Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
August is the final month of winter in Wollongong and it has begun to warm. The weather this weekend was beautiful so I went out for awhile on each day. A few reptiles were out and also enjoying the sunny conditions. I decided to produce a short post of what I photographed as well as include a few shots from earlier this winter.

Eastern Small-eyed Snakes (Cyrtophis nigrescens) is the most common snake in the Wollongong area. They usually are small and placid but this one was much more responsive then most. Eastern small-eyes in this region are drab and usually lack the red ventrals of those from further north.
Smalleye1.jpg

Smalleye2.jpg

This is a young Yellow-faced Whipsnake (Demansia psammophis).
YellowFacedWhipsnake1.jpg

YellowFacedWhipsnake2.jpg

YellowFacedWhipsnake3.jpg

Lesueur's Velvet Geckos (Oedura lesueurii) are dark by day but much paler at night.
Lesueurs1.jpg

Eastern White Skinks (Liopholis whitii) were out in good numbers today.
whites1.jpg

whites2.jpg

whites3.jpg

A real surprise were several Eastern Water Skinks (Eulamprus quoyii). I have never seen them active so early in the season.

Grass Skink (Lampropholis delicata) is the most common skink in my area. I see many in the garden around my home.
LampropholisDelicata1.jpg

LampropholisDelicata2.jpg

Male Superb Blue Wrens are again brightly coloured.
BlueWren1.jpg

Tawny-crowned Honeyeaters are a local bird that are common in only a few areas. I love their mellow, flute-like call and towering display flight. This honeyeater, unlike most, spends a fair amount of time on the ground. I often see them running from shrub to shrub.
TawnyCrowned1.jpg

A large centipede.
centipede1.jpg

The coastal heath has burst into colour. I was really surprised to see so much in flower.
habitat1.jpg

Some of my favourite spring flowers are these Boronia.
boronia1.jpg

boronia2.jpg

... and Waxflowers (Eriostemon)
waxflower.jpg

These are some of the various Proteaceae that are flowering at the moment. They include Banksia, Coneflowers, Drumsticks, Mountain Devil and Grevillea.
banksia1_400.jpg
banksia2_400.jpg
banksia3_400.jpg

coneflower1_400.jpg
drumstick2_400.jpg
lambertia_400.jpg

grevillia1_400.jpg
grevillia2_400.jpg
grevillia3_400.jpg

The heath is full of members of Epacridaceae.
epac1_400.jpg
epacris3_400.jpg
epacris1_400.jpg

epacris2_400.jpg
epacris6_400.jpg
epacris7_400.jpg

epacris8_400.jpg
epac3_400.jpg
epac2_400.jpg

Spir1_400.jpg
Spir1a_400.jpg
epac4_400.jpg

Peas are also numerous. The final shot in this section shows a eucalyptus with galls.
pea4_400.jpg
pea1_400.jpg
pea5_400.jpg

pea1a.jpg
pea10_400.jpg
eucalyptus1_400.jpg

Wattles are in full flower.
wattle6_400.jpg
wattle5_400.jpg
wattle2_400.jpg

wattle1_400.jpg
wattle4_400.jpg
wattle3_400.jpg

Here is a mix of several species. The final shot is of a Gymea Lily, one of my favourites.
spider1_400.jpg
fanflower_400.jpg
damp1_400.jpg

flower1_400.jpg
flower1.jpg
Wax1.jpg

melaleuca2_400.jpg
fungi1_400.jpg
gymea1_400.jpg

Regards,
David

Love the eastern small eyed snakes definitely a snake id like to keep in the future, the whip also has a nice sheen to it as well. Always a treat looking at your herping threads they are never a let down, keep it up.

Cheers,
Brad

beautiful pics mate well done on a good day and the beautiful memories u have with those pics

David, what a wonderful display you put up for us, thank you so much for sharing....you are a great photographer, it must be lovely to live in your area. I have been to woollongong many times, but last time was about 25 years ago when my kids were quite young and I didn't appreciate nature as much as I do now.

Cheers. Annie

Thanks, all, for the comments.

Annie wrote
it must be lovely to live in your area

This area is pretty but so is WA. I would love to head back again for a visit someday! I think that the spring flowers at Kalbarri or the Stirling Ranges would be among the among the best in the world ... I can't think of anywhere better.

Regards,
David

I went back to the heath for a few hours today. The day was cool but a few skinks were active, including this Red-throated Skink (Acritoscincus platynotum):
RedThroated1.jpg

RedThroated2.jpg

I found a cooperative Eastern Water Skink (Eulamprus quoyii) and took a few pics. This is the first year when I have seen this species active in my area in August.
Eastern1.jpg

Eastern2.jpg

Here is a pic of a really odd plant. It is a Green Spider Flower (Grevillea mucronulata), an endemic of NSW. This is one of the few plants that I have seen with green flowers.
correa1.jpg

Other spring flowers:
Banksia1_400.jpg
geebung1_400.jpg
Grevillea1_400.jpg

melaleuca2_400.jpg
melaleuca1_400.jpg
correa2_400.jpg

Darwinia1_400.jpg
Darwinia2_400.jpg
epacris1_400.jpg

eucalyptus1_400.jpg
flower1_400.jpg
pea1_400.jpg

boronia1_400.jpg
boronia2_400.jpg
flower2_400.jpg

It is a great time of the year for a walk along the coast.

Regards,
David

Great pics, could say something good about them all but today I love the EWS and wrens are always a soft spot for me. I must be getting better as I picked the whip and small eyed, not sure why though:|:?

its funny mate but alot of people everywhere are reporting animals both wild and captive rising form brumation alot earlier than usual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back