A very silly question from a very new snake owner....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twinny

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I got my first snake yesterday, a beautiful 90cm coastal carpet python, and i am going to be feeding her for the first time shortly....

My silly question is how do i know when the mouse is room temperature? Do i have to touch it and squish it a little?

Easiest way to defrost mice or rats is to just throw them in a container and fill with hot water from the tap. Once defrosted fully, just towel off excess water with paper towel and feed. I usually do give it a bit of a squish but if it bothers you, just wear gloves.

cool, thanks for the tip, i can't imagine they would take any overly long time to thaw but definately don't want to accidently give her some frozen ones!

Any other feeding tips anyone might like to offer?

If you squeeze it a little you will know if it has fully defrosted, if it has and you are unsure if it is warm enough pop it into some hot tap water for a min or so and it should be right...

wiggle it infront of her with tongs! Also i just defrost all mine if not fresh killed in hot water from the tap, 10mins seems to be the trick! if you feel around abit in the gut area and cant feel anything cold you are pritty well set! but 10 mins is the most common time it is done for!

Thanks so much everyone.

So i am thinking of feeding her in the bathtub - is this a good idea?
Will she try and climb out?

I am still a little scared handling her at the moment - i have only taken her out once so far and that was when we got her home last night.

She seems fairly placid although she does coil a little when i open the lid.

:D Welcome twinny, coastal pythons are beautiful and I am looking forward to seeing photos of your 'baby' later on
from what I have seen they a great bunch on APS - ready to give advice/experience when asked
and I don't think it was a 'silly question' - it would have been silly if you hadn't asked for help

continue to ask and one day you may find yourself answering the same question for another newbie... ;)

Thanks Mrs Dragon, i have lurked here for a while while i was considering getting a snake!
She is so pretty, i just love her to pieces already.

Kids are nagging me to get her out so i'd better go! Thanks so much for your post.

dont feed in the bathtub.. then you will need to handle her to put back in her cage which you shouldnt do for 24 hours. just as everyone said put the mouse in hot water, not too hot though, and when it feels warm feed away and your coastal should demolish it lol.. let us know how you go

Advice given to me is: DO NOT feed it IN THE CAGE. feed it outside the cage and then put him/her back in.

Why? So that the snake doesn't associate "hands in cage" as feeding time.

I feed mine on an old sheet on the floor and then put her back - there have been no issues with that and she is happy as larry. She also seems to associate the sheet with food now.

Advice given to me is: DO NOT feed it IN THE CAGE. feed it outside the cage and then put him/her back in.

Why? So that the snake doesn't associate "hands in cage" as feeding time.

I feed mine on an old sheet on the floor and then put her back - there have been no issues with that and she is happy as larry. She also seems to associate the sheet with food now.

There is a debate about that! and both sides make good responses! I feed out of cages becuase whilst they are having a chew its a good time to get in and clean! Lets please not make this a debate about feeding in and out of cages!

Last edited:
like barno said theres two sides to the argument. i feed mine in he cage, others dont. its up to you really....

I feed both ways, as I have enclosures with more than one I take 1 out and feed them in a tub, leave it there for a while then place them back. I have had no real issues with feeding in or out of their enclosures.

Good luck with your new baby and hope to see piccies soon

it needs to be hotter than room temperature, unless you have a very hot room. it needs to be at body temperature, about 37C

I feed mine in his cage, but between feeds I open the doors to clean and move his furniture around sometimes so he learns that food doesn't come every time the door is open. I use tweezers to lay the food near his head if possible. I've only had my boy for about 7 weeks and I'm a whimp and still a bit nervous about picking him up, so I put on some soft cotton gloves when I pick him up, I'm very slow and gentle and he's fine. One day when I'm more confident I'll pick him up with my bare hands. Just do what is comfortable for you....slow and steady.

Good luck

and does that mean that i can't handle her again tonight?

I am feeding her the baby mice with a tiny bit of fluff - they look pretty soft and squishy to me.

Grannieannie, i am still scared too! I have only had her for 24 hours!

I used gardening gloves last night and then took them off while she was in my hands.

I think i am making her nervous because i am nervous if you know what i mean!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back