5 bay enclosure help/opinions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey guys

been a little while since my last post. lovin' the new layout by the way ;)

anyways, just wanting some opinions from the senior keepers with sizing on a 5 bay enclosure I'm looking to build in the near future.
:) just wondering what sizing you guys would recommend for adult coastals. the coastals that will be going in will only be 2yrs old when they do get moved in, but I'm wanting it to last them for the rest of their life if possible.
(picture attached)
opinions and ideas kindly appreciated :)

thanks
Trouble

Attachments

• 5 bay enclosure set up.jpg
    5 bay enclosure set up.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 249
I would suggest you build it on a few pieces , might get fairly heavy and hard to move in 1 piece .
The spotted sizes are fine , the coastal/bredli should be ok too , but could use bigger if you have the space ...

You would also need to be careful of overheating in the central Carpet compartment as well as the right hand side Spotted - both will be receiving heat from three heat lamps...

Yeah that'll be super heavy if you ever what to move house! Dickys spot on, do it in a few pieces.

Don't forget that the heat from the bottom 3 will travel up to the stimmie's as well.

If you did the top 2 spotted cages as a seperate unit you could raise it of the top of the coastal cages to stop any excess heat transfer ... but a little transfer wont be all bad as they love ground heat any way .

thanks for that guys : )
that's a good idea Dicky, it never came across my mind haha. will put that in the plans :)
and I've moved the lights around.. anything else I should do?

thanks again.

Attachments

• 5 bay enclosure set up.jpg
    5 bay enclosure set up.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 154
Build it and put some snakes in it ;)
:lol: haha thanks for that :p Will be sure to do that :) Will post pics when done, thanks for the help guys !!

edit: ohh one more question... what materials would you use..? Malimine or pine, or something different altogether?

I would be worried about the heat build up on the right spotteds enclosure. Would get heat from the lamp inside on the right, and from the floor both ends from the enclosures underneath. I personally prefer more vents to allow airflow. Usually one on the bottom like you have and another higher up so that air can flow aided by the heating. I place the higher vents about 8" from the top so to balance heat loss with circulation. I dont know what size globes you are running but would be wary as to how they are controlled. If you use a timer, or a single thermostat then of course could be large differences in temps. I have done similar enclosures and have found putting in a basking shelf heated with heat cord, then ceramic tile over the top to work really well. Sizing looks fine otherwise, and yeah agree would be heavy as a single enclosure. With regards to materials everyone has different opinions, but I have found using 15mm pine ply an easy and effective way. The ply is strong and easy to work with. I then seal the ply with water based stains. Just some thoghts anyhow.

thank you for your input tonesanlainie, I will keep that in mind. I have started thinking I might use pegboard as the backing so all the enclosures have adequate ventilation, and using ply for the rest of the enclosures :) yeah, also thinking to build them as separate enclosures so it's lighter and I can move them if I need to.
will post pics up once I start building them!

I've HAD a 6 bay enclosure which was 8 foot long by 4 foot high by 2 foot deep..

it took 4 blokes to lift it and move it to the new house.

Ive now cut it in half to make two 4x2x2 three bay enclosures.

Id make 5 different enclosures if I was you.

Cheers
Luke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back