A Jungle Python for a newie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cold-B-Hearts

hey im 13
iv been interested in snakes my whole life and iv finally reached the age were im allowed to get one

iv done alot of reaserching on the jungle carpet python and i think id be a great owner
at this point iv be heading towards a male for the fact they hold in there color longer were a female tends to fade a little if i am correct ( such a beatiful snake)

i was woundering if anyone could sell me a hachling to yearling. in the brisbane area i am willing to go to ipswich,gold coast,sunshine coast, logan and places surounding brisbane :D

iv made my own cage it is 5 foot 4long 40cm high and 40cm depth its a wooden cage with a glass front, i also made a cave kinda thing because i herd that the like rocky outcrops iv also made a few hides witch i sculptured and stuff like that :D ill probley post some pics in for all this so you guys can get a hint what im talking about

would it be okay if i put a yearling strait into a cage that large?

JCP grow 6-7ft just woundering how fast there growth is when there younge because i look forward to watching my snake grow

anytips on choosing a calmer jungle because iv herd that they can be quite nippy when younge but with regular handling can tame right down, i dont mind if my snake bites me or anything when its younge i just dont wont it to bite my mum or sumthing because she would probly disagree for me to get more snakes in the future

so yeh any extra information would be grateful and if your selling a JCP just contact me because ill probly be buying one in 2 weeks or so

sounds good
thanks for the tips
ill save up the extra couple bucks and go for a yearling :D

Hi Liamb561, I don't know that males hold their colour better than females, I have never heard that.

Have a look in this section of APS, you may fing something there?
For Sale (Snakes)

If I am reading your dimensions correctly, your enclosure is 40cm HIGH and 5 foot 4 LONG?
Jungles tend to like to climb, your enclosure may be better turned on its side so that it is higher rather than longer....if you get what I mean? I have photos of my sons Jungles enclosures in my album on here. Don't forget a cage for your heat lamp ;)
You could possibly get away with putting a young snake into an enclosure that size if you provide plenty of hides and fake plants for it to hide in and feel secure.
They take a couple of years to get to 6-7 foot.
Most snakes can be a little snappy when young because every thing scares them.
Take it slow, give it plenty of time to settle in before handling, they gradually grow out of that stage.
Great that you are doing your research, and you are lucky boy to be allowed to get one :D

Last edited:
Oh yes putting the cage on side wouldn't be such a bad idea. I think I might make a new cage for him all together so he is more coftable later on in the year and kept that one for a couple chindren or stimpson pythons I could ask for for Chrissy :D

Yes I have got pleanty on hides mainly for the fact that I'm always thinking about this snake and I come up with new ideas everyday I skulted a pre nice looking hide out of a rock sorta thing witch seemed to look prety good also I'm using pot plants ,bricks, and a couple of hides from the petshop

Will mabe even put some potting soil in later on and grow a viney plant or sumthing :D

Thanks for your help it so much more helpful when you kno that person is actully talking to you untike caresheets and stuff like that ^_^

Have a look in the for sale thread there are some real nice animals up for grabs at the moment.

Oh yes putting the cage on side wouldn't be such a bad idea. I think I might make a new cage for him all together so he is more coftable later on in the year and kept that one for a couple chindren or stimpson pythons I could ask for for Chrissy :D

:D Yes, its unlikely you will stop at one ;)
My son got his first when he was 11, he is 15 now and has 8, plus a pair of Knobbies, and is annoying me now for an Ackie :D

Michelle

40cm high is pretty short so maybe with the next enclosure if your making it with hight I have 1 sub adult and adult in 890Hx560Lx460W and there plenty big enough for a 5 - 6 ft snake I placed my yearing in it and it was so tiny compared to the enclosure just give plenty of hides,branches, and a bolb cage is needed. glad to here your not another newby going for an easy snake like those dam children pythons ;) lol no affence anyone else but there IMO boring.

Yes I probly would be shock and disapointed in myselve if I stopped with one snake Who knows when I'm older I could be breeding snakes for my career depends how badly I love them but iv been doing like 2-3 hours an more a day researching and learning everyday haha and that's been going on for over a month now
haha but I still need to learn more
any tips on jungles would be greatly apreciated even if it's on breeding or anything like that just for Genral knowledge :D

check out the jungle thread and for sale thread, also if you want more veriety to choose from then your best bet is to wait till about March/April next year when all the breeders start selling hatchies. or go yearling which are most likely breeders holdbacks from previous year. theres a few very good breeders on this site, to name a few: Colin, Jungle Freak, The Devil, and more, maybe check out the wiki section with names of breeders and there websites.

Last edited:
specific type of jungle depends on how much your willing to spend as well some are cheaper then others.

go for the hatchling ,IMO your missing out on alot when you buy a yearling and skipping the whole juvie part, they change dramatically.

Don't buy from the classifieds now, wait for this coming season (end of the year) you will have alot of good priced ,good quality snakes that will grow into great coloured animals, purchase from one of the main (well known) breeders, this way you will get a well established feeder and on going support opposed to a shady character in a mcdonalds carpark that you never hear from again after the sale.

IMO a hatchling would be best ,forget the enclosure for now and buy a starmaid plastic click clack ,a thermostat, a heat mate...oh and buy a small hook :D

mm yeah mabe i will go half half around the 8 months old because then it would still be realitivly younge and would be on track with feeding and sheding and could probs go strait into my enclosure

hey kiddo. Most of my snakes are jungles and none are happy. The thing is, you don't get a snake to cuddle, so if they're snappy, it should'nt matter. Sounds like your doing all your homework and getting your enclosure sorted out pretty well. Remember that they need some height, and always keep a record book for everything. Hope it all goes well for you and welcome to the addiction!

I hope you find a breeder that will take care of you! when you contact one, let them know that it's your first and hopefully they might be nice enough to give you tips (and if your really lucky, they might show you their set up).

I hope you get smooth start in the hobby.
Good luck.

and another thing it may look pretty but try and stay away from any organic materials such as soil ect as they can carry mites ect. and also plants can sometimes cause far too much humidity resulting in health problems. newspaper doesnt look pretty but does the job

im getting a 6 month old in a few days tomorrow or sunday :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back