A tempory Australian

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the name comes from when foreign explorers discovered the snake they named it the "deaf adder" as it didn't retreat when they disturbed it. I And over the years it has been adapted to death adder.
I'm pretty sure that's the story about the name.

Nope, was Death Adder, people just dont hear well or others mumble.

Yeh buddy, not so sure about that. There is even a Deaf Adder Gorge in NT. Following the same principles, I did not initially see Nev's typo in the title. This is one of the cornerstones of how our language evolves. Don't get me started on cheynei! ;)

EDIT: Oh yeh, what snakeluvver said.

Last edited:
I think the name comes from when foreign explorers discovered the snake they named it the "deaf adder" as it didn't retreat when they disturbed it. I And over the years it has been adapted to death adder.
I'm pretty sure that's the story about the name.
I heard the exact same thing. Though this could just be one of those urban myths that sounds good so people continue telling it

Lol Nev, ya sook, have a go! If memory serves me correctly, the common name for Acanthophis, once upon a time, was indeed Deaf Adder. Somewhere along the line though it just casually transformed into Death Adder. Would need one of the oldies to confirm that one though. I think they are cute personally.

Hi Aaron, I'm more than happy with being a sook where adders and other vens are concerned and the less I learn about them the further I'll stay away from them.

You're right about the "Deaf Adder" tag. I'm told that in some places they are still referred to as Deaf Adders.

"Cute", well each to their own. To me they are and will remain ugly although I will admit that some other such as W.A. and Northern's have pretty colours.

Hey easy on those with letters after their name ; )

My apologies to you and others with letters after their names.
I had not heard of them being called anything other than Death Adders.

Last edited:
Yep, those death adders are horrible, evil and nasty little creatures!...

It's all fun and games until someone looses an eye....:shock:;):lol:

I think they are ugly, I have never really liked the plain grey ones. There are much nicer ones around IMO, even the red Acanthophis antarcticus is nicer.

Alot of keepers I know free handle their adders, whats the point in keeping them if you just look, feed and clean?
Theres nothing ugly about them, the colour is a little bland but look at the shape!! I love em!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back