8 kilo carpet python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

silatman

Reaction score
Was at work today and heard a guy talking about his SWCP.

He was telling this guy that it was a 4 year old and that it weighed 8 kilos and was about 100mm thick.

He was wanting to find a male to breed with.

Is this weight right? sounds to me like he was talking it up just a little or do i have this sort of size animal to look forward too when our little cleo grows up.

He said that he feeds it young chickens not rodents when I asked him what it feeds on as I thought that maybe he was one of these people who overfeeds and uses fat rats that I read about on another thread here about what captive animals look like after autopsy due to constant overfeeding. Apparently not though.

What sort of adult weight range is there then? I know they grow to 2 - 3 meters but I just never assumed their weight would be that much.

Well both I suppose as even though we call our snake a girl we don't know what "she" really is, and we don't care as we are not going to be breeding anyway.

2 - 10kgs is a massive range!, I cant believe (not that I'm doubting you) that there is any animal that would have such a major size variation within the same species, your talking about a difference of over 500% between individuals. Unless you mean juvenile to adult and not mature adult to mature adult.

Even still a SWCP over 10kgs must be a site to behold, photo's anyone?

Silatman,

A 10kg Carpet isn't all that huge of a snake. It's important to remember that whilst reptiles growth rates slow down considerably, they never stop. A 2.4m Carpet with a constant source of food will easily exceed 10kg.

i did have pictures of mine. he is about 2m in length and weighs 2.4kg

l have a coastal here that would be around 12 kg's and he eats a 600 gm pigeon once a fortnight and is still growing l have posted photos on here before of a wld one that was eating adult turkey's no trouble like jonno said they are around.....solar 17 (baden)

Hang on we are talking a Ms imbricata here people.... Has anyone seen a 8kg south western carpet python? I've seen a lot of em and I certainly havent. ESPECIALLY a 4 year old one!
I'd say your mate is talking it up or has seriously power fed the poor thing. My biggest female SWCP would be pushing to weigh in at 4kg and she is over 8 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:
l have a coastal here that would be around 12 kg's and he eats a 600 gm pigeon once a fortnight and is still growing l have posted photos on here before of a wld one that was eating adult turkey's no trouble like jonno said they are around.....solar 17 (baden)

Woohoo, thread dredging...

EDIT: And Im fairly sure you can get carpets over 10kg, there is a fair bit of weight in some of that muscle.

LOL people just need to learn to RTFS.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm guessing most people over east haven't seen a SWCP before. Would explain the obvious confusion with many of the above posts.

- - - Updated - - -

wow

Anyone got some nice pics of their adult swcp's?
With some sort of scale would be nice :)

The one in my avitar is a SWCP adult female.

- - - Updated - - -

There are a few pics here too:
www.aussiepythons.com/forum/groups/south-western-carpet-python-keepers-280/

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back