AaE Response to Member concerns and questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have found that by actually ringing the AAE port and not the 1300 (or whatever generic number ) I get the best info on times and what flights actually take livestock.

After turning up at Newy airport AFTER I HAD ALREADY BOOKED WITH THE MAIN OFFICE, I was told that the flight I was booked on didn't take livestock... So there were delays and communications with the receiver of the animal but it got sorted and now I only ring the AAE port at Newy as they seem to know what is going on.

Thanks for the response to my points *thumbs up* :D

AaE is still worlds in front of VirginBlue/Patricks...

My issues have all been parrot related, not reptile - never had a problem moving my frillies with AaE. Some of the issues I've struck with freighting my birds have been that birds are classified differently again.. They're not pets (even though they are), they're sometimes not animals (though I'm pretty sure they are... :p) and they sort of slip through the cracks and cause difficulties in interpreting the rules.

Last edited:
I have found that by actually ringing the AAE port and not the 1300 (or whatever generic number ) I get the best info on times and what flights actually take livestock.

I can never get through on the direct number/s for the Brisbane depot (they don't answer)
When I phone the the 13 number, no problems, and whoever I talk to is always super helpful :)

Had a great experience this time with shipping. The petbookings email worked brilliantly and I got everything sorted within a half hour. When I got to the airport and they weighed my box, it turned out that I was charged LESS than I had been quoted (saved $6!). My snake went on the correct flight, recipient was happy and everything was good.

For readers who do not regularly ship or receive reptiles, they seemed very happy with this packaging:
DSC03814.jpg

DSC03815.jpg

DSC03817.jpg

DSC03818.jpg

After turning up at Newy airport AFTER I HAD ALREADY BOOKED WITH THE MAIN OFFICE, I was told that the flight I was booked on didn't take livestock... So there were delays and communications with the receiver of the animal but it got sorted and now I only ring the AAE port at Newy as they seem to know what is going on.

As a footnote to this , I shipped one today at Newy and could not have had better service. Thanks Jen, behind the desk, it was a pleasure doing business with you. (oops, does that sound a bit wrong!) Lol cheers!

Hi Moose,
Because our Freight terminals are not 24 / 7 we are strongly recommending that customers make a booking with AaE before they lodge their livestock for air transport.
When you make a booking with AaE we can check the service availability via our reservations system and advise if the port is open or not for Freight. If the service is not available we can't make a booking and thereby can avoid the scenario that you have described

With 70+ ports in the domestic air network it is difficult for front counter staff to advise you of the opening and closing hours of all these ports if you lodge without a booking, so our best approach is to check the port's service availability when we make a booking on your behalf.

That way if your livestock shipment does not arrive there will be someone who can assist in identifying where your shipment is.

I hope that response is of assistance

kind regards

AaE_Asp

Hi Moose,
Because our Freight terminals are not 24 / 7 we are strongly recommending that customers make a booking with AaE before they lodge their livestock for air transport.
When you make a booking with AaE we can check the service availability via our reservations system and advise if the port is open or not for Freight. If the service is not available we can't make a booking and thereby can avoid the scenario that you have described

With 70+ ports in the domestic air network it is difficult for front counter staff to advise you of the opening and closing hours of all these ports if you lodge without a booking, so our best approach is to check the port's service availability when we make a booking on your behalf.

That way if your livestock shipment does not arrive there will be someone who can assist in identifying where your shipment is.

I hope that response is of assistance

kind regards

AaE_Asp

Hi Stevo2

Comment 1 - Acceptance Window - Yes it is a bit confusing - we are aware of this and yes we plan to fix this when we schedule a release of changes to the website. This has not yet been scheduled, but we will get there.

Comment 2 - Regarding opening hours - The best way to address this issue is to make a booking with AaE . When you make a booking with AaE we check the service availability of your request and the capacity , if the port is not open we can tell you then.

best wishes

AaE_Asp

AeE_Asp , i was more referring to the security of parcels at the pick up point as there was no one to ask me for identification.

Moose

As much as that plywood box is a first class effort, having no additional styrofoam box to insulate reptiles from over heating in the summer months would be taking a big risk. Obviously where we live, it is critical.

The plywood seems to be required, so had to go with that. Given that it's winter and a flight from Sydney to Melbourne with a snake that's been fasting, paper insulation and plastic is sufficient. If I was in your part of Australia, it would be a whole different set of challenges!

Hi to all
Although we have been working on this activity AaE has not yet published Guidelines for Reptile & Snake Lodgement. I had been hoping that we would get it published by today as noted in one of the posts above but unfortunately we aren’t quite there yet. So rather than completely disappoint (Sorry Colin) I thought I would provide an outline of the topic that we are planning to cover.

Non-Venomous Snakes and Lizards.
· Snakes and Lizards under 60cm (24 inches)
· Larger Snakes and Lizards (longer than 60cm)
· Lizards over 120cms (48 inches)
Venomous Snakes and Lizards.

General conditions of acceptance

In developing the content we are taking note of the many posts in this discussion forum.

A couple of questions - I am interested does any one want information on crocodiles? Would that be helpful ? Is there some other topic that you would like to see covered ? Happy for posts.

As a general comment in developing our guidelines we note that IATA neither endorses nor approves any specific packaging solution for any Livestock. Their requirement is that the container satisfies the Live Animal Regulations (LAR). AaE will take the same approach.

We will keep you posted on our progress.

Best wishes
AaE_Asp

Hi AAE, Crocs aren't something that we trade regularly don't hold up things because of crocs. Currently only NT, Vic and SA are allowed to trade in Crocs.

Thanks

AaE_Asp,

A consistent problem that I have with the system is very frustrating, due to the nature of what I do we travel with the reptiles as accompanied freight, consistently as we go through Brisbane, allowing on average 90 minutes between flights the reptiles are left behind. Today is a perfect example, I lodged them in Rockhampton as accompanied animals, nearly a two hour stop in Brisbane, arrive in Melbourne and go to AaE. They tell me there are NO animals on the flight I came on....phone calls made, an hour later....they have located them in Brisbane, they will be on a flight that arrives at 7:20......thats 4 hours after they should have arrived......they have been left for 4 hours somewhere in Brisbane....AaE blame QANTAS, QANTAS blame AaE. AaE shift manager Melbourne blames AaE Brisbane and tells me "it happens". Now instead of getting home at 5:30pm.....I wont get home till 9:30......THANKS AaE....just what I needed after getting up at 4am this morning!

Hi to all
Although we have been working on this activity AaE has not yet published Guidelines for Reptile & Snake Lodgement. I had been hoping that we would get it published by today as noted in one of the posts above but unfortunately we aren’t quite there yet. So rather than completely disappoint (Sorry Colin) I thought I would provide an outline of the topic that we are planning to cover.

Non-Venomous Snakes and Lizards.
· Snakes and Lizards under 60cm (24 inches)
· Larger Snakes and Lizards (longer than 60cm)
· Lizards over 120cms (48 inches)
Venomous Snakes and Lizards.

General conditions of acceptance

In developing the content we are taking note of the many posts in this discussion forum.

A couple of questions - I am interested does any one want information on crocodiles? Would that be helpful ? Is there some other topic that you would like to see covered ? Happy for posts.

As a general comment in developing our guidelines we note that IATA neither endorses nor approves any specific packaging solution for any Livestock. Their requirement is that the container satisfies the Live Animal Regulations (LAR). AaE will take the same approach.

Best wishes
AaE_Asp

Has anything been done for the above information?

For someone who doesn't frieght very much at all, I got on the AAE website to try and get information on pricing etc and find it a very hard site to use for a reptile person.
Move over Cats and Dog reptiles are the pets of the future :) There should be a reptile specific section and if there is i apologise but i can find it.
Does anyone have the Brisbane depot number so i can call them directly? cheers in advance

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience freighting reptiles from Sydney to Darwin with AAE? I've only ever freighted to QLD, VIC, SA and rural NSW using AAE.

Since the price rise regular reptile freight (under a kilo) to QLD & VIC has cost me $75 each (from the past cost $50-$55)

I enquired by email yesterday about the cost to freight live reptiles in a box approx 12 inches x 8 inches x 8 inches and under a kilo in weight from Sydney to Darwin.

this was the reply
Hi Colin, As an estimated price it will be $121 Regards, Mick
AaE Pet Bookings

$121 can this be correct?

Col , Thats what i was quoted yesterday but its wrong, in that quote there is extra fee for insurance ??
Tell them you dont need insurance , then the price will be $75 .

Roger

Last edited by a moderator:
Col , Thats what i was quoted yesterday but its wrong, in that quote there is extra fee for insurance ??
Tell them you dont need insurance , then the price will be $75 .

Roger

thanks for that roger.. will do.. thats more like it

Hi to all
Although we have been working on this activity AaE has not yet published Guidelines for Reptile & Snake Lodgement. I had been hoping that we would get it published by today as noted in one of the posts above but unfortunately we aren’t quite there yet.

Best wishes
AaE_Asp

Any news on the guidelines?

Hi Col,
I sent one to Mackay on Wednesday (via Brisbane) that was approximately 14 inches x 9 x 5 ( a 7L sistema) and it cost $65 (previously $51).

I used the online booking system. It went very smoothly and Mick was very helpful with info and fast email and telephone responses.

I also had no dramas at the airport...although it was 0445 and the guy had no idea about any changes and looked like he had been at work for about 24hrs :D.

Cheers,
Dave.

hello and welcome

personally i've had NO problems with delivery by AAE, in fact the guys here at Broken Hill are so nice and friendly that i dont sign the paperwork till i have checked the lizards have arrived safe and sound, the main reason i do this in front of the couriers is if an animal arrives here dead or injured then REX cant try to blame AAE, ive already had them try to pass the buck when i noticed the baggage handlers 'throw' a box onto the trolley and realised when it was bought to the luggage collection area that it was MY delivery which contained a very small fragile gecko luckily no damage had been done now i watch them like a hawk while they unload the cargo

ok now i do have a question (quickly read the other pages) around July i am having a gecko sent from Melb - Broken Hill, the sender has worked out a quote of around $70 yet im reading prices are rising? it will naturally be the minimum size,weight etc so how do we find out the new price? also with all the new changes going on how 'we' find out the new book in times etc? he is a very busy student and i would like to assist him with the updated info so he doesnt have to worry to much about it and we both know whats going on, also how will this package travel? Melb -Syd -Broken Hill or Melb-Adelaide-Broken Hill, these are our only two options here

also these small gecko's/lizards are usually put into a small chinese take away container which is then packed into a larger click clack with paper screwed up around it for protection will this still be a suitable container for shipping or is there a new rule of packaging?

thanks

Hi Col,
I sent one to Mackay on Wednesday (via Brisbane) that was approximately 14 inches x 9 x 5 ( a 7L sistema) and it cost $65 (previously $51).

I used the online booking system. It went very smoothly and Mick was very helpful with info and fast email and telephone responses.

I also had no dramas at the airport...although it was 0445 and the guy had no idea about any changes and looked like he had been at work for about 24hrs :D.

Cheers,
Dave.

Hi dave, well thats weird. both of us are in Sydney and when I freighted last, two to brisbane and one to melbourne they slugged me $75 each box!!! and they were smaller dimensions than yours and under a kilo in weight each box. I booked mine through through the online system (by email) and mick phoned me also and was helpful. But why isnt there some standard pricing guidelines when I got charged $75 AT the Mascot AAE office desk and you got charged $65 for ex Sydney to QLD? Both packages under a kilo and mine had smaller dimensions.

How can this be AAE representative member? what are the prices in relation to weight and sizes please? Why isnt there some written guidelines on the site (or is there?) covering this so we dont get charged different prices for the same size/weight to the same state destination from the same AAE office? I think its a fair question as I freight quite a few reptiles using AAE and have been a customer of AAE for years. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have always shipped in 7L sistemas , I normally get charged $51.00 to brissy ... the last one I sent to brissy , same size and weight as normal was $34.00 and that was only about 3-4 weeks ago ... No idea why but I have been charged around $30 a few times in the past too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back