20ft great white caught of Mexico

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up during times when it was ok to kill sharks.The Cropps were leading the way with 303 power heads on their handspears and teaching everyone by video, cutting a swathe through the population of nurses. There was unrestricted shark killing as game boats were after the biggest, baddest fish full on. Then they got protected as the numbers of whites started going like crocs did. So my generation has grown up surfing places like rivermouths,outer reefs and paddling across rivers to get uncrowded waves. Its been pretty safe all things considered and though we saw plenty of sharks, I can't help but think that now with more people surfing and sharks being protected that the incidence of attack may increase. Especially if young surfers these days do what we used to. Towing in is now by far my preferred method for out of the way spots.
Its weird, I have had heaps of shark encounters, we used to surf Sth Straddie with one of us always just sitting outside spotting and we would rotate to get waves, including 14-16 ft tiger in Java, 6-7ft white at Burleigh Cove, and other random sightings of smaller ones as well as a very close call with a 8 footer while spearfishing with my wife just recently at Jervis bay, but they have all been well behaved and I am here still. Alot of these encounters have been pretty well close to the shore too (within a few hundred meters), but paddling out to outer reefs now a days, or sitting out off a river mouth is not really a high priority anymore no matter how good it is. But I think the mentality that we had about being safe in these spots and doing this stuff, might now be outdated with the numbers of whites increasing. But then again maybe our collapsed fisheries is helping to keep their numbers down.

Very sad that this beautiful shark had to die, but lets be serious. People have to eat! ........

Yes we do need to eat. The problem is we don't need to breed so prolifically that we eat the planet dry of everything!

lol fishing

Mate you'll catch sharks all up the NSW coast mainly bronze whalers on the beaches if fishing Land based (I catch them mainly as jewfish bycatch unless targeting big ones) big oily baits and don't forget your metal trace and mainly at night and a rising or high tide when fishing beaches.. If you have a boat a decent burly trail and big baits and you shouldn't be waiting to long before your reels start screaming.. I've caught a 2m shovel nose shark in the Hastings river when I was on my way up to schoolies a few years ago, caught it on my bream fishing gear ( 4lb braid 6lb leader) on a whole servo prawn, I've also got mates that live in the Fernbank area that have said they have been catching bullsharks up that way in the Hastings.. Your best bet is to join your local fishing club and ask around, I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction. If you want any tips PM me, I'm more then happy to give you tips on baits,rigs etc.

I can't help but think that now with more people surfing and sharks being protected that the incidence of attack may increase. Especially if young surfers these days do what we used .
id have to agree with this point , as a surfer as well living in a small town we had never had a shark attack , maybe due to the lack of crowds, maybe because there wasn't as many sharks i don't know but we recently had our first attack , not a biggie just got him on the foot but shook it around a fair bit and cut it up pretty bad people that looked at the bite mark said it was possibly a bull shark and that it only got him about 20m from the shore in a gutter running along the beach

this all happened at the beach across the road from my house :shock: and it was a guy that i know from just up the road that got attacked he still surfs the same beach and so do i although im a little more paranoid about surfing on my own there now

Mate you'll catch sharks all up the NSW coast mainly bronze whalers on the beaches if fishing Land based (I catch them mainly as jewfish bycatch unless targeting big ones) big oily baits and don't forget your metal trace and mainly at night and a rising or high tide when fishing beaches.. If you have a boat a decent burly trail and big baits and you shouldn't be waiting to long before your reels start screaming.. I've caught a 2m shovel nose shark in the Hastings river when I was on my way up to schoolies a few years ago, caught it on my bream fishing gear ( 4lb braid 6lb leader) on a whole servo prawn, I've also got mates that live in the Fernbank area that have said they have been catching bullsharks up that way in the Hastings.. Your best bet is to join your local fishing club and ask around, I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction. If you want any tips PM me, I'm more then happy to give you tips on baits,rigs etc.
ever tried eels as a bait for sharks ? my dad used to be a fisherman and he did black tip up in the clarence river with the long lines i remember he used to use pieces eel used to work pretty well for him although he used to trap eels as well and they had to be sold live so he used any that died as shark bait

Last edited:
ever tried eels as a bait for sharks ? my dad used to be a fisherman and he did black tip up in the clarence river with the long lines i remember he used to use pieces eel used to work pretty well for him although he used to trap eels as well and they had to be sold live so he used any that died as shark bait

Yeah mate cured eel is one the top go too baits we use for big sharks of all species especially big bulls. The blokes I do shark, game fishing tournaments with swear by it, it's a very smelly bait, stays on the hook well with a few zip ties and a big 16/0 hook and disguises the metal trace.

yea i wasn't real sure if he just used them because he had a good supply of them ( with them dying in the big tub thing we kept them in waiting to be picked up and sold) but i remember going with him one morning and we had to keep going back to the wharf and getting rid of them because just about every line was full and there wasn't a great deal of room in the boat i was about 8 or 9 at the time i loved it only little sharks though no big ones
big cat fish up their to worth catching them just for the fun of it

yea i wasn't real sure if he just used them because he had a good supply of them ( with them dying in the big tub thing we kept them in waiting to be picked up and sold) but i remember going with him one morning and we had to keep going back to the wharf and getting rid of them because just about every line was full and there wasn't a great deal of room in the boat i was about 8 or 9 at the time i loved it only little sharks though no big ones
big cat fish up their to worth catching them just for the fun of it

He would have come across some big eels especially long lining, my mates oldman used to do be a licensed fish trapper an has some photos of some mean looking big eels that are easily 2.5- 3m long and about 2ft wide. Apparently smoked eel isn't to bad on the table and is a delicacy overseas but there's no chance you'd me using it for anything other than shark bait.

He would have come across some big eels especially long lining, my mates oldman used to do be a licensed fish trapper an has some photos of some mean looking big eels that are easily 2.5- 3m long and about 2ft wide. Apparently smoked eel isn't to bad on the table and is a delicacy overseas but there's no chance you'd me using it for anything other than shark bait.
funny you say that we lived at iluka for a while and he put some lines just the other side of the break wall and caught 2 massive eels on it i cant remember the name of them but they were big about 2.5 ,3m as you said they were silver and kinda had a body like a woma more of a high and skinny shaped body instead of round if you know what i mean and they had kind of a snout but yea eels a big delicacy overseas they go crazy for it and pay big $$$ but the only catch is that they want to get them live and squirming so we had a big tub in our garage it stunk and the big ones die so bloody easy and the licence to do it isn't a real easy one to come by i remember my dad really didn't want to part with it when he sold up and got out of the business

Nice lilttle bronzie mate, I'm guessing you got it of the beach? We have been gettiing heaps of bronzies of the beach in Sydney, been targeting jewfish a few nights this week no luck with jews but **** loads of bronzies and decent tailor around the 60cm mark.
I'm going for a rock fishing session today so hopefully we gets some decent fish.

This is the last bronzie I caught and released when out in the boat. The 3metre was just an estimation, it was more 2.5metres ;)
View attachment 249033View attachment 249034

That's a nice catch, how long did it take you to bring it in ? wish I had a boat.. Mine were like 1m and 990. Was at Stockton beach usually get at least one. Been chasing the jewes the night we caught the two sharks we caught about 3-4 small ones had 2 rods with squid 2 with worms and 2 with pillys. Seem to like abit of everything forever catching salmon they get annoyying after awhile.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?uwzgau

funny you say that we lived at iluka for a while and he put some lines just the other side of the break wall and caught 2 massive eels on it i cant remember the name of them but they were big about 2.5 ,3m as you said they were silver and kinda had a body like a woma more of a high and skinny shaped body instead of round if you know what i mean and they had kind of a snout but yea eels a big delicacy overseas they go crazy for it and pay big $$$ but the only catch is that they want to get them live and squirming so we had a big tub in our garage it stunk and the big ones die so bloody easy and the licence to do it isn't a real easy one to come by i remember my dad really didn't want to part with it when he sold up and got out of the business

I don't think what you caught was a eel but possibly another species of fish called a hairtail (Trichiurus lepturus) .. Considering that eel can go for $15+ per kg depending on the time of year and quality there would and still is some serious money to be made.

That's a nice catch, how long did it take you to bring it in ? wish I had a boat.. Mine were like 1m and 990. Was at Stockton beach usually get at least one. Been chasing the jewes the night we caught the two sharks we caught about 3-4 small ones had 2 rods with squid 2 with worms and 2 with pillys. Seem to like abit of everything forever catching salmon they get annoyying after awhile.

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?uwzgau

It was under the half hour mark with the stella 18000 at around the 15kg drag mark.. Sharks will only have a few good runs an then they get buggered unless you start tackling on the big ones that's went you gotta hang in there for the long run. Yeah there's some big schools of sambos getting around at this time of year half decent shark bait too. Do you fish up at Stockton regularly?

I don't think what you caught was a eel but possibly another species of fish called a hairtail (Trichiurus lepturus) .. Considering that eel can go for $15+ per kg depending on the time of year and quality there would and still is some serious money to be made.
just looked up hairtails on the net and they do look alot like what these where he only ever got the 2 that big , ive got pics around somewhere of them but there a printed photo so itll be a picture of a picture if i find them ill put them up , and yea theres big money in eels which is why people who have the licences don't like to sell them on to much but they are a hard one for people to sell on with them having to be alive at the time of sale and all the bigger sized eels die really easy

Aren't seals and sea lion better swimmers than Sharks???

Yeah they are but great whites will usually target seals when there in breeding season and some how they know when and where that time of year is and will target those areas when the seal pups are to learning to swim, Neptune islands of the coast of south Australia is one of the places in the world where a lot of big great whites and bull sharks migrate each year to target seals.

Aren't seals and sea lion better swimmers than Sharks???
ever seen the footage of the big white jumping up on to a rock ledge with a wave to get at the seals , them things have damn good dig to get their food

ever seen the footage of the big white jumping up on to a rock ledge with a wave to get at the seals , them things have damn good dig to get their food

I've seen the video your talking about, it's similar to the video with the orcas (killer whale) where they get the seal stuck in a rock pool and one of the orca sits at the entrance to the pool and the other orcas bash around the other side to sweep it out with the current, a lot smarter the people give them credit for. I also remember watching a documentary on an orca known to target big great whites.

Very sad that this beautiful shark had to die, but lets be serious. People have to eat! It was caught in a net and was dead when the fisherman found it, hardly there fault or wrong doing. Ever ate fish fingers? Because chances are if you have you`ve contributed to death of more than one sea creature that wasn`t the targeted species in order to satisfy your hunger.
And don`t get me wrong I`m not a shark hater, I am in awe of great white sharks. One of the most beautiful creatures on earth IMO.

True, but sharks this size are so full of mercury they don't get eaten. Unless, maybe in a country where that isn't known they might scoff on it. I wouldn't.
That's the only thing that bugs me about game fishing, I was at Port Stephens a few years back and pulled over to watch some guys stringing up a couple of tigers one was about 12 ft the other was closer to 16. I asked the guy who caught it what he was gonna do with it, and his reply was take it back out to the shelf and dump them. (because they are no good for food).

Now, I love fishing, I spear, I have always been around boats and have worked on prawn trawlers off Southport (long time ago now!) But I fail to see the point in catching and killing an animal that is miles out to sea, just so you can get a picture taken with it strung up by the tail. The whole scene was a complete ****, and it was sickening hearing the uneducated heap praise on the crew of killers that caught these sharks. It was a toyota sponsered game comp, oh what a feeling.

I challenge any shark fisherman to take up boardriding and be sitting in the water when a 15ft tiger cruises past. I guarantee you will be a changed man. I learnt respect for them by being in this position at Garadjugan in Java, I have seen them cruising next to the boats I worked on but nothing prepares you for the moment when your in the water with them and there is absolutely nothing you can do but hope they are not hungry. To see it come straight in towards you and then turn away in disinterest at about 5 meters away is a very humbling experience. We need to respect these animals and not kill them for a stupid 1hr of ego pump and a photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back