8 keelbacks hiding together

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cadwallader

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey,
So i went on a study break today and went out looking for animals and lifted up a rock near one of the water holes and there was 8 keel backs. i never knew they did this. well the pound they were near was filled with cane toad tadpoles say 2-3 weeks ago and now there is hardly many and they have still not fully morphed. so my question i don't know if anyone can really answer it but as keelbacks eat can toad tadpole with no ill effect, what percentage of the tadpole can make up there diet?
cheers

I know nothing of their dietary habits. Sorry mate...

But, when I used to work out at Fog Dam, there was a well known (well amongst us) communal nesting site. 500 plus eggs, every year. Nothing cuter than a baby keelback...

Edit:

Oh, and at the same research facility, we had about 100 keelbacks, they always seemed to prefer small toads over taddys.

i was so surprised ay like have found single one we get a few around here and when i lifted up the rock i was so surprised made my week :p was soo careful putting it back how it was after i watch for a bit.
thanks heaps brodie. anyone else know a bit about them
good to see some of Australia's wildlife adapting to eat the toads :)

i know they can eat toads but thats all i really know about them .

cheers nico

cool find , blokes at work were digging up footpath slabs and found 6 yellow faced whip snakes all together. i thought snakes were generally solitary animals but there you go !

wow you would have been nice an supprised , i also would be too

8 in the same spot is impressive..

Attachments

• 100_0418.jpg
    100_0418.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 107
  • 100_0409.jpg
    100_0409.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 100_0410.jpg
    100_0410.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 67
Always had a soft spot for keelbacks, there an interesting animal to keep

ill try and put one up to night got a few what is everyone thoughts on free handling keelbacks?

It is not uncommon to get aggregations of many snakes species, sometimes different species mixed in, I am unsure of the reason they do it though. 8 keelbacks sounds like a nice find mate.

Freehandling a keelback is fine, do what you want ;)

If in Doubt,its defiantly a Keelback...I moved from NSW to QLD last week,within 15mins at the motel i caught my first one..From what i hear there really common,and on many occasions its not that hard to come across a few in a night...

Don't underestimate Rough-scales, they are right up there for toxicity.

this is one little guy we have found before:)

Attachments

• keelback5.jpg
    keelback5.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 112
While they can eat toads and have a tolerance to the toxin they are not immune to it. Large doses will still kill them and they can't live off toads as a staple.

Hey,
So i went on a study break today and went out looking for animals and lifted up a rock near one of the water holes and there was 8 keel backs. i never knew they did this. well the pound they were near was filled with cane toad tadpoles say 2-3 weeks ago and now there is hardly many and they have still not fully morphed. so my question i don't know if anyone can really answer it but as keelbacks eat can toad tadpole with no ill effect, what percentage of the tadpole can make up there diet?
cheers

lol yer not too keen to get tagged by one of them... that guy was so calm i was surprised compared to other keel backs ive held..:)

While they can eat toads and have a tolerance to the toxin they are not immune to it. Large doses will still kill them and they can't live off toads as a staple.

I know a keeper here in QLD who has been feeding their captive Keelbacks solely on Cane Toads for a couple of years now. I was surprised too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back