60 Minutes story about cyclists

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some research to help you along:

"The most frequently assigned major factor in fatal road crashes involving
cyclists in the period 1996 to 2004 was the failure of cyclists and other road
users to observe each other on the road. For cyclists, their visibility remains a
key safety issue." http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/safety/publications/2006/pdf/death_cyclists_road.pdf pg 10

From the same page

"The most common type of crash in which cyclists were fatally injured was the
cyclist being hit from behind by a motor vehicle travelling in the same lane in
the same direction. Cyclists riding on rural roads are particularly at risk of being
run over from behind. From 1996 to 2004, there were at least 58 cases where a
cyclist was run over by a motor vehicle coming from behind. This kind of crash
occurred in urban as well as in rural areas but 38 cases occurred on rural roads,
most during the day."

This suggests STRAIGHT AWAY that the fault is of the motor vehicle driver and not that of the cyclist - although being seen is the responsibility of the cyclist - the road users must ALL pay attention to ALL vehicles and pedestrians on the road.

"The next most common crash type was the cyclist riding from the footway into
an intersection or onto a road and being hit by an oncoming motor vehicle."

Cyclist fault and they need to be more aware of this!

Only 2 - 3% of the road fatalaties can be attributed to cyclists - a far cry less than that of speeding or drink driving - something we shoudl target far more seriously while lowering the road toll we may also help cyclist to be safer and seen!

Once again I must admit 60 minutes you've managed to editorialise and sensationalise a crock of stuff that comes from a tadpoles vent!

More stats to come!

I think a lot of people are just unaware that they need to treat a cyclist as if they were a car. and that while using roads the cyclist must abide the same rules as licensed vehicles. I encounter similar problems as cyclist while on my motorbike.

hahahahahahahahahahaha..... The views and opinions some of the people on this site have are complete and utter crap. The majority of those posts put the cyclist down as being the bad guy, when "99.9%" of the time, in my own experience as a competetive cyclist, the motorists are in the wrong. Yesterday when I was out riding, one of my good friends was mere centimetres from being hit by some idiot, riding in the middle of the bike lane. This shows how good the car control of you motorists is ? Not to mention the 10's of people that gave us the horn for riding in the bike lane, not disrupting anyone, anything, in anyway. In the hundreds and hundreds of times I have ridden my bike on the roads, I think a total of once I have seen the cyclist do the wrong thing. I'm not saying some of them don't, because I know there are some that are losers, who don't deserve to be riding a bike... But more often the not, it is not the riders. Myself and the bunches I ride with do so with complete legality. I really wish it wasn't so hard for most of the motorists out there to gain some respect, and patience.
There is nothing wrong with the people that OBEY the rules... its the people that dont that give you guys a bad name

I have no problem with bike riders, I used to ride on the roads a little, but have woken up to the fact that I don't want to die jambed under a car so now usually only ride in the N. P. ect, besides, I see more critters this way.... still I have never had any problems with my riding or as a driver.... can't understand the fuss really? Some people need to leant to be patient and if they have to slow their lives down for 3 minutes to overtake a bike rider that it's not the end of the world and life will go on, with or without having a tanty.

Both sides are in the wrong, if people just used their brains on the road there'd be no dramas. Build the metaphorical bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back