A Lengthy Post. Good news AND questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilK

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hello! I haven't posted in aaaaagges, but after a recent trip to the Northern Territory I have a bugging question. I was around the Glen Helen region, if that makes sense to anyone, and I came across a tiny snake. I did not think to take a photo, but he was fairly distinct. It had a black head, an orange-red band behind the head, and a silver grey body. And it was smmmaall (could've just been a youngster) ... Any ideas anybody?

In other (more important) news, my parents seem to have caved into the idea that owning a Hypo Bredli is after all a great idea! Still not clear of the woods yet, but we'll see. My dad, being an architect, couldn't help himself in designing an enclosure in his head. It's semi-outdoors (on the verandah) and is basically built onto the house... Heating and lighting and everything...

As I said, trying not to get my hopes up... But it should be fantastic. My question of course is this who is selling Hypo Bredli hatchies this year?! PM me please, or reply here.

Orange-naped snake? I am pretty sure they are found in NT.

GC%20Furina%20diadema.jpg

fornata.jpg

Although maybe someone from NT will be of more help!

It could have been, but it had a really grey body... Every description of them says red/brown... Maybe juvenile colouring? Thanks alot.

G'day Greg,

There are exceptions to every rule. Chances are, the snake you saw was indeed an Orange Naped Snake (Furina ornata), and it was probably about to shed its skin, which would have given it a washed out, milky appearance.

Don't put all your faith into field guides - everything in them is based on the usual...the usual colouration, the usual size, the usual locality etc. Sometimes you get the unusual, like a Red Belly that we have here that actually has a white belly.

Cheers

Jonno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back