A ROCK QUESTION???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

childreni_440

Reaction score
I was down the paddock earlier and i found some really cool smooth rocks and i was wondering if my childrens and stimsons might like them. I have never been fond of gravel and ocks but what do you guys think should i put a few in thier enclosures and will they like them?

i always put afew nice rocks under the heat light for my snakes apart from my darwins atm they just have nice rough wood to do the same thing on and my olives have heaps of rough bark to shed against

One thing you have to be careful of is that they have a stable base and can't move and crush the snake. They hold the heat really well under basking lights and reptiles love them.

i have a nice flat rock under my heat 2.

thanks what got me thinking about this was my female stimmie always trys and curls up on her hide wich is one of those fake rock sorta ones. Yes they are all sterdy base. how do you treat rocks if at all before putting them with your herps?

I usually soak them in hot water, sometimes with a bit of bleach, give 'em a bit of a scrub, rinse well (to get the bleach off) and dry in the sun.

In the past I've put small ones in the microwave for a minute or two, but I don't think the microwave was designed for rocks. The rocks get bloody hot very quickly too, so be careful removing them.

:p

Hix

Be VERY CAREFUL if you are gonna boil or m/w rocks!!!! If there are any air pockets in the rock it can explode and under the right circumstances, take ya bloody head off!!!

Oh yeah, that's right. I knew there was a good reason to be careful when microwaving rocks!:roll:

:p

Hix

what Greebo said. I use a nice flat one under the basking light for my shingle, great heat sink, he loves to warm his belly after lights out. :wink: p.s stable is crucial, hatchy pyths love to under them!

Can you use a pather for the same job? I am currently setting up an enclosure at the monent.

Cheers,
Wombat.

i have a great big sandstone rock in the basking spot. i bleached it b4 i put it in the enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back