A question about BHP breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to disagree. 1 male will suffice, no combatting required.
I know plenty of keepers who use a single male & produce every season.
There is plenty of recorded information around also to verify breedings with single males. Many years ago it was believed to be impossible without the aid of excess males, but I would like to believe that we have come along way since then.

Have you bred BHP yourself Ad?
or are you quoting & passing on "OLD HABIT" advice that you have heard or read ?

Hi JandC - You question my breeding experiences and yet it appears you have no solo breeding experience from your post - maybe it is you that is quoting and passing on information you have heard or read? Rather than your actual expereince?

I've heard and been told it's necessary to have multiple males for breeding by many experienced bhp breeders but also know a few who only use one male
Hi Browns You have heard from 'many' but believe that the 'few' are right?

I hardly consider myself an expert but I have 3 years bhp breeding experience - both solo and combatted incl a friends who hadnt bred his until we did combat them - I am speaking from my experience - and I do know a few bhp breeders of good calibre that have given me advice and I do read.

Each to his own how they breed their bhps and everybody has a right to their 'opinion' -

but,

Why question my experiences to prove your point - when your points are based on hearsay and your opinion rather than experience - rather ironic I think from both of you.

Ad,
I was not taking a shot at you or your experience.
I was simply asking if you had bred them yourself or if you were posting out of date info that was produced in the 70's.

My reply was also aimed at your comment that solo breeders are the exception. As many have now answered they have bred with single males or know someone who has there seems to be alot of exceptions out there.

PS.
You could also purchase multiple lotto tickets to enhance the chances of winning.

No Probs JandC - your first statement sounded authoritive and your last condescending which is why I got a bit defensive. Bridge has been built! lol - lets move on.

When you say 'old habits' i prefer to think of them as the 'basics'. In the old days they were convinced this was the way to go - because it worked for them - and continues to work for a lot of breeders today.
"up-to-date" methods may be good for people 'fine tuning' their breeding - but certainly not the definitive method.
Solo breeding can and does work - JungleFreak has indicated his method above. But to say combat breeding is a thing of the past and shouldnt be used because of that is no grounds - when it still works.

I combat breed because I think it reduces a 'what if' out of the equation in a step towards a succesfull breed. This is why I will continue to, even though my male has had a proven solo breed.

Do the methods of solo breeding correspond with what JungleFreak has written above?
Why do you think solo breeding is better (other than the obvious -1 less mouth to feed).
Cheers
Ad

Guys ,
a single male can do the job and a pair of males will do the job ,
if you only have one male use him as described above it should work but if you own 2 males use them both
theres no harm trying either method ,
everyone has there own ways of doing things etc so there will be varying results with both methods etc
because we all have different cage set ups and husbandry skills ,
cheap pot shots at each other are not necessary ,
we are all here to learn or help each other if possible ,
now im gunna duck for cover ???
cheers Roger

Hi Ad,
I wouldnt say I think 1 method is any better than the other.
I am sure combatting has its place in Herpetology. However if its not necessary I dont see the point in doing it. Of course it may increase chances of breeding (see my PS message) but if you can breed without risking harm to your male or males why would you? Now if solo attempts failed, sure go ahead. But I believe if conditions are perfect there should be no need for it.

Why I would prefer solo breeding:
1 less mouth to feed as you mentioned.
No risk of injuries to breeders.
Precise calculations of breeding traits.
Accurate account of parentage & history.

I hear you didn't have too much luck this year ad,maybe next season try 3 males :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why I would prefer solo breeding:
1 less mouth to feed as you mentioned.
No risk of injuries to breeders.
Precise calculations of breeding traits.
Accurate account of parentage & history.

I agree with the first 2 points JandC, but the last 2 points apply to both imo.
Combatting is definitely a breeding trait.
We combat the males in a seperate tank before sending to females so are aware who is mating who.

Why I continue to combat - is:
It is something they do in the wild - has succesfully been used in breeding cycles for years.
The main point and the one most breeders stick to - it worked for me.

I think solo breeding has its benefits, and Im sure it will be refined more -esp with multi generation cb animals.

I think we have put up enough valid points for people to form opinions, They are a harder pyhton to breed and that can be agreed on.
Cheers
Ad

I used one male on one of my females this year and she laid. I did combat the male i used with a lazy male i have that has no interest in mating.

You can do it with one but i think it's better to have a spare male there if anything just to combat them.

re A

Jungle_Freak said:
Guys ,
a single male can do the job and a pair of males will do the job ,
if you only have one male use him as described above it should work but if you own 2 males use them both
theres no harm trying either method ,
everyone has there own ways of doing things etc so there will be varying results with both methods etc
because we all have different cage set ups and husbandry skills ,
cheap pot shots at each other are not necessary ,
we are all here to learn or help each other if possible ,
now im gunna duck for cover ???
cheers Roger
Your problem roger is that you make to much sense you have to degenerate and learn to fight bitch and claw more :lol: Those that talk about male combat what do you do to make them that aggressive? My males when placed with the female just mated and i never cooled mine down i suspect that must make them aggro?It appears to me that there is those that cool females and males down for a period before introduction,and there is also others that provide heat constantly and rely on the drops in night time temps to stimulate mating activity. :)

Hi Browns You have heard from 'many' but believe that the 'few' are right?
Hey ad,no i've heard from many who breed every year who use multiple males and believe it's the best method which i'm far from being in a position myself to say that few of them are right they've been doing it for ages but also believe that people have good success using just one male as mentioned by many and the people i mention is not heresay it's fact.One friend had 1 male get 3 girls gravid.

I also thought that you bred your bhp's for the first time last season and remember being prety impressed and was unaware you've bred them 3 times.Like you say each to their own and obviously people are having success using many different methods to a degreeand success with one male.
Why question my experiences to prove your point - when your points are based on hearsay and your opinion rather than experience - rather ironic I think from both of you.
As i said i thought you bred bhp's for the first time last season so that's why i said what i thought,also my points again aren't heresay..my male jumped my girl straight up but yes no eggs ,and there's others i know with success for fact not heresay as mentioned above....also the last comment was tongue in cheek ad,if i don't do well next season i'll try 2 males for sure but from whyat i've found out the egss in my girl just didn't get shelled.

Now come on Browns don't start going soft on us.You told me on the phone last night that Ad didn't know one end of a black head from the other. :lol:

lmao Pilbara - such a diplomat, I have come to the conclusion it is the black bit.
I deduced this by playing with my rats first before handling the bhps, after much experimentation I found the black bit to be most likely where food goes in.

Mates can differ on opinion and I know Browns was 'having a dig' in his second post - thats sweet - mates also have memories! lol
Cheers
Ad

re A

Dont worry Browns you will get your Pilbarra Gold Card from Pilbarra Pythons Pty Ltd,you know mate the ones with the knew slogan "Get a Trueblue Pet and you wont need a vet" it will be with your Xmas card and i understand it has flybuys and brownie points yungdude!! :lol:

LOLz Yeah Pilabara said he had another bumblebee bhpeeee waiting just for me :lol: Did you say something about a drive by? oh sorry flybuys and brownie points huh , this is good stuff!!!

I've heard of a female bhp ovulating at 18 mths and producing a viable clutch.I certainly think this is an exception and not recomended,just my opinion.I have a male that went to 3 femalesand 2 produced,amazingly as he is a very lazy animal.I have tried to combat him for quite a few years but he shows absolutely no interest whatsoever in any other male.Completely non-aggressive.I think as stated if you have a second male it certainly improves things.

Good to hear there is sucess with a single male, may still look at a share and swap theory depending on the action that is or isn't seen I suppose. But this has been very helpful to more than just me I think. Cheers all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back