80w heat cord to long

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

starr9

Reaction score
Hey all! Can someone please help me with what I can do with a 80w heat cord thats 2 long for what I need!!!

So I got a g8 price on a 80w heat cord with a Microclimate model B2 thermostat that has a day and night temp setting (proportional temp control system) for only $90 2nd hand!

It all works fine but I only have 1 enclosure that I need to make a heat tile for my Stimmie but the heat cord is super long and Im sure Im not going to need it all to heat the tile. So can I get it cut down in size???? is this safe?? Or should I look and see if I could swap it with someone for a smaller one?!?! or just use it and do something with the left over part???!!

Any other help or ideas welcome!!!

Thank you Verity

just grab a piece of melamine, route 2 grooves in it length ways, and slot in the extra cord. if you get more animals later on you can just sit a tub on the cord and your set for a while.

just grab a piece of melamine, route 2 grooves in it length ways, and slot in the extra cord. if you get more animals later on you can just sit a tub on the cord and your set for a while.

Have that on the out side of the current enclosure do you mean?!? I want another one now but I cant till my other half gets use to this one!! hahaha! and shes only a stimmie!!!

Just buy a 25W cord and use that. You'll still be ahead. YOU CANNOT CUT THEM OR MODIFY THEM IN ANY WAY.

To use only a tiny amount of the 80W cord will be very wasteful of energy.

Jamie

80W is probably far too much for an incubator too. All you need is a temp of about 31C to incubate eggs, and depending on the size of your incubator, 15W or 25W is quite adequate. Don't forget that incubation is mostly done in the warmer months already, so you only need minimal assistance. To use a strong heat source and rely on a thermostat to control it is asking for trouble if the thermostat fails.

Jamie

80W is probably far too much for an incubator too. All you need is a temp of about 31C to incubate eggs, and depending on the size of your incubator, 15W or 25W is quite adequate. Don't forget that incubation is mostly done in the warmer months already, so you only need minimal assistance. To use a strong heat source and rely on a thermostat to control it is asking for trouble if the thermostat fails.

Jamie

Im still getting use to having one snake let alone baby's!! Iv got some more to learn before Im ready for that!! But thank you as this will help me down the track and others who may read this. Im going to go and get a 15w I think. this is what others have said will be good for what I need. Thank you all for your input!!!

Just got one on ebay for $23! for a 15w heat cord!

Last edited:

Jamie

Ya, but i'm down in Radelaide, even in summer our nights are still pretty cool, iv'e personally only ever used an 80w for incubating bearded dragon eggs...even today is a nice sunshiny day but it's only a top of 21degrees and a min of 8 degrees

I run 10 tubs on an 80 watt heat cord, 3 strands under each tub at the rear on a rack. My Microclimate thermostat died the other day sending the temps into the mid 40Cs. So taking Jamie's advice is the logical and practical way to go.

I run 10 tubs on an 80 watt heat cord, 3 strands under each tub at the rear on a rack. My Microclimate thermostat died the other day sending the temps into the mid 40Cs. So taking Jamie's advice is the logical and practical way to go.

Thank you Peter! I agree! wow hope they are all ok!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back