or even adult at a show, i put it down to the factors

1: These snakes have been doing these shows all of their lives, they have been conditioned to the "party" environment so dont seem to be as stressed as a snaked would be if it had never been handled before and then all of a sudden bam theres 50 ppl.

2:I think most of the time its the keepers instinct that stops most bites from occuring, i know when my snakes are looking stressed and ready to go away, i think by reading their body language we can be able to know what you can and cant get away with. This also comes down with experience with each individual snake knowing their behaviours

3: Confidence confidence confidence. The handler must have this in themselves and in the snake out on show, so when they do go out they arent half thinking im going to get bitten then half thinking on what the snake is doing, when doing these shows at all times the handlers attention must be on what the snake is doing even if they arent holding it,, i let people hold the snakes by themselves but am always focused what the snake looks like it mite do, and am always close enough to intervene before a bite does occur,

Though to be fair i dont think you can give a 100% guarantee that the snake wont bite but if you do the right things you do minimise the chance of a bite but as always there are always some knobs around that try to test their luck

**it happens, I used what would be considered a baby safe carpet in a photoshoot. Unfortunately the stuff they used to make the devil's shin shiny seemed to make the carpet bite him on the back. Fortunately Satan was cool with it.

gday, now heres a different side to the story,, i do reptile shows in the sydney area. wont say for which company,, now we have many many different species of snakes we use for eg, carpets, diamonds, childrens, spotted, bredli, olives etc. For the time i have been doing this i have never had a snake bite either myself or a child or even adult at a show, i put it down to the factors

1: These snakes have been doing these shows all of their lives, they have been conditioned to the "party" environment so dont seem to be as stressed as a snaked would be if it had never been handled before and then all of a sudden bam theres 50 ppl.

2:I think most of the time its the keepers instinct that stops most bites from occuring, i know when my snakes are looking stressed and ready to go away, i think by reading their body language we can be able to know what you can and cant get away with. This also comes down with experience with each individual snake knowing their behaviours

3: Confidence confidence confidence. The handler must have this in themselves and in the snake out on show, so when they do go out they arent half thinking im going to get bitten then half thinking on what the snake is doing, when doing these shows at all times the handlers attention must be on what the snake is doing even if they arent holding it,, i let people hold the snakes by themselves but am always focused what the snake looks like it mite do, and am always close enough to intervene before a bite does occur,

Though to be fair i dont think you can give a 100% guarantee that the snake wont bite but if you do the right things you do minimise the chance of a bite but as always there are always some knobs around that try to test their luck
Thats fair enough and most of us understand what your getting at and how you can justify the situation ...my question to you is before you allow anyone to either pat or hold the snakes do you make them aware that there is a possibility that they could end up with a bite from these seemingly quiet snakes ,before going through the handling process?

This is where a standard herper even a noobie ,can understand that the chances ,although small can still happen ,and a person that has never had any experience with reptiles ever would put their 100% trust in an animal and be totally shocked if it did bite them or their child and things then could go bad for the company/zoo ...
.I am sure if these guildlines were in tow quoting the slim chance of being bitten the amount of people willing to take it on may decrease in size as to who wants to do that..
my biggest beef with snake holding is ..They allow the snake to sit around the shoulders and walk away from the person getting the picture taken ..they may be able to stop and help a coil situation but a snap at the face and tagging the eye would happen that quick and they would be left to deal with the aftermath ....I truely think in all zoo's and companies that offer this interaction ,make aware to the general public the small risk involved .
Snakes are never tame !!..quiet some may be ..tame I dont believe.

Thats fair enough and most of us understand what your getting at and how you can justify the situation ...my question to you is before you allow anyone to either pat or hold the snakes do you make them aware that there is a possibility that they could end up with a bite from these seemingly quiet snakes ,before going through the handling process?

This is where a standard herper even a noobie ,can understand that the chances ,although small can still happen ,and a person that has never had any experience with reptiles ever would put their 100% trust in an animal and be totally shocked if it did bite them or their child and things then could go bad for the company/zoo ...
.I am sure if these guildlines were in tow quoting the slim chance of being bitten the amount of people willing to take it on may decrease in size as to who wants to do that..
my biggest beef with snake holding is ..They allow the snake to sit around the shoulders and walk away from the person getting the picture taken ..they may be able to stop and help a coil situation but a snap at the face and tagging the eye would happen that quick and they would be left to deal with the aftermath ....I truely think in all zoo's and companies that offer this interaction ,make aware to the general public the small risk involved .

correct to the both of you. I am affiliated with a certain place that does let the public interact with snakes and other wildlife, and yes, we watch the behaviour of the snake CLOSELY to be able to determine what mood its going to be in. Most of the animals we use basically just sit there haha. And they do settle down with routine, however in saying this there is ALWAYS a chance of a bite, so the public is made aware that they should hold the black headed before they go and pat the possum, as there is always a chance the snakes may bite! Etc.

Well stated RBB, I am in 100% agreement with you.
Of the four points raised the first is a crock and the following three negate it anyway.

thanks for everyones responses,definately come to the conclusion that snakes cannot have a definate 100% label of WILL NOT BITE (things can always happen)

Yep

Snakes can be conditoned? Yes. Does this mean they will never bite? No

Are humans conditioned to be behave in a civilized manner? Yes.
Does this mean they will never hurt or kill another human being? No. They still manage to punch the living crap out of each other.

A animal is just that, be it wild or domestic, nothing can be 100% predicted to never be aggressive. Its a risk we take and animals shouldnt be destroyed when they retaliate, how is it even a surprize?

If you get bitten by a python it doesnt get labelled 'vicious' cos we dont expect it to be perfect.
Yet other animals such as dogs are killed if they even look at a person the wrong way. Do we forget that its lines were once those of a wild animal?

If your willing to risk handling a python in a zoo, you shouldnt be able to sue if you get bitten by dancing around in its face. If the handler stirs it up and chases you with it than yes... Haha

a friend of mine does demonstrations, had a woman get bitten by a snake that has never bitten before, it does happen, just lucky that it wasnt some kid, and the person didnt wanna hold anyone responsable/ realised it was their own fault.

does anyone have this prob....when i have a snake out and say a friend on mine or a friend of someone in my family sees the snake and are interested(thats all good)but then they want to touch it(and they never ask they just do)is it my fault if it bites(i guess so but they shouldnt have touched without asking,you dont walk up to someone on the street and start patting there dog without asking permission first)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back